VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So It's been a while since I'm a vegetarian, and the problem I have now is that I'm sleeping around 9 - 10 hours per night, and I used to sleep around 6 - 8 until a while ago, this is my second attempt of going vegetarian... The first time I had to stop for this exact reason I was sleeping too much... I searched the internet and I found some solutions for it and I changed my diet and it worked for a while, but now it's just the same, I don't feel tired or anything I just sleep too much!

So since some of you have years of experience with being a vegetarian I'm pretty sure someone will be able to help me, I'm from Brazil so bear with me on this, this is my diet:

Breakfast: Grain Flakes (magnesium, A, B1 thru B6, C, D, E, Iron, Zinc, Calcium, Sodium, Proteins, carbohydrates) there so much stuff in it, it's wonderful and tastes really good as well

1° Meal: Rice with cooked bean and textured soy protein

2° Meal: Rice with cooked bean and textured soy protein

I tend to add tomato sauce on soy protein because it's not as tasty as I'd like

And sometimes I eat some more Grain Flakes as a 4° mean, just because they're amazingly good... Back to my issue. What should I do to avoid sleeping too much? I'm pretty sure it's duo to my diet, I just don't know what to add to make this a problem of the past, I don't intend on going back to eating meat, I actually don't feel like it and for some reason meat seems disgusting to me now, I know my diet is not the most evolved one in the planet I don't have much time to cook so... that is my excuse

Also would like to mention that I read posts and searched for a similar issue but I couldn't find a thread about it, that is the reason I'm starting a new one

On a side note I eat potato chips alot

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Random thoughts: your diet isn't causing you to sleep long; you're simply not motivated to get out of bed. You seem to have extra time with nothing to do, except sleep. Perhaps you should develop a hobby or something, maybe consider some sort of volunteer work? Having a reason to get up makes a big difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Random thoughts: your diet isn't causing you to sleep long; you're simply not motivated to get out of bed. You seem to have extra time with nothing to do, except sleep. Perhaps you should develop a hobby or something, maybe consider some sort of volunteer work? Having a reason to get up makes a big difference.
Not really the problem here, actually oversleeping is getting in the way of my work a bit, and I do have motivation to get up, extra time would be nice as a matter of fact

As a designer I usually tend to get lost in work and after hours realize that I've worked way too much for that day, well that is a little bit beside the point I guess, I'm confident that the problem lies in my diet because last time I changed back to non-veggie and 3 days later I had no problem with oversleeping, so something is wrong with my current diet I just can't figure out what yet, and the internet doesn't have as much info as I would like on veggie nutrition problems...

As for a hobby I have my Games, movies and random stuff that I tend to do for fun, not really lacking in that department I assure you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Is that all you're eating? Are you eating this stuff everyday? Where are the fruits and veggies?
... I thought that as practical, do I need more? What would you recommend? I really wanna know what is wrong with diet and I'm a little bit worried now...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I, too, noticed the lack of fresh fruits and vegetables. You have a very bean/rice heavy diet which is exactly what can make you feel sleepy. And, you're depending on getting your vitamin intake from fortified grains rather than from natural sources.

Get some fruit into you with oranges, apples, mangos, bananas, etc. You need greens, vegetables, and more variety.

If you don't have time to cook, make big batches of stuff so you can eat off of it for a few days. I tend to cook a lot on Sundays when I have some time to spend in the kitchen. Then, I'm set for several meals. Prep a giant salad, without the dressing so it keeps better, that lasts for a couple days. There are lots of great "make ahead" recipes out there and cookbooks that cater to cooking for just one or two.

Another thought -perhaps switch up the beans to lentils and throw a bunch of spinach in there to wilt it down. That's an easy way to get some extra vegetables into you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agree with everyone else - you should definitely get more vegetables and fruits into your diet. Preferably fresh, if you can, and raw, too, not just cooked - there's a lot more nutrition when veggies and fruits are raw. While whole grains are good, they shouldn't be overdone - and the key to any diet is variety. Not only would Rice + beans + soy protein get boring after awhile, I'm sure, it's also not really healthy at all. Your body needs so much more than that. I'm surprised you aren't having more problems than just lethargy.

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
I was thinking the same as others--too much of the same thing in your diet. To be healthy you need variety, and also you need a diet balanced with fats, whole grains, fruits and vegetables. It sounds as though you don't have enough variety or the right food groups.

Are you even eating enough calories? It doesn't sound like you are.

All of those things would make you tired.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so I should add fruits to my diet I suppose, should I just go for in between meals or should I just replace a whole meal with fruits? As for vegetables do you guys have any tips on the best ones? They're quite easy to add to my meals I suppose, and the idea of adding raw vegetables seems quite cool to me, I can just add some sauce and voilÃ*!

Is it a good idea to eat macaroni on a Veggie Diet? I like it a lot but I'm not clear on the nutritional value of said food

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post

Are you even eating enough calories? It doesn't sound like you are.
I think I am, aside from sleeping too much I have no other problem, and when I don't eat enough I tend to feel cold on any temperature below 20° C, I'm on 14° C right now and I'm ok, so I don't think that is a problem or at least it's not a problem for the moment, I'll change and improve my diet, actually that is the sole reason I entered this forum, and I hope in the future I'll be able to help others do the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegginMegabeth View Post

If you don't have time to cook, make big batches of stuff so you can eat off of it for a few days. I tend to cook a lot on Sundays when I have some time to spend in the kitchen. Then, I'm set for several meals. Prep a giant salad, without the dressing so it keeps better, that lasts for a couple days. There are lots of great "make ahead" recipes out there and cookbooks that cater to cooking for just one or two.

Another thought -perhaps switch up the beans to lentils and throw a bunch of spinach in there to wilt it down. That's an easy way to get some extra vegetables into you.
Making salads ahead of time seems like a good idea, is it advisable to mix fruits with a salad? Sound delicious to me!

Since I live in a small town getting some of the things I need is quite challenging (to say the least) and Spinach is on the list of next to impossible to get and if I'm not mistaken it's a seasonal vegetable isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumo View Post

I agree with everyone else - you should definitely get more vegetables and fruits into your diet. Preferably fresh, if you can, and raw, too, not just cooked - there's a lot more nutrition when veggies and fruits are raw. While whole grains are good, they shouldn't be overdone - and the key to any diet is variety. Not only would Rice + beans + soy protein get boring after awhile, I'm sure, it's also not really healthy at all. Your body needs so much more than that. I'm surprised you aren't having more problems than just lethargy.
I eat so much Grains! As for problems, I'm oversleeping but I don't know if I can call that lethargy (not yet anyways), for the moment it is affecting only how much I sleep, last time, I went back to eating meat but I won't do that again! So I have a question for you and everyone who feels like it: What is your Veggie or Vegan Diet?

(Feel free to point me to a post if there is one)

I think would be more helpful finding out what the "veterans" like, than trying to pin point what is wrong with my current diet, I can just improve it 'till the problem is no more

Thanks for the responses, this really seems to be a nice community,
and sorry if I'm asking too much but I'm really eager to be a Vegetarian, we're humans, we're smart it's not fair to kill other sentient beings for food IMHO

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

I agree with this. There was a period of time when I was taking 18 credit hours and working 50 hrs/week. I only had 4 hours to sleep each night, and it was enough because it had to be.

As far as food choices- I'd say green vegetables are what you're looking for. Broccoli, spinach, etc. Drink coffee. I can't say that macaroni has any real nutritional value.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Try meth. I hear tweakers don't need much sleep.

(NOTE: Do not actually try meth.)

While there has been some general advice about eating healthier, I'm not really sure that diet per se has much impact on your need for sleep. I'd be glad to have anyone with a background in nutrition correct me on this, but I'm not familiar with any relationship. Of course, eating healthier with more fruits and veggies is great, but it might not make you need less sleep.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts