VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been wanting to transition to vegetarianism for a while now and just have a couple of quick questions for the board.

First off I have been a long time meat eater, but my doctors tell me I really need a life style change, so for those of you that have made similar transitions, is there anything that comes close to bacon?

And the second question, is a bit embarrassing, but in college I dated a girl that was a strict vegetarian and her flatulence was unparallelled. In fact I may well have married her had it not been for her noxious air biscuits. I just got a a new job in a closed in, cubicle farm type environment and the last thing I need is to be crop dusting my new colleagues. Is this common for vegetarians and, if so, is there a cure?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I surely hope you're not a troll since you seem to want to throw animal and farm based references in there, but I will answer you. I'd kindly suggest leaving those at the door for other posts, ok?

yes there is soy fake bacon you can buy, you can also make thin "bacon" strips using tempeh with the same seasonings and soy sauce to replicate the flavors, as well as also making crumbles, which is great on pizza or as a side to waffles or other bkft foods

As far as the gas goes, it could have been her digestive system. Once you get used to eating high fiber foods or beans, the gas usually lessens. But it also depends on how food was prepared too...some foods like the cruciferous veggies just cause more gas in some people

Please be sure to check out the new to vegetarianism forum. You can ask all the questions you want in how to transition there.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
From my personal experience, I was less gassy after the transition, and when I do pass gas, it is rarely even noticeable. I would even say this about going #2 as well. Don't act like your **** don't stink...well, mine doesn't really
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
The top three foods that causes me stinky gas were:
1.Eggs
2.Steak
3.Raw apples

After going veg I rarely have gas, and it barely smells at all. It's usually poor food combining-for me that would be a raw salad and too many nuts.

It's pretty strange how many people say they associate vegetarians with gas yet the majority of meateaters have gas that can clear a room! I don't any veg. with stinky gas. There are those who have food sensitivities -sounds like that may have been your friends problem- esp wheat and soy.

They do have bacon salt!
Liquid smoke adds a nice flavor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts