VeggieBoards banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you for taking the time to read this. I followed a really good soy milk/tofu recipe on YouTube and the first time it came out perfect. Since then I am having problems making soy milk and the soy milk won´t coagulate at all. I have been using a lime/water combo as the coagulant and I´ve read that it is down on the list, that calcium sulfate is the best. Where I live in central Mexico, Nagari is not easy to come by. Here are my direct questions...

1. Could my cheap/crappy blender be affecting the quality of soy milk I am making thus making the tofu process impossible? The soy milk separates a lot before it boils and it doesn´t stay "milky", it get very grainy. The quality of the beans look really good so I don´t think it is the beans.

2. Could I possibly not be stirring the soy milk enough while it is heating? I saw some videos where people barely stir the soy milk before it boils.

3. Does anyone have a sure-fire method to make large quantity batches in a large tofu mold?

The reason this is so important to me is that I work at a vegetarian orphanage in central Mexico and tofu down here is very expensive to buy so I need to learn to make 200-500 blocks (130 grams each more or less - 4.5 ounces) for the kids to eat here EACH WEEK!!!

Here is the website of the orphanage:

www.Tashirat.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I thought I was going the "healthier" route by using limes and water, but this week I am ordering a bag of calcium sulfate to see how it goes. I have read mixed review about it.

If we an learn to make tofu here, the kids can also turn it into a mini-business and possibly supply a nearby affluent community´s health food stores, which is a huge bonus for them. They got really exited when I made my first batch, and for the life of me the past 3 out of the last 15 I have tried have come out. I have been very scientific about the approach, to try to figure out what variable I changed and I have it down to the blender (maybe) and the better quality beans I bought.

Thank you so much for your time.

Chris

The recipe I am following is listed below.

How to Make Tofu
1. Make Soymilk
· Soak soybeans overnight (up to 2 days maximum - mínimum 6 hours)
· In a blender, put 1 1/2 cups soaked beans to 2 1/2 cups of water and blend well so all beans are properly pulverized
· Strain the milk at this stage with cheesecloth or with a juice strainer to make the process faster if you don´t want the okara.

Put strained milk into a soup pot.
·

Bring the soymilk to a boil being mindful to stir every few minutes so solids don´t form at the bottom of the pot.

2. Make Coagulant Mixture (as you are making soymilk)
· Coagulant mixture = per ¼ kilo of pre-soaked beans, ½ cup water & 2 tablespoons of lemon juice

3. Make Tofu
· After the soymilk is brought to a boil, remove from heat and let it sit
for 3 minutes.
· Add half of the coagulant mixture and stir through for 1 minute.
· Put the spoon down and stop the spinning motion of the milk and let it sit for 2 mins.
· Pour in the rest of the coagulant, stir in a gentle back and forth motion, making sure the coagulant gets to all parts.
· Once you start seeing little lumps appear cover the pot for 20 minutes.
·

The pressing process I have down. The rest I am messing up somewhere.

·

1 - 1 of 1 Posts