I made a soup the other day that was

vegetable stock
water
cabbage
carrots
celery
green peppers (capsicum)
onion

Due to financial restrictions I was thinking about adding some frozen peas and some potatoes and removing the peppers and celery. Is there anything else I could do to this soup that is low low low budget that could increase the nutritional value and the flavour?

I would add brown rice but it always seems to sink to the bottom of the bowl :S stupid rice.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Beans.

·
Banned
437 Posts
Beans or lentils! Also, you can cook the rice or pasta on the side and then ladle the soup over it so it doesn't sink or get soggy.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
What about beans or lentils?
I like to puree veggie soups just enough to leave it chunky, just to thicken it - adding potatoes or beans helps. I use a stick blender right in the pot.
I also like okra, which acts like a cornstarch thickener, then grains don't sink.
Peas, corn, potatoes, greens, anything you have.
Even try a can of fat-free refried beans!
I never make "soupy" soups!

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
there are frozen cauliflowers and brioccoli that are pretty cheap and can be good for a soup

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Chickpeas and the best!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
bulger or barley, quinoa, amaranth, couscous...any grains. Just make sure you use enough liquid so it doesn't totally absorb. Definately the bean idea. Also any frozen veggies would be good like the peas or green beans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts