VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I posted this on the raw foods post but l wanted to introduce myself here as well!!

Let me introduce myself to you-

My name is Marcy and I have been struggling with health problems, (asthma) and weight problems for the majority of my life. I am 33 years old from New York and have always felt there was something bigger and better waiting for me when it came to health and food.

I am extremely overweight, 239 (lost 6.5 pounds so far this week on Eat2Live, down from my all time highest weight of 288 and am 5'3. Even as a kid I have never eaten meat, yet I wasnt what you would call a vegetarian, I hated vegetables,lol so I overcompensated with the wrong carbs and sugary foods and fats, leading me to the weight I am now.

After reading these posts and picking up a few books at the library I learned that there is another way out there, and I feel this is it.

Its funny my family would always beat it into our heads that too much fruit is unhealthy and you should only have 1 banana a week but I never worried about the excess sugar that was in my box of Twinkies!

I have always had problems with my family on my food choices,lack of meat ,dairy etc so this Im sure will be a opening for them to pounce on me once again with their views.

My dad and brother are both diabetics yet eat all the wrong foods for them and battle with high blood pressure,high cholesterol and high tryglycerides. My sister is now entering figure compeitions and is eating tons of meat etc and puts me down always wanting to challenge me to my vegan meals.

so this will be something that will challenge me at family functions etc but I am up for the challenge. I accept that this is the right thing for me and I am not out there to change them but I wish they wouldnt try to change and challenge me all the time!

I had an amazing chocolate and sweets "addiction" all my life-where even though it made me sick I still ate it, again and again.

I always was sick from the time I was 5 until 5 days ago at age 33,lol-

I remember having nestles crunch duing the summer away with my parents as a child and I had such a bad pain in my chest that they took me to hospital.Docs said I was allergic to the chocolate-- did that stop me from eating nestles crunch ,nope!

Over the years, I have dealt with migraines, asthma, yeast infections, strep throat, having to run to the bathroom after everything I ate, etc etc.

I went for allergy testing and it showed I was allergic to beef, shellfish, wheat, dairy and chocolate.

Did I let that news stop me, nope, I still went on my candy binges and tortured myself with all types of painful consequences.

its funny because I never ate meat growing up so the shellfish and beef part I didnt have to worry about but instead I overcompensated on wheat products (pasta,bread), chocolate, and dairy items like it was going out of style,lol.

I have now been on E2L 5 days and I am amazed how it really is important to watch what goes into your body. I truly was allergic to those things and now not having them kind of has overjoyed my body into letting go of all this dreaded weight,bloat and bad side effects I was having.

I have never felt better or had more energy in my entire life. I have now as of this morning lost 6.5 pounds and Im sure its water weight but who cares, the lack of bloat is amazing!!

i didnt mean to ramble here,

I am so glad I found this board and all of you, I finally feel that I belong somewhere and wont be judged for what I eat or more importantly wont be judged for what i dont eat anymore!!!!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Hi Fluffernutter. Wow, I can't believe your parents told you not to "eat too much fruit!" (Wait till Oatmeal hears this.)

I never used to like my veggies either, but now I can't get enough of them!!

See ya around.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Fluffernutter - so glad to have you here!
You are to be commended for your quest for healthier eating! I also have food allergies - eggs and dairy. I was vegetarian for several years and on the path to becoming vegan when I found out about my allergies. The process of becoming vegan just happened quicker, which I'm thankful for! There are lots of terrific people here who will give you good recommendations and all the support you need!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Wow, Fluffernutter - what an amazing story! I am SO glad you found us! You will definitely find all the support you need here. This board is great! Everyone here can help you deal with the family issues and give you motivation! I'm proud of you for taking this step and so happy you feel better already! It will only get better, I promise!! And congrats on your weight loss so far! That is exciting!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Fluffernutter!
It sounds like you're really ready to change your way of living for the better. I'm sure you'll find it very helpful to come here for the support!
I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts