VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
"I committed the worst imaginable offense...".

heh.

In his video, he seemed pretty lighthearted about it all...

"Aftor wut?lolz i dedont clack da lank?? TLDR lolol"

Quote:
After being thrown on the ground and handcuffed, the former Oxford don was formally arrested, his hands cuffed behind his back. Several policemen pressed hard on his neck and chest, leaving the mild-mannered scholar, who's never gotten so much as a parking ticket, bruised and in pain. He was then taken to the city detention center along with other accused felons and thrown into a filthy jail cell filled with prisoners. He remained incarcerated for eight hours. Officials demanded bail of over a thousand dollars.
in other news, he sounds sexy. I want to have a sexy man voice like that one day.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Was jaywalking a crime before the advent of automobiles? Did horse & buggy always have the right of way in bygone eras?

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

Was jaywalking a crime before the advent of automobiles? Did horse & buggy always have the right of way in bygone eras?
Yes, in many places. I don't have the figures on-hand, but people being run over by horse-coaches was very common in cities, and often fatal.

In the mid-nineteenth century in New York City, it was the number one cause of death among cabbies (of the horse variety).

·
Registered
0 Posts
"he insisted firmly that he had not realized it was improper to cross the middle of the street and had watched his colleagues do so repeatedly without interference" http://hnn.us/roundup/entries/33876.html

Ignorance of the law is not a defense. Never has been.

Also, I checked a few other sources and I can not find a picture of the incident in which the Professor is identifiable.

"The five-year Atlanta Police Department veteran said he initiated verbal contact with Fernandez-Armesto before he stepped into the street, directing him to the nearby crosswalk, but said the professor ignored him." http://hnn.us/roundup/entries/33808.html

This smells like a manufactured story. The Prof appeared in traffic court and the PD have dropped the DC charges, sounds like it's settled now.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I don't believe that either 'side' is manufactured, I was referring to the story in the media. From what I have read the whole situation is over and done with and the media is stirring the pot after the fact.

If anything the Prof is in the wrong, but he has (allegedly) admitted to that already, so why is this news now?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have to ask, why is 'jaywalking' illegal in the U.S.? In the U.K., you can cross the road wherever you like as long as you look both ways and are careful about it.

The officer in the report certainly over reacted. Aren't U.S. cops required to show ID when requested?

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post

If anything the Prof is in the wrong, but he has (allegedly) admitted to that already, so why is this news now?
The historian doesn't have a defense wrt the jaywalking, but jeezus..taking the guy down and throwing him in jail? Please.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.