VeggieBoards banner

Hiya! :D New Here!

886 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Naturebound 
#1 ·
Hello! I hope you are all having a nice day/night!

I decided that I would look around for a good Vegetarian/Vegan forum, and this one looked by far the best... so I thought I would check it out!

I want to be 100% vegan, but I have some struggles with it... basically that include stress from family thinking it's extreme/turning down their offers, getting bored with my food, and simply not having enough money and/or motivation to go to the grocery store.

I want to be 100% vegan for the animals first, and my health second. :)

I suffer from Major Depression (possibly PMDD as well) and Generalized Anxiety Disorder... I definitely notice a HUUUGE difference in my mood when I eat strictly vegan... ESPECIALLY high carb, low fat!

BUT...

I either get bored with my food and can't stomach it... or my menstrual cycle kicks in full force, and I am wanting alllll the wrong things. :/

So, it's a struggle...

I definitely need to lose weight. I weigh around 174 lbs, and I am 5'3", so... not good! Not extremely bad, but definitely not good. u_u

ANYWAY.

I would love to get some motivation and pointers and the like by going through this site. :)

I basically struggle alone with this. I do not know any IRL vegans/vegetarians... at all... lol

So, I'm hoping that by coming on here, I will no longer struggle alone... :)

Sorry if a lot of that was hard to understand. x_x My son likes to interrupt me constantly while I type, so I am frequently losing my train of thought... haha

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome Amber! I already posted on your other thread RE bored with food.

My family thought it was too extreme at first too. In fact I have had an eating disorder for many years, and they thought this was an extension of that. Once I learned to cook a TON of awesome vegan dishes and shared many with them, they changed their minds lol. AND I was able to get up to a healthy weight for the first time in six years as a vegan, not an omnivore, which put their minds at ease. I think a lot of it is that people just don't understand what being vegan entails. If you take the focus off what you can't have, and focus on all the things that are possible as a vegan, it is far more encouraging. Patience with family and friends is also key, as well as being patient with yourself. It is a big lifestyle change and everyone adjusts differently. I spent a TON of time on Vegweb.com looking at recipes in the early days lol.

Hang in there! It gets much easier trust me!

#4 ·
Welcome Amber! I already posted on your other thread RE bored with food.

My family thought it was too extreme at first too. In fact I have had an eating disorder for many years, and they thought this was an extension of that. Once I learned to cook a TON of awesome vegan dishes and shared many with them, they changed their minds lol. AND I was able to get up to a healthy weight for the first time in six years as a vegan, not an omnivore, which put their minds at ease. I think a lot of it is that people just don't understand what being vegan entails. If you take the focus off what you can't have, and focus on all the things that are possible as a vegan, it is far more encouraging. Patience with family and friends is also key, as well as being patient with yourself. It is a big lifestyle change and everyone adjusts differently. I spent a TON of time on Vegweb.com looking at recipes in the early days lol.

Hang in there! It gets much easier trust me!
Thank you for the encouragement, and I will definitely look into vegweb.com! :D I will go check it out as soon as I change the time settings on here. It's confusing me! hahaha

And about family, I live in the south of the USA, so eating a variety of fried meats and fried... everything... or buttered everything... or gravy-covered everything... is ESSENTIAL or at least a staple for every meal. xD Don't forget dessert! x_x

It's kind of an ingrained part of our culture to never turn down food... So, when I simply say that I don't want to eat something because I don't eat meat, it's as if I am being rude and shunning their cooking. Even people with food allergies around here aren't taken seriously by family. If you can't eat a dish because you're allergic to peanuts, you will get a scoff for being uppity... hahaha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.