VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to find a Tofurky near me in Ontario (nearest place is somewhere in Toronto area), so I was considering making one (using the tofu in the collander method) this Christmas instead.

Is this a reasonable (or better yet) a good idea?

Has anyone else made their own immitation turkey at home? How about successfully? :p

I was planning to just buy an original Tofurky for the first time in my 7 years of vegetarianism this holiday season, but can not find a store that carries them anywhere near me. Someone else kindly posted the link for mail ordering a Tofurky, buyt I'm not sure I like the idea of mail ordering food too much...

I really want to be able to impress my family with this dinner. Anyone have any tips on making your own tofurky at home?

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
It depends on your family.

Are they vegetarian?

Do they like tofu and faux meat style dishes?

I made it one year and wasn't overly thrilled. It was "good", you know? But not thrilling.

But I never understood the need to have an imitation for the actual turkey, we usually do a stuffed squash or some sort of veg-nut-grain 'loaf' instead.

If you really like tofu, it's a good Holiday meal option, but try it ahead of time to be sure.

Also, Bryanna Clark Grogan has a couple wonderful "Turkey" recipes that are a fair bit of work, but very good and I've made them for "almost vegetarian" friends (people who were still occasionally omni, but very familiar with tofu, seitan, etc) and they loved it.

http://www.vegsource.com/articles/br...xmas_print.htm

(Scroll down the page)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Ask your grocer if they will stock them for the holidays. often they will! Especially if you have a health food store near you.

That said, I am vegetarian, not vegan, and I like the quorn roast much better than the tofurky.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT_E_M View Post

I can't seem to find a Tofurky near me in Ontario (nearest place is somewhere in Toronto area), so I was considering making one (using the tofu in the collander method) this Christmas instead.

Is this a reasonable (or better yet) a good idea?
Its not a bad idea but there are much better ideas that have come out in the past 10 years.

Quote:
Has anyone else made their own immitation turkey at home? How about successfully? :p
Yes, I made Bryanna Grogan's seitan roulade with yuba skin (do a google search). It was great. I was told it was very similar to the Un Turkey. Since the Un Turkey doesn't cost much more than the ingredients for the roulade and doesn't take half a day to make I am getting the Un Turkey this year. If I couldn't get one locally I would make the roulade again.

Quote:
I was planning to just buy an original Tofurky for the first time in my 7 years of vegetarianism this holiday season, but can not find a store that carries them anywhere near me. Someone else kindly posted the link for mail ordering a Tofurky, buyt I'm not sure I like the idea of mail ordering food too much...
I suspect the tofurkey would be fine at refridgerator temp for a week at least. If it did arrive thawed, you wouldn't want to refreeze it. How about ordering one to arrive 1-2 days before christmas? It will probably arrive frozen but even if it shows up thawed it should have never been above 45ish in Ontario in December.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Remi has some good points re: shipping Tofurky. I think it'd be fine.

That said, I got inspired after reading this thread and since I hadn't made it in a year or so, I made Bryanna's Seitan Turkey this afternoon (just plain, NOT with the "skin" since I didn't have the yuba or want to take the time...).

It's the link I posted above. Same as what Remi was referring to.

I do season just a little differently - putting fresh sage and a little lemon in the broth for example - It turns out great though!

It slices up so nice for sandwiches and stuff too.

My ex (omni) came by to pick up the kids and he tried it and really liked it so I sent about half of it home with him.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

It depends on your family.

Are they vegetarian?

Do they like tofu and faux meat style dishes?
What she said

If your family gets wigged out by the faux meats that try really hard to simulate real meat, I have a recipe that might just work out for you. Check this out.

http://www.ivu.org/recipes/holiday/turkey-j.html

It's really rather "bready" and stuffing-like... except a lot more dense and moist and flavorful. Completely different from the Tofurky type. I made it a few years in a row a while back and my b/f and I really liked it, and all our omni family tried it and said it was good as well.

Even if you decide this isn't what you're looking for, you should check out the rest of the site for side dishes and dessert recipes. They have lots of reeeeally yummy stuff that isn't just the standard mashed potatoes or green bean casserole... I like to try something new every year. good luck

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
After trying several much shorter cooking time recipes for a Seitan Roulade where it just didn't cook through (and raw seitan is way gross), I finally sucked it up yesterday and did the 5 hr Bryanna Clark Grogan seitan roulade. I finished at like 10:30 pm. lol. It says it's better the next day so we're going to have it for dinner tonight. If it works out, then that's what I'm making for Thanksgiving (only with a fancier stuffing than the bagged stuff I used yesterday... probably a wild rice/dried cranberries/nut deal). If it doesn't work out... I'll probably just make a stuffed pumpkin as a centerpiece and eat tons of carbs.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Okay, my bf and I ate the seitan roulade that I spent all day making yesterday and to put it simply: YUM! It was DEFINITELY worth spending the entire evening yesterday monitoring it in the oven. This is going to be on the Thanksgiving menu this year for sure. My bf ate four pieces of it, and when he saw me taking a picture of it before I wrapped it up tonight, he asked if he would have to come onto VB and type up a "carnivore testimonial" of how good it was
(I said I'd manage)

So this one I just stuffed with stuffing that came out of a bag that you add broth to. I am going to make a fancier stuffing when I make it for Thanksgiving. It tastes better than it looks!! The texture is wonderful too. I also made butternut squash risotto that was creamy and delicious and that will also be on the menu.
LL

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
^^^ OMG that looks so GOOD! I <3 Bryanna's recipes.

We shredded the "turkey" I made yesterday and had BBQ turkey sandwiches today for lunch. My kids would have eaten obscene amounts if I'd had more.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you are looking for a store in the Toronto area that sells good faux meat products head to Markham, there is a Chineese Vegetarian store in the Market Village mall (the one right next to Pacific Mall at Steeles and Kennedy) It sells every variation of faux meat you could ever hope for: seafood, pork, beef, chicken, chicken drumsticks...the whole store is devoted to the stuff. Its mostly frozen and the products are made from various "vegetable protiens" or gluten based...some list soy on the ingredients. I bought a "chicken" for thanksgiving....it was shaped like a 'real' chicken with the legs and the skin texture and everything! Quite the marvel, roasted it with some rosemary and veg...it was pretty good! Even did hot 'chicken' sandwiches with mushroom gravy on leftover day.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

^^^ OMG that looks so GOOD! I <3 Bryanna's recipes.

We shredded the "turkey" I made yesterday and had BBQ turkey sandwiches today for lunch. My kids would have eaten obscene amounts if I'd had more.
It is most excellent.. but y'know... 5+ hrs is a LOT of time to commit to a recipe! It doesn't take that long to bake bread! lol.

I'm thinking over christmas break I may make a few of the non-roulade all day "turkeys" and freeze them in reasonable sized portions to cook with, because I think it would go well in like, un-chicken and dumplings, for example.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
It IS a long time. I usually make the 'shorter' version as I didn't see much difference in the all-day "turkey" (NOT the roulade, which DOES deserve all that time). It's handy to have in the freezer.

There are a lot of ways to use it that are so yummy.

Not-turkey potpie is my kids' favorite, along with the above shredded-BBQ stuff

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys for the tips and that.

Yes, my family is pretty open and accepting of vegetarian foods (even mock meats). In fact, my boyfriend and my mom are both actually looking forward to trying it!

Thanks for the tip cinnamon_heart, I never even thought of checking Loblaws (although I did check Sobeys, No Frills, and Price Chopper). I would be SO happy if I found a real Tofurky there!

I'm disappointed that no one has any feedback on making their own immitation turkey at home. I did manage to find a couple different recipes though however, this being the one I chose just in case I can't find the real thing...

http://www.yak.net/fqa/296.html

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT_E_M View Post

I'm disappointed that no one has any feedback on making their own immitation turkey at home. I did manage to find a couple different recipes though however, this being the one I chose just in case I can't find the real thing...

http://www.yak.net/fqa/296.html

What do you guys think?
Uhm... read back the thread. Remi, Tofu and I all talked about making "Turkey" dishes at home. Heck, Tofu and I included pictures of the final results!

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Yes, I made Bryanna Grogan's seitan roulade with yuba skin (do a google search). It was great. I was told it was very similar to the Un Turkey. Since the Un Turkey doesn't cost much more than the ingredients for the roulade and doesn't take half a day to make I am getting the Un Turkey this year. If I couldn't get one locally I would make the roulade again.
That roulade is awesome. Did you make the Roasted Vegetable and Sundried Tomato stuffing too?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.