VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is your birthday on a holiday?

Mine is Dec. 31. As a child, my party was never on my actual birthday. As an adult, it just gets lumped with whatever New Year's party is going on and I get a little "honorable mention" and maybe some cake, then it's on to the real celebration.

My sisters were born on July 6th and Oct. 30th. My Mom must have been trying to get one on a holiday but just couldn't get the timing right...

Don't get me wrong, I don't really care anymore. In fact, I wouldn't mind if people just ignored the fact that I was born on New Year's Eve and just had a great time. I am just wondering what conclusion other's have come to about their holiday birthdays.

Does it suck? Do you love it? Do you move it to a different day for convenience?

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
First of all Happy Birthday!!!!

My bday isn't on or near a holiday but my younger brother's is right around Thanksgiving and my other brother's bday is 3 days later. Usually we celebrate Thanksgiving and both their birthdays all on Thanksgiving Day. They aren't too fond of it but most of the time it's the only way we can get everyone together at the same time to celebrate.
Occasionally we are able to break it up a bit if schedules don't conflict.

I can definitely see how it would be disappointing though.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
My birthday is safe from any holidays, proper ones anyway. It is near NZ fathers' day, it even fell on the same day a couple of years ago, but we don't make a fuss of fathers' day so my birthday wins out.

My friend has her birthday on 30th December and she said she never really got parties or anything because of the focus on New Year's. She was really happy last year when we made a point of doing something for her birthday. I have another friend on 25th December which must really suck.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Well, kind of. Nothing that is a holliday here, but my birthday is on Ukranian independence day. Or lets better say Ukranian independence day is on my birthday because i happened first!

At this point I don't care since people I am friends with don't give a damn about Ukraine. But my highschool/early university years i was hanging out with Ukranians and i hated it. i was invited to celebrate some stupid even i didn't care about on my birthday. if i wanted to have a party i had to move it because there were too many parties everyone wanted to attend on that day, including street fests. i guess now it is just a bit of an issue since i do want to invite some of my old friends for b-day as well

but i think it is better than on new years, i wouldn't want to get only one set of gifts for my birthday, lol

Anyways, happy Birthday!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

Or lets better say Ukranian independence day is on my birthday because i happened first!
Awesome!

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Happy Birthday to people who have B-days around or on the Holidays

Peace

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Happy Birthday to you!

My daughter made a huge deal when she delivered my grandson on Christmas Eve. I kept thinking, how special, what's the big deal?
Well, this Christmas Eve he turned three and with all of the hoopla of the holiday, I almost forgot. They do not live nearby and I see him, maybe, once a month. Luckily I bought him more than one Christmas present so I gave him one of those and said it was for his birthday.

The other issue that I see being a problem, is that they spend Christmas Eve with the other set of grandparents because they prefer to spend Christmas Day with us and the rest of the extended family. So they get him ON his birthday every year. So far it hasn't been an issue because of his age. As he gets older, I am going to have to figure something out, like making it a point of seeing him the weekend before.
So yeah, now I get it, why having a birthday on/near a major holiday could be a problem. I'm just going to have to get creative and pay more attention.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Happy Birthday!! My mom is a New Year's Eve baby (1929 lol) and she always says that she likes it that everyone celebrates her birthday!

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Happy belated birthday. My birthday is a week after July 4, so we used to hold some fireworks back for that. I've had friends who's birthday was Thanksgiving, which always seemed to be a bummer to me (what did you have for your birthday dinner? Turkey). I have another friend who's birthday is December 24 and another who's birthday is December 25---How many packages did they get that said "Happy birthday" and "Merry Christmas" on them??? Plus, when you they were younger, they could never have a slumber party or go to a sporting event. "What are you doing December 24?" "Going to church then going home" or "What are you doing December 25?" "Spending all day with my family, opening gifts, and eating too much."

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
My husband's birthday is Christmas Eve. For the past several years, we've celebrated it on the 23rd, just so it gets some special recognition. It's actually harder on me than it is on him, because I have to completely switch gears - plan a birthday dinner, buy birthday presents and wrap, and bake a birthday dessert right when I'm in the middle of Christmas. Oh well.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

My husband's birthday is Christmas Eve. For the past several years, we've celebrated it on the 23rd, just so it gets some special recognition. It's actually harder on me than it is on him, because I have to completely switch gears - plan a birthday dinner, buy birthday presents and wrap, and bake a birthday dessert right when I'm in the middle of Christmas. Oh well.
You could do a half birthday on July 23. Would that work?

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
My niece was born on December 30th, my Mom on December 31st. My sister has a not-so-good birthday, September 11th. My birthday usually falls on Memorial Day weekend (May 26th). It sucked having my birthdays MD weekend because often my friends would go out of town and miss my birthday. Also, going somewhere like Vegas is busier and more expensive around that time (my 21st fell on a Saturday, no way I was going to Vegas then). My Mom never minded having a New Years Eve birthday, I just think it's s*** when people combine your birthday with the holiday for a gift when you're a child. Even if it's more expensive, it's best to keep it separate.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

You could do a half birthday on July 23. Would that work?
He did that with a kid. I suppose we could, but now that we're celebrating on the 23rd and not the 24th, it is easier.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Happy Birthday!! My mom is a New Year's Eve baby (1929 lol) and she always says that she likes it that everyone celebrates her birthday!
People always say, "Everyone celebrates your birthday!" I used to say it too, but trust me, they don't.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

My niece was born on December 30th, my Mom on December 31st. My sister has a not-so-good birthday, September 11th. My birthday usually falls on Memorial Day weekend (May 26th). It sucked having my birthdays MD weekend because often my friends would go out of town and miss my birthday. Also, going somewhere like Vegas is busier and more expensive around that time (my 21st fell on a Saturday, no way I was going to Vegas then). My Mom never minded having a New Years Eve birthday, I just think it's s*** when people combine your birthday with the holiday for a gift when you're a child. Even if it's more expensive, it's best to keep it separate.
Agreed. Keep them separate. My parents always did a good job of that. It was mostly friends that did the birthday/Christmas combo thing to me.

I can see Memorial Day weekend being bad for birthdays. People are off having bbq's at the lake, no party for you

I wanted to go on a cruise for my 30th b-day. Yeah, it was 3-4X more expensive to go over New Year's. I waited a few weeks into Jan and it was ridiculously cheap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My husband's birthday is December 25. That has to be the worst day for a birthday. Before we had kids, he really did not want to celebrate his birthday. On his 30th, we surprised him with a cake on Christmas day. It was the first Christmas he spent with my family so it was a big surprise to him. On his 40th, I had a surprise party for him on Christmas Eve. It was all family because there were not many friends who were available that day and it ended early, but it was nice. Since I have kids, my daughters really want to celebrate their dad's birthday. One year, we had a birthday party for him 2 weeks before Christmas. The last couple of years, we have celebrated on Christmas Eve with cake at my mom's house.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts