VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone expecting for the holidays in terms of gifts?

Here is my Christmas wishlist given to my parents.

BOOKS

The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky

The Satanic Verses by Rushdie

MOVIES

Party Monster

Storytelling

TV ON DVD

X-Files Season 1

Boondocks Season 1

VIDEO GAMES

Suikoden II

Vandal Hearts II

It all totals to about approximately 200 dollars. I think that's fair.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm hoping to get some vegan cookbooks for Christmas/birthday. I have several vegetarian cookbooks but none specifically vegan yet.

Something for the kitchen would be nice to. I could use a new tea kettle. One that whistles would be nice so I don't forget about it and boil away all the water. (I've lost track how many times I've done that lol)

·
Registered
79 Posts
As usual, I'm expecting "practical" gifts from the family, like a new umbrella or expired gift cards for a luggage store. What I really want is a new lens for my camera, new running spikes for track, and a Starbucks card or two. Probably won't happen, though, since my espresso "habit" is frowned upon by the family.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
There's not really anything I want. I'm notorious for impulse buying stuff I want. My dad & stepmom will give me a gift card. My mom and stepdad will give me money. Usually I give my brother & his gf $40, they give me $40. It works out nicely.
Money would be really good right now. I hate being in debt regarding anything, even my car. So i'm in a rush to pay off everything.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I may ask for winter boots?.

My parents are retired so asking for a long list of expensive goodies would be silly. I guess my self gift is to get a pair of killifish.

Besides that things I really want, are not really "things". What I want is to not be bleeding, in pain or get a sucessful way to earn an income.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

I really don't expect anything, but if my GF doesn't follow thru on the holiday in Amsterdam she promised me, we're over.

I don't have a present wishlist, I'm just hoping for good food, good parties and lots of naughty merryment

·
Registered
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaved_women View Post

What is everyone expecting for the holidays in terms of gifts?
I'm not really expecting anything as far as gifts. My wishlist is for relaxing/fun/happy times with my friends and family. My husband may put a few things in my stocking. I guess chocolate would be nice.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I asked for some stuff, but material wise, what I want the most is the 8 gig red ipod. I have mentioned it to my boyfriend, but if he doesn't get it for me, I will buy it for myself with my tax return check. I also asked for some gift cards cause I need some clothes, I asked for a video game and I asked for a bare essentials make-up kit. I have a large family so I have to think of lots of things that I want for christmas.

Non-material wise, I can't wait to spend the holidays with my family. I leave on Friday to go to MI to see them and I will spend a good 8 days up there being with them. I come home and then get to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas with my honey. Seeing everyone on the holidays is all I really want for Christmas.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjayn1980 View Post

I dunno. This seems like a weird way to talk about gifts with expectations and fair dollar amounts. I'm not judging, but I just can't relate really.
I don't see what's so strange about it. I always receive gifts for Christmas from my parents. I'm only 23, and I don't have a job, and I'm very considerate of them, so of course they reward me with gifts. I've worked hard in college and am graduating this December too. 200 dollars isn't a lot to ask for in terms of graduation/Christmas. I'd ask for more but my dad was recently hospitalized. Not trying to start an argument, just explaining where I'm coming from.

11,550 Posts
my mum is sending me some really tasty dairy and sugar free carob bars (sounds like an impossible product, lol) from england that i can't get here (hopefully it'll get through customs) and my lovely bf will maybe buy me a few bottles of english 'origional source' shower gel (mmmm) online and get them shipped over here (he keeps going on about buying me a diamond ring, but i don't want him to buy me one so i'm really selling the shower gel right now) ... it'll probably be about $70 canadian worth of stuff between the pair of them, including shipping- thats it for me.

i don't really like the idea of people buying me stuff... i don't need a whole bunch of stuff (its just gratuitious wants, not needs, lol) and i feel like i should buy it myself if i actaully need it... but they really want to get me 'stuff', and it makes them happy, so i'll let them, i guess.

i've got my mum a new wallet and am going to sew her a case for her digital camera, and got my bf a new swanky alarm clock cos we both hate his current ancient one... so it balances out i guess.

i asked my mum to get my dad a cool mug he'll like, and my little bro a cd he wants... i'll pay her back for that stuff, it doesn't make sense for me to get them things from here then ship them, it'll double the cost, and i don't have a visa card so i can't order a lot of english stuff online myself.

apart from the stuff my mum picks up, they probably won't get their gifts at xmas, cos i'm not a beleiver... they'll get them randomly before or after the xmas thing, and just because i love them, and i know they need/would like these things.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Oooh, X-Files! I love X-Files! Season 1 is a good one :-D

For Christmas, I asked for peace and quiet and simplicity. And I'm getting it!

I'm so happy, I didn't have to spend 2 months preparing for Xmas, and I won't have to spend half of January trying to put things away. I'm only exchanging gifts with 3 people. The inlaws aren't coming, and it's just going to be me and the old man and the cats.

One thing I've always wanted to do is drive around and look at the lights (you know how some people go all out to decorate their yard), and this year I will have time to do that. And with no company coming, I don't have to shampoo the carpet in the middle of snow season!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaved_women View Post

It all totals to about approximately 200 dollars. I think that's fair.
I don't "expect" any specific dollar amount from my friends or family. If they find something they know I'll like, I don't care if they spend $2 or $20 on it.

I know for a fact none of my parents, grandparents, aunts or uncles have $200 to drop on me at one gift-giving holiday. Well, they all "could," but it is not commonplace. The most expensive gift I've I received was a $2,000 bicycle that both sets of grandparents and my parents went together on. It covered Christmas that year, high school graduation and my birthday. And it was still far more than I normally "expect."

If a relative comes up to me and says, "I don't have a gift for you, but I wanted to make sure you knew I really appreciate you being my cousin/sister/daughter because of X situation," that would be present enough for me.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
um...anything relating to coffee like costa/starbucks carda and espresso cups would be nice. what I really want is a nintendo DS but I don't think I'll get one. Mostly I would love to recieve surprises this year.

yeah, I don't expect specific amounts of money to be spent on me either. my dad buys according to what I want/need, not to fulfil an obligation of how much he is supposed to spend. I think this works out in my favour, as some years he has bought me cheap bed linen for my birthday, but this year he bought me a car for no occasion at all!

dads

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I expect gifts, unlike some of you that are flaming me, because my parents have always given me a ton of stuff on Christmas since I was a baby. Why should I not expect anything now? They don't have much money, but they give what they can. I plan to buy a DVD each for my sister, dad, and mom. We exchange gifts on Christmas. Usually they spend upwards of 500 dollars on me at this time. I'm getting older, and I don't really want a whole lot of stuff, just enough to keep me occupied for a while.

You may call me spoiled, and maybe I am, but I've worked my *** off in college and I expect to be rewarded for my hard work. So maybe people don't get as much stuff as I do on Christmas, I don't care. My parents never bought me a car, they didn't pay one cent on my college loans (25,000 total), they didn't pay for my lawyer bills.....I'm not what you think. I just want some gifts. Chrissakes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.