VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im new to the forum. Just have a lot of questions really. I would like to say i'm a strict veggie but in honesty i think i'm very uneducated in some things. I do eat blatant red meat, white meat, fish or any seafood. I do try to read labels etc but sometimes there are hidden things! Mainly i want to ask about two things; meat flavored things i.e. noodles/crisps and gravy granules.

Or any other random "gosh i didnt know that had murdered animal in it" things.

My one serious offence (im sorry) is that i use a leather bridle on my horse. But that's a safety thing, so i can be forgiven yes?
:]

·
Registered
128 Posts
No offense, but if you eat red meat, white meat, and fish, what meat DON'T you eat?
I have a vegan app on my iPad to tell what ingredients are and aren't veg*n friendly. I would say read the packages. Some things are very clear, and in general it's not a good rule to eat anything that you don't know how to pronounce/what the ingredients are. Gelatin is a very tricky one, I would say.

The bridle is not accepted in the vegan world, as horseback riding is looked down upon overall. Vegetarians do sometimes use animal products.

It's not up to US to forgive or label you for what you do. That is up to yourself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And honestly i don't ride much, infact i think the last time i rode my horse was about 3 or 4 months ago and that was a random one. I havent really rode for a year or so, i fell off once and wrecked my hip and lost all confidence, but i do enjoy owning a horse. I don't find a problem with riding myself, my philosophy is "if they were not used they would not be needed" which is why i tolerate people who eat/use animal products. I just personally don't enjoy the thought of eating something that has been strung up and gashed open.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Everybody has different opinions, here and in the non-veg*n world. Makes life interesting. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would like to be vegan i hate that animals are abused everyday for us but im too selfish and love animals too much to be. I assume vegans disagree with owning any animal?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Again, there are different kinds of vegans.
Don't strive for a label, strive for what YOU believe is morally correct.
But yes, generally vegans believe horseback riding or owning a companion animal is wrong.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equi View Post

I would like to be vegan i hate that animals are abused everyday for us but im too selfish and love animals too much to be. I assume vegans disagree with owning any animal?
Plenty of vegans have companion animals. But for the most part, we don't consider it "owning" them any more than we consider "owning" a husband or wife or child.

They are willing companions, and we provide them with the care they need.

My view, as a vegan, is that humans created the issue of domesticated animals like cats and dogs, so it's up to us to care for the ones who are here because of our selfishness. We need to adopt and rescue the ones that are here, and we need to do what we can to discourage the practice of continuing to breed them because millions of domesticated animals are put to death because we as humans don't take care of them and allow them (and often force them) to breed excessively. WE made it so they can't care for themselves in the wild, and WE need to step up to the plate and protect the ones that are here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i definitely could never stick to that, ever. I need animals around me, they keep me sane. I don't much like humans at all lol. Sure in my perfect world all animals would roam free, but thats not reality, captive animals are that...captive....they don't know how to live a life outside of that...so i feel that the best i can do is give them a good life whislt they are here. i own a lot of animals even some i would disagree with but i give them a good life i think. the only problem i have is with my dog, shes very aggressive to other dogs/strange men, so cant roam free. But to be fair her dog pen is 1/2 an acre and at night she roams a full acre...so can't be too cruel...lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Plenty of vegans have companion animals. But for the most part, we don't consider it "owning" them any more than we consider "owning" a husband or wife or child.

My view, as a vegan, is that humans created the issue of domesticated animals like cats and dogs, so it's up to us to care for the ones who are here because of our selfishness. We need to adopt and rescue the ones that are here, and we need to do what we can to discourage the practice of continuing to breed them because millions of domesticated animals are put to death because we as humans don't take care of them and allow them (and often force them) to breed excessively. WE made it so they can't care for themselves in the wild, and WE need to step up to the plate and protect the ones that are here.
I agree with this completely, which is why my family and I foster pugs. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Exactly how i feel!!!! i have only ever had rescue animals, even my pedigree dog is a rescue, she was a runt and was "not worthy of a show dog" because of the SILLY fact she had a like 5mm overbite, so i took her off the breeder. My horse was from a breeders yard who was selling anything to anyone he was so skinny and now hes a fat ass. My cats come and go as they please, if any come to me i get them fixed (even if its not my cat) which is probably wrong but better that than a million unwanted kittens. I have a bird which a lot of people hate but hes not in a cage and my mom wont come near my room cause he is free, but honestly he wont leave his cage, which is a concern to me.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equi View Post

Well i definitely could never stick to that, ever. I need animals around me, they keep me sane. I don't much like humans at all lol. Sure in my perfect world all animals would roam free, but thats not reality, captive animals are that...captive....they don't know how to live a life outside of that...so i feel that the best i can do is give them a good life whislt they are here. i own a lot of animals even some i would disagree with but i give them a good life i think. the only problem i have is with my dog, shes very aggressive to other dogs/strange men, so cant roam free. But to be fair her dog pen is 1/2 an acre and at night she roams a full acre...so can't be too cruel...lol
Oh, and... I HOPE no one is saying domesticated animals need to "roam free."

The phrase "companion animal" doesn't imply we chuck our animal pals out the door every day just to see if they want to come back, or that we let kittens come and go as they please, even if it's right into traffic.

Sometimes, part of caring for and protecting companion animals means making choices for them that will ensure their safety, such as keeping them indoors. My kitty comes and goes when she wants during the day, but I keep her inside at night to protect her from coyotes.

All I'm saying (I can't speak for anyone else) is that I don't consider it "owning" the animal. They are not a piece of property to be owned. They are a living creature, deserving of the same respect in terminology as a friend or family member - because they ARE friends and family members. I would never say I owned my boyfriend, nor would I say I own my cat. They are both my companions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yuh very much so, im lucky where i live there are no natural predators apart from foxes but theyre bloody sissys and there are none around me anyway lol and i didnt mean roam free as in "let them go anywhere" e.g. living in a city and letting your animal run the streets. I just ment NOT stuck in a cage all day or tied up. I recently lost my two 14yo dogs (one had a stroke and had to be pts and 6 days later her totally healthy life partner dropped dead) and they didnt need to be penned at all they never left our yard. The dog i have now (shes 6, so spent her whole life with those two) was always a wanderer so she needs penned allbeit a large pen!

It annoys me that people dont like her, shes a lovely dog but shes a "bad breed"

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I see you're from the UK; check out the UK forum for specific product info.

Products to watch (and read labels for) are sweets, anything with frosting (like the kind you get on pop tarts), anything jelly-like in consistency, gravy/sauces, some crisps, seasonings for noodles.

If you want veggie-friendly gravy, most store-brand vegetable gravies are ok, and bisto's original flavour (the one in the red tub) is suitable too. Crisps, most will be until you get into the fancy flavors - some use real beef etc. Check for the V logo on the packet. Noodles, avoid the cheap ones. There's usually chicken in the seasoning sachet.

Biggest shock I ever had - Kingsmill's Omega 3 bread. Contains fish.

It might seem like a lot to get used to, but trust me, it'll become second nature. I now know without looking which brands/items are suitable and which aren't. It just takes a bit of time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts