VeggieBoards banner

Hi I'm new here!

905 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  GhostUser 
#1 ·
Hello I'm new and just wanted to intriduce myself. My name is Izzie, I'm 21 and I've been vegetarian for many sensible and compassionate reasons most of my life. I recently turned vegan which was easier than I expected becuase there are no vegetables, beans or pulses that I that I dislike!!! What annoys me most about society today is the lack of awareness conserning the lack of animal welfare within intensive farming methods. Because many vegetarians choose not to consume meat for varying reasons I'm interested to know what your personal thoughts are about this.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #2 ·
hi izzie,

the large scale agriculture business is very much cloak and daggers. their cruel, and unfair ways exist and have only gotten worse partly because the people who they serve have been brainwashed into not caring about their food other than "is it red? that looks good, juicy, blah. milk does a body good". there is very little ...upfrontness. or as i like to say, glasnost
. i read a book on chernobyl recently and that was a big topic in there. glasnost was russias propaganda that "they will be totally honest and true about all aspects of their government with their people...it was kinda more just throwin up smoke though..."

i think i read this in "fast food nation", but if slaughterhouses were made of glass....there would be much less violence in the world. i was thinking about this the other day.

becoming a vegan for me has been totally about becoming more aware of what is going on in SOOO many facets of life. i stress this to people i talk to about being a vegan. i learned to read labels and ingredient lists early on, but only after i became a vegan did i understand that i have the concious power to CHOOSE...what i feel is better. and for more legitmate reasons other than "is it on sale? oh...its abercrombie and fitch!...blah, blah". its stupid, i work at a thrift store. and we charge people a lot more money for cheaply made NAME brand clothing. people allways are kinda pissy about it when they come up...and you know what? i have a REALLY hard time justifying why name brands really cost more...mostly, its just hype and marketing crap.

oh, and welcome to the boards.

you might say hello in the introduce yourself forum. that is generally where people do this sort of thing.

best!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.