1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I recently purchased a soya milk maker and tofu press from Soyquick

I tried home made tofu yesterday

Basically made the soy milk as per the instructions and added one pack of tofu coagulator

drained through cheese cloth

pressed for a couple of hours in fridge

But the tofu came out very very liquidy, bit yoghurty in texture and i was unable to eat or cook with it

Has anyone got any tips for tofu making? i would like a nice firm block!

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
I've never made tofu myself, but it sounds like you need to press it. Put it on a plate and put something on it that is heavy enough to squeeze it but not so heavy it just crushes it (like a heavy plate or a plate and a jar of mustard). The idea is to press the excess water out of your block of tofu. The more water that's pressed out, the firmer it will become.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The tofu I make uses simple white vinegar and soya milk.

The milk is brought to a very gentle simmer then the vinegar is added very slowly.

The milk will curdle, then you do the cheese cloth thing and squeeze ALL liquid that you can out of it.

I usually end up with a ball of tofu but as long as you squeeze as much water as you can I'm sure that you can mould it as long as the tofu is under pressure.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
I've never made tofu myself, but it sounds like you need to press it
I did drain and press the tofu. In fact I put the press on top and then 5KGs of weights which should have been heavy enough! (they recommend a small bowl of water to weigh it down which is much less)

The problem was probably with the consistency of the soya milk, or the amount of water to coagulator.

Just wondering if anyone has a precise formula.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have been making tofu for years. After I curdle the soymilk I use a wire stainer and ladel to separate the curds from the whey. I discard the whey and press the curds. I don't think draining through a cheese cloth will get all the whey out. I use for 2 1/2 cups of soybeans either I cup warm water and 1/4 cup vinegar or 1 tsp and 1 cup warm water. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
have been making tofu for years. After I curdle the soymilk I use a wire stainer and ladel to separate the curds from the whey. I discard the whey and press the curds. I don't think draining through a cheese cloth will get all the whey out. I use for 2 1/2 cups of soybeans either I cup warm water and 1/4 cup vinegar or 1 tsp and 1 cup warm water. I hope this helps.
Thanks Lelena!

Couple of questions.

- what type of wire strainer? Would a standard sieve work?

- when do you add the vinegar and what type of vinegar?

Basically I'm using home made soya milk which is about 100g of soya beans and just over a litre of water. Adding the coagulator when just cooked (and still hot) and then leaving for curds to form for about 12 mins. Then straining through the cheese cloth and pressing.

I tried again last night and the results were a lot better. I just 'pressed' on the curds more and drained out all the fluid i could. But I was suprised at how little tofu I got! The tofu is not GREAT tofu, but OK.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Your welcome. Yeah, a standard wire sieve. I just dip it into the whey and ladel it out so that I am left with mostly curds. I use either white vinegar or apple cider vinegar. I add the the coagulator in thirds, five minutes between, gently stirring to encourage curds to form and then leaving it alone. Making sure you get as much whey out as possible is what gives you firmer tofu. One thing though you get better tasting tofu with niagri than with vinegar. I use vinegar when I am in a pinch.

I'm not metric, so I am not sure how much 100g is, but 2 1/2 cups of dried soybeans usually yields about 1 lb of tofu.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelena View Post

Your welcome. Yeah, a standard wire sieve. I just dip it into the whey and ladel it out so that I am left with mostly curds. I use either white vinegar or apple cider vinegar. I add the the coagulator in thirds, five minutes between, gently stirring to encourage curds to form and then leaving it alone. Making sure you get as much whey out as possible is what gives you firmer tofu. One thing though you get better tasting tofu with niagri than with vinegar. I use vinegar when I am in a pinch.

I'm not metric, so I am not sure how much 100g is, but 2 1/2 cups of dried soybeans usually yields about 1 lb of tofu.
Thanks Lelena!

Just a quick dumb question, but do you use vinegar AND coagulator or either?

Do you have any reciepes or ideas for flavouring the tofu?

Thanks for the link Misty that's a really good site.

·
Registered
709 Posts
No problem. I use either/or. I usually use vinegar when I run out of coagulator. I tend to eat a lot of tofu, about 1- 1 1/2 lbs a week and I use it in different ways. I have tons of receipes, what type are you looking for? I tend to eat mostly Korean and Chinese food so I'll season the tofu accordingly. I also occasionally make desserts with tofu like cheesecake, ice cream, cannolis, puddings and danishes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelena View Post

No problem. I use either/or. I usually use vinegar when I run out of coagulator. I tend to eat a lot of tofu, about 1- 1 1/2 lbs a week and I use it in different ways. I have tons of receipes, what type are you looking for? I tend to eat mostly Korean and Chinese food so I'll season the tofu accordingly. I also occasionally make desserts with tofu like cheesecake, ice cream, cannolis, puddings and danishes.
Thanks

I'm not really into sweet stuff, I'm more keen on savory tofu.

I like tofu with tamari and seeds which I usually just soak the tofu in. But I was wondering whether you could 'add' ingredients during the tofu making process at some point. I'm quite interested in Chinese/Korean ideas...what is your best recipe!?!

Thanks once again...x

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have never tried adding anything when actually making tofu, but I think it might disturb the curds from forming. My favorite Korean tofu dish is Barbecued Tofu which is from "Flavors of Korea"

Marinade:

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup rice vinegar

1 Tablespoon gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)

2 teaspoons sugar

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 lb firm tofu, cut into slices 3" long by 1" wide by 1/2" thick

1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable (or olive) oil with 4-5 drops of sesame oil

Mix the marinade indgredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a biol and stir to dissolve gochujang and sugar. Remove from heat. Marinade tofu for 8 hours or over night. ( I make a batch that will last all week and fry as needed) In a large frying pan, heat oil over med-high heat. Place 4-5 slices of tofu in the pan at a time and cook until lightly brown, around 3 minutes, turn and brown other sides.

For Chinese tofu, I like stir fries. I cube the tofu and then heat a large fying pan over high heat. When the pan is hot add 1-2 teaspoons of sesame, peanut or olive oil. When the oil is hot add the tofu and brown. Then I add the veggies and then when they are done a stir fry sauce. I make it different each time. But here is my favorite combo for quick a stir fry sauce:

2 Tablespoon soy sauce

1 teaspoon cornstarch

a pinch of white pepper

2 cloves of garlic, minced

1 Tablespoon of sherry

1 teaspoon tabasco sauce

Mix everything and add when tofu and veggies are done. Reduce heat to low and stir, cooking for 2 minutes more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts