VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a student studying and living in Toronto. And I am a Chinese..
it might be rare to see a Chinese being vegan since even I have never met one in my life (sadly..cuz you know Chinese ppl really eat alot of things) but I am one of them (I know they exist through internet). I just became one 3 months ago instantly after seeing meetyourmeat video on youtube. But soon after I got in alot of arguments with my mom..and some I had hard time dealing with. And the main reason made me came here is of that reason. I really hope some of you can help me make valid arguments against my mom.
 

·
Impeach the gangster
Joined
·
10,052 Posts
Yes, you have made a choice for yourself and you have made a good one. Welcome to VeggieBoards!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the argument i find the hardest to argue is that "plant eating kills animals too, therefore vegans are hypocrites ". Just let you know my mom is in a german chemical company and she is in d department of selling that company's pesticides in China. She recently went to Germany on a business trip and found out that they use puppies to test on pesticides (to see if there r any side effects on human). I found it really hard to argue since I can not get everything organic since I am a student so I dont have the time and money to go to a organic store to buy veges. Can anyone come with a good argument against my mom? that would help so much!! cuz I am going back for 2 days I can not stand her making me to eat meat everyday. BTW I have two dogs there I cant wait to go c them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reesefang View Post

the argument i find the hardest to argue is that "plant eating kills animals too, therefore vegans are hypocrites ". Just let you know my mom is in a german chemical company and she is in d department of selling that company's pesticides in China. She recently went to Germany on a business trip and found out that they use puppies to test on pesticides (to see if there r any side effects on human). I found it really hard to argue since I can not get everything organic since I am a student so I dont have the time and money to go to a organic store to buy veges. Can anyone come with a good argument against my mom? that would help so much!! cuz I am going back for 2 days I can not stand her making me to eat meat everyday. BTW I have two dogs there I cant wait to go c them
it takes more resources/plants to feed the animals that people eat than it takes for people that just eat plants so by being a vegetarian or vegan you've reduced the amount of plants you consume. so if eating plants kills animals then following a plant based diet reduces animal death in 2 ways. also, you have to eat something and you're choosing the least damaging option available.
for example, i hit a bird with my car the other day. i tried to avoid it but there wasn't time. that doesn't mean i'm going to stop driving as it's the only option for the most part and i'm not going to start trying to hit a bird every time i see one.

in the end, some people will accept none of your arguments regardless of how good it is and you just have to try to get past it and ask them to accept your choices even if they think it's stupid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,456 Posts
你好

Good luck with everything. I hope it all works out
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
Quote:
the argument i find the hardest to argue is that "plant eating kills animals too, therefore vegans are hypocrites
you know, for every person that does not eat meat, that equates to less animals needed to feed people, so if they still try to produce just as many animals, those animals are eating your food, and you really cant appreciate that.
Besides, the animals that you are "taking food from" are only alive to be grown and slaughtered in a inhumane way to feed the humans.

suggest your mother shift her work over to producing a better plant product for humans to eat. Without her research, you might becoundernourishedhed and die. does she want THAT on her consciencense?
 

·
Ex-*****
Joined
·
5,391 Posts
Welcome to VB, reesefang!

I don't think veganism is about causing no harm whatsoever, it's about reducing harm. Just by our mere existence we accidentally kill and maim little animals like ants when we walk around outside. And so do other animals who are natural herbivores, like horses and cows, when they walk around. We try to avoid causing harm as much as is practically possible, but sometimes it's just too hard. That doesn't make us hypocrites. Or if it does, then surely that is still much preferable to being a person who doesn't care at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

Welcome to VB, reesefang!

I don't think veganism is about causing no harm whatsoever, it's about reducing harm. Just by our mere existence we accidentally kill and maim little animals like ants when we walk around outside. And so do other animals who are natural herbivores, like horses and cows, when they walk around. We try to avoid causing harm as much as is practically possible, but sometimes it's just too hard. That doesn't make us hypocrites. Or if it does, then surely that is still much preferable to being a person who doesn't care at all.
I actually used all this including fatman's argument to against my mom's arguments before(I did my research). But since she specialize in agriculture, it is really hard for me to argue. She does not agree with eating less animal saves more plants etc. Her argument was : "it is a fact that they eat more grass and roots that we humans do not need." But for the other argument about causing no harm as one best can do, she never really replied to that, I think I might have a better chance using that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

it takes more resources/plants to feed the animals that people eat than it takes for people that just eat plants so by being a vegetarian or vegan you've reduced the amount of plants you consume. so if eating plants kills animals then following a plant based diet reduces animal death in 2 ways. also, you have to eat something and you're choosing the least damaging option available.
for example, i hit a bird with my car the other day. i tried to avoid it but there wasn't time. that doesn't mean i'm going to stop driving as it's the only option for the most part and i'm not going to start trying to hit a bird every time i see one.

in the end, some people will accept none of your arguments regardless of how good it is and you just have to try to get past it and ask them to accept your choices even if they think it's stupid
That is quite true. I have met ppl who just simply dont agree with me but cant argue with me and there were one guy who watched earthlings and meet your meat and agreed with the movies but just cant make himself shift to a vegetarian diet even though his dad's family is entirely vegan(cuz of buddism).
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top