VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy end-of-December-celebrations, everyone! Let's talk about what we cooked/ate during our holidays! My husband and I are both vegetarians, and this was our first Christmas by ourselves, so we (thankfully) didn't have to worry about any meat-eaters this year. I made the Vegetables Wellington and the Duchesse Potatoes from the December Vegetarian Times, and both were amazing. I made a few changes, though. I used homemade arugula pesto instead of jarred pesto, zucchini, asparagus, spinach and sundried tomatoes, and honey goat cheese instead of regular goat cheese. I served it with homemade red sauce and mead. I made a traditional fruitcake for dessert. It was an experiment-plus the cake probably cost $40 to make-but it was really good. Oh, and my friends brought over some (vegetarian) bacon-flavoured candy canes for dessert. They tasted so much like bacon that I gagged when I tasted it. Still, very impressed that science can make candy canes taste like bacon now!

What did you all eat this year?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I had a few friends over and for appetizers I did a hummus and veggie platter, a plate of stuffed olives (almond, jalapeno, garlic, and pimento), then for dinner I did an orange and almond salad, Italian green beans, millet tomato and olive stuffed zucchini, mushroom and eggplant lasagne, and for dessert chocolate cake with a raspberry filling and frosted with a chocolate ganache and homemade mounds candies. All vegan.

I'm am tired of cooking. I also cooked on Christmas Eve and took candies to a friends house for her party. Tonight we're getting take-out since everyone loved the food and there weren't any leftovers.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I went to my grandmas and had potatoes, rolls, asparagus, and I know I'm forgetting something, LOL. Then at my mom's my SIL brought pickled stuff, so I tried the beets (yucky, those are all hubby's) and pickled carrots (those were good). Then there were the random sweets that were out.

Christmas eve we went to a party, and I had deviled eggs, yams, potatoes, corn, rolls and more random sweets.

This year I made chocolate chip cookies and pumpkin bread. I also just realized that I eat a LOT of carbs.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
The only thing that my sister had that was not Veg was ham , there was cornbread stuff, potato cassrole something and some veggie cassrole and rolls. Very different type of Christmas dinner but, I wish there was more choices but its a start.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
After several menu changes, we wound up with a repeat of Thanksgiving's cornbread dressing, roasted garlic mashed potato casserole (new recipe and very tasty),asparagus, wild rice with walnuts, shallots,and dried apricots, mushroom gravy, cranberry relish, cherries in the snow (veganized quite nicely), and assorted cookies and candies. Finished it off with a nice wassail. I'm still full!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I had a filo parcel with spinach, basil tofu ricotta and sundried tomatoes. Sides were lots of veggies and nut roast. All sides were vegan so I had my filo parcel, parents had turkey, and we all had all the sides.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
today is NY Eve's day, and we went to my oldest daughter's and her fiance's for our Christmas with them. He made his first vegan meal for my hubby and I, of bean burger sliders, butternut squash, and a pasta/veggie dish.....excellent eats today!

·
Registered
207 Posts
My mother made enchiladas and tamales [for me she made pepper tamales] with salad, rice, and for dessert I had buñuelos while everyone else had cake. It..Was..Delicious! =P

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I made vegan stuffed peppers. This has come to be my usual contribution to the Christmas meal. My youngest brother and my dad LOVE them, which is pretty cool.

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
xmas eve I made deviled eggs, chestnuts, stuffed mushrooms, pasta, cookies, pie, wine. Lazy for me, usually I go all out.

xmas I spent at others' homes--chips and dip, Eggplant Parmesan, lupini (yay!), Italian desserts, chestnuts, wine.

New yr's eve I went out to dinner. Salad with vinegar, unidentifiable sauteed veg and Elmer's glue gnocchi in a sea of salt lick sauce, day old cake with Crisco frosting and Hershey's syrup, vinegar toast at midnight. (That's what it all tasted like, anyway.)

Today--omelet, deep fried potatoes, toast with jam. Then ice cream for lunch and popcorn for dinner (so far). I hear there is a pizza in the works though, which may redeem the whole thing.

Quote:
Vegetables Wellington
What a great idea. I have never had anything Wellington but that sounds good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts