VeggieBoards banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a beginner cook and make a vegetarian minestrome soup in a crockpot-beans, diced tomatoes, kale, carrots, onions, spices and I put water on the top I have been using canned kidney beans which I don't love, but want to continue to use them- just read you can puree them. How do I do this? If I put the beans in a blender is the liquid in the can enough or will I need water?

·
Vegan since 1991
3,660 Posts
If I put the beans in a blender is the liquid in the can enough or will I need water?
The flavor might improve if you get rid of the liquid in the can, and rinse the beans thoroughly. The liquid tends to be salty and yucky, I think.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've always had a bit of an issue with the texture of kidney beans, but never the taste. I don't think they have a very distinctive taste at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree-it's the texture. I didn't know if pureeing it would solve that. If not, is there another type of bean I can use? Beans are very healthy!

·
Vegan since 1991
3,660 Posts
I agree-it's the texture. I didn't know if pureeing it would solve that. If not, is there another type of bean I can use? Beans are very healthy!
Any kind of bean is good. Most beans have similar nutrition profiles - rich in protein, fiber, iron, and folate.

Pinto beans are creamier, I think. Lima beans are more mealy.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Chickpeas sound like they'd go well with the rest of the ingredients.

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
You can can any bean you'd like, and yes, do rinse!
I use my immersion blender for blending beans, or taking right to the whole pot and giving it a light whir or even to puree. I use that for lots of things because it goes inside a bowl and cleans easily

Pinto beans are really creamy with a thin skin. So are canneli beans.

Are you cooking for just yourself?
Beans are so cheap and easy to cook and then portion and freeze.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I agree with others who say to just substitute a different bean. Cannellini beans are white kidney beans, so would still be somewhat traditional for minestrone but have a creamier texture and milder flavor. Navy beans are another white bean that would work well. I always rinse and drain my canned beans, which might help somewhat with reducing the beany flavor.

Pureeing the beans is going to completely change the texture of your soup, making it thicker and more creamy, but you might like it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts