VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, my name is De and I am a very new Vegetarian. I began a journey about 6 months ago to eat as organic and natural as possible and after doing some research on the health benefits of being a Vegetarian, (and realizing the horrors of the cattle industry), I decided to give it a go.

I'm 28, was raised on meat my entire life, and know NO Vegetarians. In fact, I have received some pretty awful reactions when I have told people I am trying to be a Vegetarian. So I was pretty glad to find this place! :- )

Happy to be here and learn!
 

·
Impeach the gangster
Joined
·
10,052 Posts
Howdy, Ya'll!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,567 Posts
Hi there, De.

I got family in south Texas. It is the friendliest state I have ever been in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Welcome,

What part of TX are you in? Austin has several excellent vegetarian restaurants if you are near there.

I'm in the borderlands, 5 miles from MX. I love going up to Austin just because of the restaurants but don't get to do it often because it is a long drive.

This is a great resource for vegetarians. I share your feeling of being the only vegetarian in town and found this site because I wanted to reconnect with like minded people.

People will eventually adjust. I've been here 7 years (vegetarian before I moved here) and within about 2 years of moving here, they started listing a vegetarian dish for the pot lucks at work and that includes eating the vegetarian dish, along with the fajitas and sausages, but still it is a big step.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
HI! I'm in East Texas also! What town do you live in? I live in a little town called Tatum (population 1174 I think! lol) but I get groceries in Longview. I know it's hard here in East Texas, the barbeque capitol of the world! lol! But it can be done! I'm enjoying trying new foods and recipes!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacydan View Post

HI! I'm in East Texas also! What town do you live in? I live in a little town called Tatum (population 1174 I think! lol) but I get groceries in Longview. I know it's hard here in East Texas, the barbeque capitol of the world! lol! But it can be done! I'm enjoying trying new foods and recipes!
Oh wow I can't believe I found somebody so close! Awesome! I live in Longview! Where do you shop at here? I shop at Jacks Natural Foods and at The Granary. Tyler has a new store called "Brookshires Fresh" and it's supposed to be awesome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
I do like the Granary also, but I get alot of my stuff at the Vitamins Plus section of Drug Emporium because sometimes I can't get to the Granary before they close, since they aren't open on the weekends anymore. and I've gotten several things at Jack's (before I found out about the Granary), but their prices seemed a little high. Also, Kroger is the only place I've found so far that has fresh shiitake mushrooms (and they have a chocolate soy pudding that is really good too) and they have alot of organic produce; but most of the time I just go to Walmart for generic grocery items because its closer and easier and I'm also getting household items too. I've heard about that store in Tyler but haven't been yet, I don't get to Tyler very often, but when I do I like to eat at Genghis Grill - they have tofu and I can get all the vegetables my little bowl can handle! Love it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacydan View Post

I do like the Granary also, but I get alot of my stuff at the Vitamins Plus section of Drug Emporium because sometimes I can't get to the Granary before they close, since they aren't open on the weekends anymore. and I've gotten several things at Jack's (before I found out about the Granary), but their prices seemed a little high. Also, Kroger is the only place I've found so far that has fresh shiitake mushrooms (and they have a chocolate soy pudding that is really good too) and they have alot of organic produce; but most of the time I just go to Walmart for generic grocery items because its closer and easier and I'm also getting household items too. I've heard about that store in Tyler but haven't been yet, I don't get to Tyler very often, but when I do I like to eat at Genghis Grill - they have tofu and I can get all the vegetables my little bowl can handle! Love it!
Yeah, Jacks is a little high to me too. Have you seen organic strawberries at Kroger or anywhere else? We eat alot of those in my house and I try to buy organic on produce that we eat the outer layer of. I've never been to the other store you mention or the resturant but may just have to try it now, thanks! :- )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Hey, and welcome! I just moved from Azle (near Ft Worth) to Odessa. It can be a real pain to be Vegetarian/Vegan in the BBQ belt of America, but if you grab a few cookbooks, it DOES help a LOT. You would be surprised at what a can of beans and a decent amount of spices can do!

Good Luck on your Journey,

S
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatVegan1980 View Post

Hey, and welcome! I just moved from Azle (near Ft Worth) to Odessa. It can be a real pain to be Vegetarian/Vegan in the BBQ belt of America, but if you grab a few cookbooks, it DOES help a LOT. You would be surprised at what a can of beans and a decent amount of spices can do!

Good Luck on your Journey,

S
Thanks for the tip, I'm def. going to start trying to find a few good cookbooks. Lol we have a BBQ joint on almost every street around here!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRAVegetarian View Post

Thanks for the tip, I'm def. going to start trying to find a few good cookbooks. Lol we have a BBQ joint on almost every street around here!
"The Supermarket Vegan" is a very easy one to get (as in, you can find MOST of the stuff in there at your local supermarket). and I HIGHLY recommend getting "The Complete guide to Vegan food substitutions" because that will EASE you into finding ideal swaps (not to mention, their recipe for PB&J pie is EASY to make and VERY VERY VERY yum!). Eventually you will want to get "The veganomicon" (aka: The bible of vegan books).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatVegan1980 View Post

"The Supermarket Vegan" is a very easy one to get (as in, you can find MOST of the stuff in there at your local supermarket). and I HIGHLY recommend getting "The Complete guide to Vegan food substitutions" because that will EASE you into finding ideal swaps (not to mention, their recipe for PB&J pie is EASY to make and VERY VERY VERY yum!). Eventually you will want to get "The veganomicon" (aka: The bible of vegan books).
Hey thanks! I will def. get to Amazon and get those! :- )
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top