VeggieBoards banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about everyone (with the exception of myself) at my work eats meat...and we're having a potluck here very soon. I know what *I* like to eat (and I tend to consume food that others may find unappetizing), but I want to make something everyone would enjoy. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
what are the foods that you like to eat? the times i've made veg*n/raw food for others to try, i always have tried to make it look really pretty; have a nice presentation. if i'm by myself, i don't care, but for others i know it helps when the food LOOKS good that they wil lwant to try it.<br><br><br><br>
pasta salad could work. you could add chopped red bell peppers and something green for a festive feel.<br><br><br><br>
veg*n cookies/cupcakes/pies/fudge.<br><br><br><br>
i made raw strawberry crepes last year and everyone loved them.<br><br><br><br>
you could make a fruit tray. a veggie tray. last year, i made a big veggie tray. had all kinds of veggies on the bottom, then on top i put broccoli and grape tomatoes to make it look like a big wreath. you could make some awesome dips for both.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
My meat loving omni hubby loves this its quick and easy too <a href="http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/printer/mexican_lasagna.htm" target="_blank">http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/printer...an_lasagna.htm</a>

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have worked in several omni groups at work. One of my post popular pot luck dishes was a quinoa casserole that I used to take. It can be made vegetarian if you use cheese or vegan if you skip the cheese (the way I prefer it.)<br><br><br><br>
I'll post the recipe in the recipe section either tonight or tomorrow night.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These all sound good. I'm going to have a tough time deciding!<br><br><br><br>
Mashed potatoes and gravy casserole?! I've never heard of that one! How does one make such a dish?<br><br><br><br>
I'm intrigued to see what's in the quinoa casserole, asp3! Thanks (in advance) for posting the recipe.<br><br><br><br>
The lasagne sounds yummy too! I don't think a fruit or veggie tray would be very popular. My fellow coworkers fear the healthy stuff.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I don't really use a recipe, I sautee onions and mushrooms in vegan butter w/ sage, garlic, salt, pepper, etc. until the onions start to caramalize, then I add a bit of flour to make a roux, and then a small amount of broth so there is a very thick gravy. Then I top w/ garlic mashed potatoes which have a bit of vegan cream cheese in them in addition to all the other good stuff ("butter, "milk", etc.). If you're not vegan of course you don't have to use the vegan stuff. I bake it at about 350 until the potatoes begin to brown (If you pipe it into a casserole it makes a very pretty pattern).<br><br><br><br><br><br>
It's very much like mashed potatoes and gravy, but travels way better. My boyfriend's parent's church of old conservative cow farmers/farmer's wives love it.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I don't really use a recipe, I sautee onions and mushrooms in vegan butter w/ sage, garlic, salt, pepper, etc. until the onions start to caramalize, then I add a bit of flour to make a roux, and then a small amount of broth so there is a very thick gravy. Then I top w/ garlic mashed potatoes which have a bit of vegan cream cheese in them in addition to all the other good stuff ("butter, "milk", etc.). If you're not vegan of course you don't have to use the vegan stuff. I bake it at about 350 until the potatoes begin to brown (If you pipe it into a casserole it makes a very pretty pattern).<br><br><br><br><br><br>
It's very much like mashed potatoes and gravy, but travels way better. My boyfriend's parent's church of old conservative cow farmers/farmer's wives love it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ooooh, now I know what I'm making for my family's next holiday gathering, thebelovedtree. That sounds delicious and like just the thing to please everybody!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts