VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an email from my school.. I've been accepted into the PhD program

This is very exciting... and very scary... and... wow.

I start... next month. I'll be a Joint MSW/PhD student.. and I graduate in May with my MSW, but start my PhD program this spring as well. I have to drop an MSW class I was looking forward to taking to take a PhD class instead... but.. woah...

Next challenge is: will they fund me? Without financial support from the school, I won't be able to go beyond this semester... in which case I'll take the 12 credits I get this spring (since I've already paid for them as an MSW student) and then either go part time (I can afford 1 class at a time), or defer and try to get them to pay for me again in a year.

Crazy. And people though I wouldn't graduate High School. lol!

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescas View Post

Whats a phD and a MSW?

I dont know anything about american or english schooling
lol.

A PhD is a Doctoral degree.

An MSW is a Masters of Social Work.

A Joint MSW/PhD means I spend my last semester in the Masters program taking PhD classes and get credit towards both degrees.

If you want to track the entire American schooling system...

(there are overlaps because different districts have different age cut offs for starting school etc...)

Elementary school is ages about 4-12

Middle school is about 11-15

High school is about 14-18

After high school you can go to college..

A 2 year degree is an Associates Degree

A 4 year degree is a Bachelors Degree

After the Bachelors you can go onto something like Medical School or Law School or... what I did

Another 2 years of school is a Masters Degree

Then another 2+ years of school is a PhD

You can also do some of these degrees concurrantly, like a Bachelors/Masters, or a Masters/PhD.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
>>

I start... next month. I'll be a Joint MSW/PhD student.. and I graduate in May with my MSW, but start my PhD program this spring as well. I have to drop an MSW class I was looking forward to taking to take a PhD class instead... but.. woah...

>>

Heh...I'm pretty ignorant even though I'm in a ****ing sociology program. Did you or do you have to do a masters thesis?

ebola

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome Chomsky View Post

Heh...I'm pretty ignorant even though I'm in a ****ing sociology program. Did you or do you have to do a masters thesis?

ebola
Negative. We do 1000 hrs of internship, plus have required research classes, and apparently that makes up for not doing a masters thesis.

I will have to do a doctoral dissertation though.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Congrats!

My husband is about halfway through his doctorate (one more semester of classes and 1 year to get his dissertation done). He did basically the same thing you did and just went from undergrad, to the masters program, to a PhD program. He'll be 26 when he is finished with his PhD. (He's in Geography in case anyone was wondering)

He has been a teaching assistant through his Masters and PhD programs. We've been fortunate to have funding (even though it is tiny!) so, I know what you mean about funding. Hopefully they'll be able to fund you so you won't have to wait for a year.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

Congrats!

My husband is about halfway through his doctorate (one more semester of classes and 1 year to get his dissertation done). He did basically the same thing you did and just went from undergrad, to the masters program, to a PhD program. He'll be 26 when he is finished with his PhD. (He's in Geography in case anyone was wondering)

He has been a teaching assistant through his Masters and PhD programs. We've been fortunate to have funding (even though it is tiny!) so, I know what you mean about funding. Hopefully they'll be able to fund you so you won't have to wait for a year.
I actually took 4 yrs off after undergrad. I'm 27 now. I may be able to get my doctorate done by the time I'm 30 though!!

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Congratulations - you've obviously worked very hard and done very well! Woohoo to you!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts