1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
the arm and hammer is just baking soda right? there are other brands of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) that do not test on animals, Whole Foods has some that is good, also generic usually is not tested on animals so look for those when you shop.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, Google says baking soda is sodium bicarbonate and you can eat it, washing soda is sodium carbonate and you can't. I don't know if using baking soda instead would work or not.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeitanWorship View Post

Hmm, Google says baking soda is sodium bicarbonate and you can eat it, washing soda is sodium carbonate and you can't. I don't know if using baking soda instead would work or not.
Well, the sodium carbonate would have twice as much sodium per mole (although only about 1.6 times as much sodium per unit weight -- slightly more than table salt), and it would be pretty basic, whereas bicarbonate is almost neutral, but it's not as if it's toxic (except insofar as, like table salt and baking soda, too much sodium can be toxic). Of course, if you're talking laundry detergent not intended for human consumption, then it might not be up to the purity standards of baking soda intended for food.

(Insert I am not a doctor and don't even play one on TV disclaimer.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts