VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I just wanted to introduce myself and say I'm new to the boards. I've been a vegatarian for almost two years now, I eat mostly organic food, and I am all about human and animal rights. I just wanted to network with some fellow vegatarians and I was wondering what inspired you guys to stop eating meat? Was it a friend, a book, a movie, just your own personal resolution, or something else?
I want to hear some of your reasons and then I will share my own if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Hello and welcome to the VeggieBoards!

I'm a vegan for ethical reasons. A book, Dominion: The Power of Man, the Suffering of Animals And the Call to Mercy, made me think about my way of life and lead me to change it so it fit my beliefs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandcuffedAngel View Post

Hello and welcome to the VeggieBoards!

I'm a vegan for ethical reasons. A book, Dominion: The Power of Man, the Suffering of Animals And the Call to Mercy, made me think about my way of life and lead me to change it so it fit my beliefs.
That sounds like a good book, I will have to check it out sometime. Have you ever read Fast Food Nation? That book totally motivated to not want to eat meat anymore, for ethical reasons because I don't want to support the suffering of animals or anyone and also because once I realized the conditions that the animals are kept in it made me so nausea that meat just grosses me out now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone for welcoming me to the board, it is nice to "meet" all of you. =] I became a vegatarian for a couple of different reasons. It was something that I was always interested in, when I was younger I loved animals and eating them just seemed wrong so I was interested in it at a young age even though I didn't do anything about it then. Then in college I met a good friend who is a vegan and we would have lots of conversations about it cause I was really interested in her reasons for being one. I read Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser and that motivated me also. I live in and go to school in Bloomington and it is a very vegan/vegatarain friendly town so there are lot of resources here to learn about it and a lot of awesome people to talk to.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi tyka! Would I be correct in presuming from your thread title that you speak Spanish? Some of us around here do. We have a now-dead thread in Fun 'N Games for Spanish-speakers, but if you wanted to bump the thread, I'm sure everyone would jump back into it.

Have you traveled to Latin America? If you have, I'd like to hear your experiences being a vegetarian there, if you were.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

Hi tyka! Would I be correct in presuming from your thread title that you speak Spanish? Some of us around here do. We have a now-dead thread in Fun 'N Games for Spanish-speakers, but if you wanted to bump the thread, I'm sure everyone would jump back into it.

Have you traveled to Latin America? If you have, I'd like to hear your experiences being a vegetarian there, if you were.
Hi Skylark, I do speak some spanish, I took four years of it in highschool and I three semsters in college, I just finished up my last semster of it last year, so I am a little rusty since I haven't had any classes on it in awhile. I haven't had an opportunity to travel to Laten America or anything like that, but it is something I would like to do in the future. That is really the best way to learn a language, by being emersed in the culture. I will have to check out this other thread and see if I can add anything to it. Thanks for taking the time to say hi. =]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hola!

Where are you from? Is it easy being vegan there?

I have been vegan for about 7 years and its the best decision I ever made!!

Karin

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazvegan View Post

Hola!

Where are you from? Is it easy being vegan there?

I have been vegan for about 7 years and its the best decision I ever made!!

Karin

Hi Karin, nice to meet you. I'm orginally from Fort Wayne, Indiana but I have been living in Bloomington, Indiana for almost seven years now, I'm a college student and Bloomgton is actually a very vegetarian/vegan friendly town. There are lots of vegetarian/vegan/organic restaurants here, prolly because it is a college town and a lot of the students are vegetarians or vegans. I'm actually a vegetarian, not a vegan but I only eat organic milk or cheese that doesn't have hormones and all that other stuff in it and is made by people claim that they treat their animals well, though I guess I have no real way of knowing if they do or not. Where are you from and how's the vegan scene there? =] That's awesome that you have been vegan for seven years, I've only been a vegetarian for two years now but I really love it and I've found that most vegetarian or vegan people are usually really friendly, which is one of my motivations for joining this board.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Dos Cervesas, por favor!

...sorry, that's pretty much the only spanish I know.

I can welcome you in French or German if you would like, though!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts