VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am a long time vegetarian and for the past year a vegan.
I need some help however.
I recently had a severe spontaneous allergic reaction to Ibuprofen and went into anaphylactic shock. Since this happened I have now become extremely sensitive to Salicylates.
I would like to meet other vegans or vegos that have the same problem and could offer me some advice on what I can now eat???
It seems that the only food that is safe for me is meat, eggs and milk, though I just can't ethically accept this.
Currently I am surviving on homemade bread and pasta, I go to the supermarket and it seems like, everything in the shop is poison to me.
I just don't know what to eat without having a severe reaction.
I can no longer drink tea or coffee, wine and beer
and my fave vegies like eggplant tomatoes zuccinni and the list goes on, oh and no spices or herbs
I just don't know what I can eat.
I really would like to chat to others out there who have the same prob.
Cheers
SV

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
I avoid salicylates for medical reasons too but I'm not familiar with them being in the foods you listed. I remember potatoes, almonds, etc.

The foods with naturally occurring salicylates can be found on the Internet from reliable sources, so can a list of food additives with them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a list of acceptable foods but it is very limited I can only eat foods which have very minimal amounts in them. ALL vegies have salicylates in them.
I can eat old white potatoes without the peel on them and cook the life out of them.
Tomatoes were a staple in my home and they are one of the worst, I have a whole vegie garden full of the vegies I mentioned and can't eat them now.
I really would like to talk about how others who are veg cope with Salicylate sensitivity.
I have got so bad that I need to remove them all from my diet.
My doctor insists that I stop being a vego and start eating meat and eggs and then slowly introduce the very low salicylate veg back into my diet.
I have joined a few Salicylate forums but can't find any vegos that have the same problem and how they have coped with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.