VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I love Arizona Green Tea with honey and ginseng....but I'm debating which kind is better for me: the regular green tea with ginseng has high fructose corn syrup in it, and the diet and diet decaf green teas with ginseng use splenda. I know that high fructose corn syrup is bad for you and supposedly so is splenda? Am I overanalyzing this? Which one would be my best bet do you think? RIght now I only two cups of coffee in the morning and lots and lots of water.

I'm also underweight and trying to add a few lbs but I also suffer from a lot of digestive problems...if you need to take that into consideration?

Any input would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Because you're underweight and have digestive issues, I would go with the one with the corn syrup. Splenda could make the digestive issues worse.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I don't like either but if I had to say one over the other I would say the one with the high fructose corn syrup is better.

From the website www.truthaboutsplenda.com:

Is Splenda an all-natural product?

Absolutely not. The finished product contains no elements of natural sugar. It is made in a chemical plant, not in a sugar cane or beet field. Splenda is a highly processed chemical. Despite advertisements stating Made from Sugar so it Tastes like Sugar, which attempt to confuse consumers, Splenda is not natural.

Maybe make your own green tea with agave nectar or sugar? (the natural non-bone char kind of course!)

·
Registered
995 Posts
Eating splenda is a whole lot like drinking tap water, your gonna injest some clorine.

basicly they remove a molcule and replace it.

It does not cause digestive problems for me, I have heard of it causeing problems but the people who say it does admit they use loads of it.

It is IMO much safer to eat than HFCS which is thought to be a big contributor to the epidemic of diabetes in the US along with obesity which of course raises the risk for heart problems as well.

Anyway niether should be used in large amounts but occasionaly both I think are OK ( unless you are diabetic then HFCS is out of the question)

I would tend to go with fruit juices if your not in the diabetic spectrum or stevia.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I can't eat Splenda anymore, since I read about how they tested it on animals. I'm sure sugar products have been tested on animals, too, but I hit on the gruesome story on one of my emotional days, and I just can't eat it now. Silly, perhaps, but there you go.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'm on board with "I don't like either choice". Both are horrible denatured.

Having said that... if you're underweight, go with the HFCS. It's one of the big contributers for those who are overweight.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I think both are equally bad BUT if I had to choose, I'd go with... neither.

and I LOVE Arizona teas if that tells you anything.

Here is a frightening article about HFCS and you already have info about splenda.

Unfortunately, there is no lesser of the two evils cause they're both horrible additives.

·
Registered
496 Posts
4EG,

Totally OT but...

Dang! That's a pretty scary avatar! Where on earth did you find that???

(giggle) your phrase underneath reveals a suhthern past. (or present?)

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
*giggles* That's Sam, the World's Ugliest Dog of 2003, 2004, and 2005. You can read a bit about him here.

And the phrase under that.... yes, it definately reveals suthern roots (hehe).

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
Neither. If you are underweight, make a soy smoothie instead. Ice, Soy milk, strawberries, bananas and honey makes a great smoothie, will give you lots of vitamins and protein, and none of that nasty HFCS or splenda.

·
Registered
496 Posts
^^Awwww, poor Sam!

Back on topic... I wish I could find an online link to the study my dad read about HFCS where they tested it on rats. All the rats in study died. They repeated the study only to have all the new rats die, too. They ceased the study surmising they we shouldn't be eating this stuff - duh. (If anyone finds or has this, please post as I'd like to put this one in my local archives.)

'Round this house, I won't buy it, period. And I get persnickety with my DH if he comes home with coke. (I prefer 365 cola which has that nice cane juice taste I remember from growing up.)

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I used to LOVE Arizona teas too, but am really limiting the amount of HFCS I consume - and I just won't touch the chemical sweetners with a ten foot pole...

A couple mighty tasty alternatives are: Snapple White Teas (which are a little harder to find but very light and refreshing, not overly sweet) and Jones Teas or maybe called Jones Organics (as in Jones Soda Co. - they used to only be available locally, since Jones is made here in Seattle, but I think they're available nation-wide now.)

Also, as mentioned above, 365 (Whole Foods) brand of sodas are sweetened with cane juice and taste REALLY good!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I would avoid BOTH. High fructose corn syrup is a vegetable sugar that causes the body to think it needs to store fat. Many people are convinced that this is the reason for all that obesity we have now.

And Splenda I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

I recommend you make your own tea, then you have complete control.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts