VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying that I'm not a full-fledged vegetarian. I'm what you might call a flexitarian. (I can almost SEE some people rolling their eyes
). But for years I've wanted to take that final step and go completely veggie. To be honest, I just want to hang out with you guys and see the world of vegetarianism from your point of view.

So... can I jump in for the ride?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the facts about why IS it better to be vegetarian in terms of health and environment. I guess I can look at all the facts out there on the internet but it's really not the same as actually talking to people who follow a certain life style and seeing how becoming a vegetarian has affected them.

I promise, I'm not here to stir up any argument or controversy. All I want is to learn about how people have bettered themselves by going veggie and how I can better myself as well.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Sure, use the search button to type in keywords; or just keep up with the new posts by hitting the "New posts" link at the top of the page.

If you find something you'd like to respond to, check the date. A lot of threads that you find in searches are pretty old. Don't respond if they're pretty outdated, as that bumps them to the top of the new posts. You will find plenty of information on this site. Some good, some bad, and LOTS of contradictory opinions. Welcome.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Welcome to VB! Don't be overwhelmed by the amount of forums we have. Just go to the ones you find interesting. For newbie-type questions, we have New to Vegetarianism. We also have a Vegetarian Discussion forum and a Vegan Discussion forum. Well, you can see all that from the main page and at the forum jump menu as the bottom of the screen.

I hope you like it here, and don't let anybody trash talk you because you're in the transition stages.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks skylark
That really means a lot to me, the part about not letting anyone trashtalk me because I'm not a vegetarian yet since I dealt with that a few hours ago on another place.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
White Rose, that's really sad, but it's all too common. Some vegetarians, like members of any other group, expect perfection above all else, and they forget newbies in particular are struggling with even the basics.

If anybody gives you a hard time here, give me a holler.
I'll be there to back you up.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Anytime, dahlin'.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
I think you can bump old threads if you want to. I've never seen the harm in that.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I think you can bump old threads if you want to. I've never seen the harm in that.
Sure, you can. It just annoys the hell out of a LOT of people.

WhiteRose: See, even conflicting opinions in your welcome thread.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
the official mod position on bumping threads:

Do a search first to see if there is a more current thread on the same topic.

If the OP and most of the posters are still around, and there isn't a more recent thread, feel free to bump it.

If not, consider starting a new thread.

If you do bump a thread, please do everyone the courtesy of writing *BUMP* in your post...

see, Moderators have all the answers!!

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Welcome to VB!
Good luck with your transition to vegetarianism. We can always do with another veggie, but no pressure, I promise!

(that wasn't too harsh, was it?)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The way I started was to try it for a week. It dosent really take special foods. You dont have to throw anything away. After trying it a week, I went ovo-lacto 80/20% of the time. Then later I went 100%. I think that any cutting down on meat consumption helps, though I am not as strict as some people. For me, it was a journey of a few years. There is nothing really wrong with taking your time and moving gradually. Good luck and hope this place helps you.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Hi! My sister is flexitarian - eats mostly vegetarian but will eat meat at my parent's house, lol. I think its great you are considering taking the next step!!! You are very welcome here and if you have any questions at all (from basic nutrition to pregnancy nutrition!) we are here!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts