VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Beata [bee-ah-tah] and I have been on the veggies for 5 days tomorrow (Friday). I'm 20, living in Las Vegas. I only have a few friends who are vegetarians, so I'm in this on my own, though everyone is supportive. So far I've been feeling pretty groovy. My only concern is that I'm getting an adequate amount of all the nutrients I need. I wasn't much of a meat eater previously, so this transition hasn't been that hard. I have heard great experience and not so great ones. And, of course, the not so great ones leave a lasting impression. I've heard "my hair fell out," "I fainted," and "gained 20 pounds" stories. I hope none of the above will happen to me. I am choosing to lead this lifestyle, because I want to be healthy for the rest of my life. I want to eat right and be closer with the earth. So if anyone could give me great pointers on how this whole thing works, I would greatly appreciate that.

On a not so pleasant note, I am experiencing a bit of bloating. I read on some message boards that it is normal and will eventually diminish. Is this correct?

Thanks guys! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi there Beata! Welcome
Congrats on starting your vegetarian journal. In regards to the nutrients, the more you read up and educate yourself on being vegetarian (or vegan, raw...), the know you'll know what some of vitamins and minerals are in what food, and what you need to be eating enough of in order to not get too low in, say, B12 or Iron. I suggest getting some blood work done to see what your initial levels are and then in perhaps three months go back and make sure you're still in a good place. I waited a little too long to get mine done and ended up with very low Iron, B12 and vitamin D, so it's always good to check up on those things every now and again.

I haven't heard of anyone having their hair fall out, so I don't think you need to worry about that at all. Also with fainting, the only thing I can think of is that they weren't eating enough/weren't eating enough nutrient-dense foods. And about the weight gain, of course you can gain weight on any kind of diet, and you can still eat certain "junk foods", so it's just up to the person to eat properly and to have reasonable portions throughout the day.

Bloating is definitely common for a lot of people. What sort of veggies have you been eating the most? You can try googling Plant enzymes or I've recently heard from another veggieboard member that Activated Charcoal can help with bloating if you take a capsule before eating. For me, I only tend to get bloated after dinner, so I'll take a capsule make up of 100% plant enzymes and it seems to eliminate all/most of the bloating.

Some things are just harder to digest. For example, if you're eating (raw) nuts, soaking them first makes them easier to digest. Raw nuts have enzyme inhibitors and if you soak them, you'll be able to take in more of the nutrients.

Umm guess that's all for now. You're just starting out so if you have more specific questions it'll be easier for us to help you out.

Peace!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts