1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!!

My name is Tony and I am a vegetarian
)
At least that is my aim. Or possibly even a vegan if I can manage it.

I never really planned to become a vege. I have just become far more aware over the last couple of years about where my food actually comes from. I had found myself buying less and less meat from the supermarket to a point that I no longer buy any.

I have always seen myself as an animal lover as long as I can remember. I actually even run a dog rescue website and I have volunteered for a couple of dog rescues. I no longer enjoy eating meat as I actually associate it with an animal that has suffered an horrendous death in a slaughter house. Whereas in the past I would just see it as `meat'. I love the fact that I have a clear conscience now that I don't eat meat.

If I'm honest, I am just a bit concerned about getting all the nutrition that I need. But I must say that already I feel more energetic and I seem to be sleeping better after not eating any meat recently. My apologies if I am a bit nieve. Would it help for me to take iron and b12 supplements maybe?

I am also feeling myself wanting to avoid dairy products too due to ethical reasons.
I will give soya milk and almond milk a try and see how I get on with them.
I'm a bit of a coffee lover, I'm not sure how soya milk will taste in coffee? Might just start having black coffee.

I am quite excited by the thought of a new start and a clearer conscience. But at the same time I am a little bit daunted.

Anyway, sorry to babble. I'll look around the forum and see what advice I can dig out
)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dormouse. Pleased to meet you
)

I have just been reading through some of the threads on the forum. In particular a thread about vegan dog food. I am going to investigate it further when I get the chance.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Welcome!

If you are concerned about nutrition you might be interested in the free nutrition tracking tool on sparkpeople.com. You enter the foods and quantities you ate during the day and it compiles the nutrients, generates reports, and provides guidance on whether you are getting too much or not enough of anything in particular and the possible health consequences.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link. I have signed up on SparkPeople. Do you need to enter all the nutritional info for each food. For example, if I grab a sandwich when I'm out and about and don't save the packaging I don't have the nutritional info to input.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Welcome, ShelterHelper! Soy milk tastes great in coffee

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky13 View Post

Try posting on ur own thread lol sorry had to say it
Was that for me? Did I do something wrong? Sorry, new here

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayaker View Post

Was that for me? Did I do something wrong? Sorry, new here
Go to the forum that this thread is in and create a welcome thread.
That way everyone has their own.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Go to the forum that this thread is in and create a welcome thread.
That way everyone has their own.
Thank you Sequoia.
I am sorry ShelterHelper, I am new and a tad techno challenged...WELCOME!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hello Tony,

I'm also a new member and it's nice to see many Brits on board.

That is a very interesting site to run; helping stray animals. I'll have to go over and see for my-self.

Whereabouts are you located in Berkshire ? My family lives in the Thames River Valley region which is a great place to visit.

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
My personal recommendation is to periodically enter your day's intake into mypyramidtracker.gov. It's free and will tell you if you're getting the appropriate amount of vitamins and other nutritional needs.

I don't use a lot of supplements. I just try to eat a balanced diet. I don't think there's anything wrong w/supplements when used as an adjunct to a healthy diet. I just don't find evidence they're helpful to someone who already eats healthy.

Once in a while I see I am low on B vitamins or potassium so I eat foods to give me a boost. Or a bowl of Total cereal.

Re the coffee creamer. My experience is I liked coconut and soy based creamers but found dark & sweet espresso better than with those. I do like regular cream in my espresso but gave it up for health reasons. The other creamers taste ok but don't lighten it and don't give the texture of cream. You might like them, give them a try. (I don't drink regular coffee, espresso only, so that may make a difference.)

Best wishes

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvas View Post

Hello Tony,

I'm also a new member and it's nice to see many Brits on board.

That is a very interesting site to run; helping stray animals. I'll have to go over and see for my-self.

Whereabouts are you located in Berkshire ? My family lives in the Thames River Valley region which is a great place to visit.
Hi there Shyvas. I live in Berkshire. I don't run a dog rescue, it is purely a website that draws attention to dogs that have been overlooked in dog rescue kennels for a long time. I volunteer at dog rescues as a dog walker and help with other things when needed like transporting dogs etc.

So you are from France.. this forum has a nice selection of people from different countries
)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post

My personal recommendation is to periodically enter your day's intake into mypyramidtracker.gov. It's free and will tell you if you're getting the appropriate amount of vitamins and other nutritional needs.

I don't use a lot of supplements. I just try to eat a balanced diet. I don't think there's anything wrong w/supplements when used as an adjunct to a healthy diet. I just don't find evidence they're helpful to someone who already eats healthy.

Once in a while I see I am low on B vitamins or potassium so I eat foods to give me a boost. Or a bowl of Total cereal.

Re the coffee creamer. My experience is I liked coconut and soy based creamers but found dark & sweet espresso better than with those. I do like regular cream in my espresso but gave it up for health reasons. The other creamers taste ok but don't lighten it and don't give the texture of cream. You might like them, give them a try. (I don't drink regular coffee, espresso only, so that may make a difference.)

Best wishes
That pyramid tracker sounds like just what I need. I'll check it out.

I am going shopping soon. I'll get the soy, almond and coconut milks if I can see them all. Then I'll try them all out to see which ones I like.

I'm a bit confused about which milk replacers are actually good for you. I read mixed reviews about soy milk for example. Some nutritionists say it isn't as good as made out whilst others sing it's praises. But I suppose it's like anything. I need to do some more of my own research.

I think I'll take a few supplements until I'm pretty sure I'm giving myself a balanced diet. Then maybe I'll stop taking the supplements.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelterHelper View Post

Hi there Shyvas. I live in Berkshire. I don't run a dog rescue, it is purely a website that draws attention to dogs that have been overlooked in dog rescue kennels for a long time. I volunteer at dog rescues as a dog walker and help with other things when needed like transporting dogs etc.

So you are from France.. this from has a nice selection of people from different countries
)
I'm orginally from the Garden of England and my family lives near Maidenhead.

That is very nice of you to take those poor mites out for a walk. I bet that they are over the moon. It beats me why anyone would want to abandon a dog.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.