VeggieBoards banner

hi...new and very anxious!

1K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  dakinirawk 
#1 ·
hello, all...it's great to be here and i hope to gain much knowledge on raising my children vegetarian and adopting the lifestyle as well...i have 3 daughters (12, 11 and 1 on 7/4) and we are expecting another in november (hopefully a son this time, God...please?!?)

although i've been keeping my baby daughter vegetarian (no meat), i've been having problems switching her to total vegan, as well as myself, because i have no idea what to feed her and me in order to get the proper nutrition requirements...

also, i do use organic products much of the time, but i don't know whether using organic products is for naught when not used all the time...i mean, is it an "all or nothing" lifestyle or does every little bit help?

anyhoo, i do appreciate any info anyone may be able to give me and thank you for checking me out!

yours,

me.

#12 ·
Welcome. It's great to see you looking out for the well being of your children. I don't have children yet, but I hope to. When I do, then I will love starting them off on the right foot and showing them how wonderful it can be to love our bodies and the animals. Good luck! (You know what's funny...I accidentally typed good lick instead of good luck. I changed it, but had to share that I did.

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by atpeacewithin

also, i do use organic products much of the time, but i don't know whether using organic products is for naught when not used all the time...i mean, is it an "all or nothing" lifestyle or does every little bit help?
Welcome to the boards. I wish I could help you with nutritional info. for your kids, but I'm sure there are plenty of other people more knowledgable than myself.

I think every little bit helps. If you can use it all the time great...but, the fact that you are aware and trying helps more than you know. I think that's why most people don't make the "change" because they think, if they aren't "all or nothin" what's the point. I think EVERYthing counts! Good luck.

#19 ·
atpeacewithin, check out the book BECOMING VEGAN. it has excellent sections on being pregnant and vegan, raising vegan babies, and vegan kids.

they have a recipe in there called SNEAKY DAD'S PUDDING that tells you how to make this all natural, vitamin packed, powerhouse pudding for vegan kids to get them great nutrition but they still think its tasty.

its a GREAT book. I'd read that if I were thinking of raising my kids vegan. its main focus is all the health aspects, gives studies to show its healthy, what things you need to concentrate on getting in your and your kids diets, etc. Its very readable and FULL of great information. I think its very honest too. not biased one way or another. gives you the honest truth about veganism. with everything there are pluses and minuses, and I respect a book that gives both sides. you can trust it.

Also, I think another key word is "enriched." Orange juice enriched with calcium, rice milk that enriched with extra nutrients. even the vegan lunch meat (which can get pricey) has tons of fortification. And most all breakfast cereals also!

XOXOXO

Beth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.