VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone have suggestions for a good ice cream maker? I'm hoping to find one that doesn't require ice - any thoughts?
I have a thought but you probably will not like it.
Don't buy an ice cream maker that doesn't use ice.
I bought one and wound up throwing it away. It would not make ice cream that was firm enough for me (and it took forever). I did not spend a lot for it, so perhaps the expensive ones work better. If you like soft, mushy ice cream, give it a try. I'll stick to the old fashioned ice method.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a thought but you probably will not like it.
Don't buy an ice cream maker that doesn't use ice.
I bought one and wound up throwing it away. It would not make ice cream that was firm enough for me (and it took forever). I did not spend a lot for it, so perhaps the expensive ones work better. If you like soft, mushy ice cream, give it a try. I'll stick to the old fashioned ice method.
This is a great one - I use it all the time. It makes perfect ice cream - nice and creamy, and takes about 15-20 minutes. Make sure you freeze the ice cream bowl at least 24 hours or more before each use - I freeze it a minimum of 32 hours. Also, your freezer has to be at a minimum of 0 degrees. Any warmer and you won't have ideal results. (I test it with a freezer thermometer).

In addition, these types of ice cream makers produce ice cream that's on the soft side, so if you want it firmer, you need to freeze it further for a few hours. You can just leave it in its bowl or transfer it to an airtight container.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is a great one - I use it all the time. It makes perfect ice cream maker here - nice and creamy, and takes about 15-20 minutes. Make sure you freeze the ice cream bowl at least 24 hours or more before each use - I freeze it a minimum of 32 hours. Also, your freezer has to be at a minimum of 0 degrees. Any warmer and you won't have ideal results. (I test it with a freezer thermometer).

In addition, these types of ice cream makers produce ice cream that's on the soft side, so if you want it firmer, you need to freeze it further for a few hours. You can just leave it in its bowl or transfer it to an airtight container.
I know but I hate the ice method because I have to keep my freezer stocked up with ice or go to the store and buy some and with the frozen bowl ones, you have to plan ahead to make sure that the bowl is frozen for it to work or keep it in the freezer all the time. I've been looking at some that cool themselves. Does anyone have any experience with these? This is one that I have my eye on. It's a Whynter ice cream maker.

This seems like it might do the trick - no ice, no frozen bowl. Just plug it in and go. Usually, I get the urge to make ice cream and I want some instant gratification. Has anyone used one and how well did it work?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts