VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got so aggravated looking for a HFCS free bread last night, and when I finally found one, I didn't look at the rest of the ingrediants too closely, and only after rereading the ingrediant list today, did I discover whey was included.

What are everyone's favorite breads? I'm just looking for a regular loaf of bread for sandwiches, preferably whole wheat. I know there are organic-sprouted versions, but those are really out of my price range.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Arnold's! they are HFCS free. we usually get the whole wheat light, or the sandwich rounds are also vegan. I think most if not all of them are. Even the potato bread is HFCS free, which I buy for my daughter who isn't veg, but I know it doesn't have that in it at least

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I have the packages for both the ww sandwich rounds and the HealthFull and neither of them have Vit D listed on the ingredients. BUT....the Healthfull has whey in it, which my hubby eats...so no, they're not all vegan I guess.

I like the Light ww, which is what I use most of the time.

·
Registered
580 Posts
My kroger doesn't carry the "light" arnold's bread. We just have the whole wheat, whole grain, high fiber, and the buns. All of them but the buns have D3.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
what ingredient is listed that indicates the D3? I'm curious now?

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
It actually says "D3" on the packaging. I was devastated when Arnold's added that as that was my bread of choice and not as pricey as some others. The Italian seems to be free of the dreaded non-vegan "D3."

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
We buy Rudi's bread since Arnold's added D3 but it's a bit pricey here at nearly $5. Simple ingredients, vegan and HFCS free though.

Quote:
Are Rudi's breads vegan?
Yes, Rudi's Organic breads are vegan with the exception of the following varieties that contain honey: Honey Sweet Whole Wheat, European Multigrain, Spelt Tortillas and Whole Spelt Tortillas.

Please note Rudi's Gluten-Free breads are not vegan, they contain egg white and organic honey.
I'd like to attempt baking my own bread sometime.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I do make my own bread sometimes as I do have a bread machine. However I can't make it slice nicely for sandwiches....

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
well, the sandwich rolls and the light don't then...I"m good. But that Healthfull doesn't say it either on the packaging.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, we don't carry most of those brands where I live, but we do have Arnolds, so I'll be sure to check all those next time I'm in the store.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
so I just got back from the grocery store, and Arnold's stone ground 100% whole wheat is vegan, as is the white bread in the white package (besides what's already been mentioned).....please tell me what I'm missing on the D3 issue! I'm not seeing it listed in the ingredients or the nutrition label!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
If you have a bakery near you, that is a good place to pick up "real" bread. We still get supermarket bread occasionally, but the bakery stuff is soooo much better, and basically about the same price.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

so I just got back from the grocery store, and Arnold's stone ground 100% whole wheat is vegan, as is the white bread in the white package (besides what's already been mentioned).....please tell me what I'm missing on the D3 issue! I'm not seeing it listed in the ingredients or the nutrition label!
My kroger doesn't carry stone ground whole wheat, just 100% whole wheat. I'm jealous that you have different varieties! Maybe it's just the different varieties. Because I check every time I go hoping they change it back. LOL It should be listed right in the ingredient list. D3, plain and simple. Maybe I could request stone ground whole wheat at mine, if you are sure it doesn't have D3.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I'm wondering if they have different wrappers for the breads...I swear there is nothing at all that indicates D3 has been added......that's why I was so confused when this thread started and got all worried.....guess it's time to go to Arnold's site.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I feel like we have discussed the Arnold's bread issue already -- but maybe that was with someone else? The issue is that they have 3 or 4 different varieties of 100% whole wheat bread. Some have D3, some have whey, and some are totally vegan. If the label is fine, you should be ok.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
this does NOT look good from their site: there's two pages.....my light and the sandwhich rounds aren't listed though
http://www.arnoldbakery.com/SiteSearch.aspx?sTerms=d3

this requires letter writing! NONE of the labels on their bread say anything about D3 on them....now I'm mad.....

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
ok, this is what I just wrote: "I would like to enquire about the D3 that is added to your bread. I am vegan, and this is currently being discussed on a vegetarian message board, that at some point recently, D3 has been added to your breads.
I live in NY, and my wrappers on the Bakery Light 100% WW, and the ww sandwich rounds do not indicate D3 is being added, in the ingredient list or on the nutritional label.
Could you please let me know what your source of D3 is, and if it is animal based, would you consider removing it so it is safe for Vegetarians and Vegans to consume? I am thankful that you do not use HFCS, which many are happy about, but many of us are quite concered about this issue now..."

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
seriously? mailing addy of BIMBO bakeries?

contact info:
Toll-Free Phone*:
1-800-984-0989
Fax:
1-610-320-9286Mailing Address:
Bimbo Bakeries USA
Consumer Relations Department
P.O. Box 976
Horsham, PA 19044

1 - 20 of 23 Posts