VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i'm sure you've gotten rid of them by now, but my cure for hiccups is:

plug your nose with one hand, take a really big deep breath, hold it, and drink water until you can't hold your breath any more. you can feel the pressure building up in your ears and everything while you're swallowing, i guess maybe that's what helps. i dunno, works for me every time though

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
argg ... I remember having them like 5 times in one day. I think the total time with them was like 5 hours of hiccuping . The next day I had these muscles in my upper chest that were quite sore from the involuntary usage (probably little muscles which normally never get used much.

Hiccups are proof that the Universe has an evil sense of humour

There is a guiness record of someone having them for like 40 years or so.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
My personal hiccup remedy is to take 15 small sips of water without pausing for breath in between.

Usually, it works.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a cure that has worked every single time except for one for me, but it is too hard to explain because I hold my breath a certain way, at a certain point, with certain muscles, and can't describe it. But I know other good ways, such as drinking cranberry juice, that is if you don't usually drink it, or you can drink water or something else upside down. I don't mean stand upside down and drink it, just bend over and drink from the opposite side of the glass that you usualy would. This works every time for my mom, and if I chose this method instead of holding my breath it always works for me.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If I get hiccups once, I have them all day. I work on phones a couple of nights a week and I had the hiccups once, and I have to say that doing some loud hiccup in the middle of a word, well, kind of breaks the mood! I get rid of them by holding my breath and pinching my ear lobes right where they touch my face for as long as I can. It works.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cheeno

If I get hiccups once, I have them all day. I work on phones a couple of nights a week and I had the hiccups once, and I have to say that doing some loud hiccup in the middle of a word, well, kind of breaks the mood! I get rid of them by holding my breath and pinching my ear lobes right where they touch my face for as long as I can. It works.
Breaks what mood? What kind of "phone" work do you do?

Disclaimer: Marie's fault.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts