VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here use them? Are they safe? My mother's doctor told her he uses them and now she wants one. She has emphysema and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) really bad. And I'm afraid they may harm her. Do Himalayan salt lamps create ozone? I never heard of them until today.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
have no idea about anything about them, but they are pretty! Did you find anything online about them?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I've been googling them. But there's not a whole lot of information about them. They supposedly make negative ions. And that these negatively charged ions stick to pollutants etc., and thereby clean the air. But one site said that all ionizers make minute amounts of ozone. And that ozone is good as long as it is high up in the atmosphere. But when it is low lying where people are it can damage lung tissue.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I've looked into them before.
I think a lot of the claims may be greatly exaggerated. It really is just salt, but then maybe there really are properties within it that we don't fully understand, that can be tapped into.

You're comparing them to plug-into-the-wall powered ionizers? If they do produce any ozone, it's going to be such a minuscule amount that it'll probably not find its way into your lungs at all, and we're probably exposed to far worse air in our daily lives.

I'll probably get one eventually, but primarily because they are pretty and my cats keep licking my mineral salt deodorant stone... so maybe they'd like a salt lamp to lick on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

I'll probably get one eventually, but primarily because they are pretty and my cats keep licking my mineral salt deodorant stone... so maybe they'd like a salt lamp to lick on.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Ohhh theyre salt! The only vegan cafe I've been to has them all over the place. I always thought they were just a rock, and looked quite tacky haha. I have asthma which is easily set off by atmosphere changes and didnt notice any problems when in said cafe. Cant give more info than that, sorry.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Yes, I have one. I love it! They work by releasing negative ions into the air, which helps to purify it.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Yes, I have one. I love it! They work by releasing negative ions into the air, which helps to purify it.
Did you notice a difference when you started using it?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

Did you notice a difference when you started using it?
The air smells cleaner. I have pretty bad lungs because I had pneumonia a lot as a baby, and with my lamp plugged in breathing seems a bit easier. I mean, it isn't a radical difference, but it does help a bit.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
not sure how much those lamps cost, but do you have any idea what one of those would run you for actual grinding salt? A LOT! just had to add that in there....I really like the looks of them, but I know how much I pay for Frontier him. salt for my grinder.....

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

not sure how much those lamps cost, but do you have any idea what one of those would run you for actual grinding salt? A LOT! just had to add that in there....I really like the looks of them, but I know how much I pay for Frontier him. salt for my grinder.....
They tend to be around $20-$40, depending on the size

·
Registered
92 Posts
This is what one blog had to say:

"Heres the problem that I see: one of these lamps is just a hollowed salt crystal with a 15-watt light-bulb inside. How is it supposed to release negative ions? If its not getting a steady supply of electrons from somewhere, it cant be releasing negative ions because it would be giving itself a positive charge that would attract negative ions, thereby defeating itself. Electrical current flowing through that light-bulb is not going to be leaving a surplus of electrons, since the electrons have to keep flowing through the circuit in order to actually work, so where are the electrons coming from? The websites have no explanation, although Natural-Salt-Lamps does try...

'the heated salt crystal attracts the water molecules from the ambient air to its surface. The salt goes into a solution as it mixes with the water molecules. Sodium, as the positively charged ion, and chloride, as a negatively charged ion, becomes neutral and are emitted back into the environment.'

"Yes, salt will dissolve in water, but the positively charged sodium ions and negatively charged chloride ions dont become neutral: they just float around in the solution, which remains neutral overall because it has a balanced number of positive and negative ions in it. The chloride ions wont magically float out of the solution into the air, because the attraction of the positive sodium ions wont let them get too far away. You could possibly get both positive and negative ions into the air, but not negative ions alone. In reality, though, you generally get water vaporizing back into the air and leaving the salt behind, and that's exactly the result you should expect with a heated crystal.

"Putting aside the physical problems of getting these rock crystals to release ions into the air, we still have to determine whether such ions would be beneficial. According to SaltLamps4U

'It has been researched scientifically that the amount of ions in the environment, that is acceptable by human is ca. 1000-1500/cm3. And normally in closed rooms were electronic appliances are utilized, this amount as low as 200/cm3. So to increase the number of negative ions in the environment, air ionizers are used. These air ionizers generate the negative ions and balance the atmosphere of the room.'

"Naturally, their website doesn't include a reference to these studies. Machines that demonstrably release ions into the air do exist, though, and theyve been tested. The Division of Respiratory Medicine at University Hospital Basel in Switzerland reviewed studies of alternative asthma treatments conducted since 2002 and published their findings in 2004. PubMed has a summary of their findings:

'Studies do not support the use of homeopathy, air ionizers, manual therapy, or acupuncture for asthma. These methods bear some risks to patients related to undertreatment and side effects.'

"Apparently releasing ions into the air has no health benefits, at least not for asthma. So, once again, we have an alternative medicine claim that doesnt hold up to scientific scrutiny. If you buy a Himalayan Salt Crystal Lamp (or any other kind of salt crystal lamp, for that matter), youre essentially paying $60 to $100 (or more) for a decorative night light.

"If you really want a device to release negative ions into your home atmosphere, though, dont despair: you probably already have one or more. Contrary to what SaltLamps4U.com says, television sets and computer monitors are negative ion sources (the Cathode Ray Tube inside a TV is specifically designed to spew electrons), and you can see how much effect they have on your air quality. They certainly attract a lot of dust. Assuming that a 15-watt salt lamp has any effect at all, it will be dwarfed by a 40-watt television set, so there's no need to buy a salt lamp, anyway."
http://runolfr.blogspot.com/2005/12/...-lamps_14.html

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
I have one and I haven't noticed the air being cleaner or myself feeling better. I'm not sure I believe the health claims. But it looks cool and makes a neat nightlight.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
I love these lamps. The color and ambient glow is lovely.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

I love these lamps. The color and ambient glow is lovely.
They remind me of alien eggs!

·
Registered
1 Posts
a salt lamp is not bad for you it is just to keep dust off of certin surfaces witch can help with certin body probles like allergys. all it is is salt.
smiley.gif

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've owned a couple of salt lamps and they are really aesthetically pleasing to the eye, producing a nice warm amber glow (sometimes it appears pinkish in color, depending on the salt)

Any health benefits? I've certainly felt more relaxed with these salt lamps around, and i think its due to the zen-like feeling of the lamps (how cool is it to have a lamp in your home made of salt!) As for the releasing negative ions bit, I never really knew anything about it until chancing upon this article on salt lamps - you should give it a read and decide for yourself if salt lamps are legit.

Scientific jargon aside, its a really pretty lamp and that's really all that you want

·
No flesh since 99'
959 Posts
I have one. Can't say it provides any health benefits, but it is a nice lamp and produces a soothing glow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts