VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hope it's okay to introduce myself like this. There's so much to read here and I'm not quite sure I'm putting this in the right place.

About 8 years ago a friend from England came to visit. He was (and still is) vegetarian. Out of respect, my husband and I only ate vegetarian for the week that he was here. The day he left, we had sausage for dinner and it just made us sick. My husband and I are both animal lovers and we looked at what we were eating and talked about why we were eating meat. We didn't eat meat for the entire week our friend was visiting and it was no big deal. Here we were, eating a dead animal just to satisfy our taste buds? Neither one of us has eaten meat since. For me, giving up buying leather products (mostly shoes!) was harder than not eating meat.

I'm 33 and now divorced, although he and I are friends. We have a wonderful daughter. I have 6 kids total. One of the human kind, one of the canine kind, and 4 of the feline kind. I'm currently training the dog to be a therapy dog. Once he is fully trained, I will take him to the Children's Hospital.

There's a lot more, but I think that's enough about myself for now! I'm here to connect with people having similar values and beliefs. I wouldn't mind some tips on how to meet other vegetarians. I haven't met a single omni that I've been attracted to since I've been divorced. The thought of kissing a meat eater totally disgusts me. I've found meeting other vegs is very difficult.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Hi and welcome. I think it's neat that you ate veg for your friend. What's even neater is that your body told you how much it liked it. The reason I came to the boards is because I, also, have problems meeting vegetarians. in fact, I don't know any except for a friend that is trying it out. You will make some cool friends here. Although they may not be in the flesh, it's a real supportive community.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Hi Portulaca!!
and
to your therapy dog!!! and a sort of wave to your cats...

(I wouldn't consider cats as therapy on the other hand!) LOL.. of course I'm JOKING, indeed A LOT of women love owning cats I've noticed. LOL

Anyway, good that your veg visitor of old worked his vegtastic magic on you to sprout such veggy inklings in you too!!!
and your child is veggy now I presume too! (the human one)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the warm welcomes!

My daughter is veggy. 6 years old and never has a dead animal passed her lips. Lucky girl! I don't want to force it on her of course, and she knows that if she is at a friend's house or grandma and grandpa's house and she wants to try meat, she can. She never has though. So far so good! She's a very smart and sensitive girl and I'm hoping she will stick with it forever.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Hello & welcome!
Thats so neat that you're raising a therapy dog! Though I'm sure it'll be hard to part ways when the time comes. Hope you enjoy VB. What are your cats names?

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Welcome Portulaca! I'm jealous... I mean... I'm Max! I love Portland. If I can tear myself away from my friends on the Right Coast, I'd be there in a flash.

Hey, what do you know about Lewis & Clark College, and Pacific Univ. ????

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seadolphin, I'm keeping my doggie. I guess I should have made that clearer! He's my dog forever. I'll take him to the Children's Hospital as a volunteer once or twice a week and I'll be there with him the whole time. He and I will interact with the patients and their families. I spent some time in a Children's Hospital when I was a kid and there were volunteers who did it for me and the other patients. I know it was incredibly theraputic for me and I'm really excited to be on the giving end this time.

My cat's names are Mike, Willy, Sara, and Molly. Mike is old and crabby, Willy is Mr. Independent, Sara is Miss Prissy, and Molly is super sweet. My dog's name is Gus. He's a 9 month old lab mix. Do you have any furry kids of your own?

Max, I'm not real familiar with the colleges here. I moved here about 10 years ago from Minneapolis - after my college days. I've heard Lewis and Clark is a great school, and, um, I've never heard of Pacific University. I'm a dork. Portland is a great place though. Have you lived here or just visited?

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
I've visited a bunch of times. I almost cried the first time I had to leave. It's just sooooo cool! If I don't get into any grad schools in Philly I might just move there and write for a while. Soooooo cool!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What a wonderful story Portulaca (except for the divorce part, sorry about that)! I have been vegetarian all of my adult life, and I find the shoe part more difficult than the meat part! What is so difficult about designing a cool vegan shoe! I guess if I wore polyester leisure suits I could bring myself to buy some of those ugly shoes! Hehe! So nice to meet you!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hello, Portulaca!
That's a great story about how you became veg. Though my veggie friends weren't my deciding factor, many of them helped show me that the world of the veggies wasn't so tough after all.

Anyway, welcome to the boards!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Welcome to the board, there are lots of nice people here. I have only visited Portland once and I'm DYING to go back and visit again, I fell in love with the city and didn't want to leave. I'm trying to talk my husband into relocating.

cheers

Alison

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Max and Alison, have you been to Portland in the middle of Feb when it's been raining for 3 weeks non-stop?
When I haven't seen the sun for weeks, it gets depressing. Spring, summer, and fall are great though!

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Portulaca

Max and Alison, have you been to Portland in the middle of Feb when it's been raining for 3 weeks non-stop?
When I haven't seen the sun for weeks, it gets depressing. Spring, summer, and fall are great though!
My first trip was, admittedly, a remarkably dry one. However, I've been there at all times of the year, and I still love it. I'm not one of those annoying depressed artsy-noire types who like cold dark and dreary. However, I do believe that what affects me more than the condition of the weather is the change in the condition of the weather. It's 82 and sunny now. Lovely! Last night it was cooler, rainy, and humid. Tomorrow, 98 and humid. Then three days of downpours, I expect. That's so annoying!!! The Pac NW is made for rain. You move there expecting dry, you get what you deserve!

(Not you, YOU, but the generic-sense you
)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Portulaca

I lived in Chicago for two years and live in southern Indiana currently, I will take rain in the winter over 20 feet of snow anyday!
I visited Portland towards the end of March, it happend to be sunny and about 50 degrees.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All the rain does keep it green and beautiful. I grew up in the midwest and I know all about snow. I agree about rain being better than snow. Another good thing about Oregon is that we don't have the mosquitos like the midwest does. One of the first things I noticed when I moved here was that most people don't have screens on their windows.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts