VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Well, I'd say the best way to find out what it's like is to dive right in. Take the 30 Day Vegan challenge, or even just limit your meat consumption to just once per week.

I'm not going to lie, most people find it a little difficult at first, but once you get over the initial cravings, you'll feel better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i tried but i caved bout after 2 and 1/2 weeks so now im trying to learn to cope wit the cravings and the fact every fricken resturaunt in my towns vegan menu consists of crappy salad

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1097 View Post

i tried but i caved bout after 2 and 1/2 weeks so now im trying to learn to cope wit the cravings and the fact every fricken resturaunt in my towns vegan menu consists of crappy salad
Just remember that very few of us went vegan cold turkey. It takes time. Just keep at it, you'll get there
Have you tried calling the restaurant in advance to see if they can make something special for you? Tell them you have allergies.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It's not easy in the beginning, that's for sure, but no drastic change in your life is.

My best advice for pursuing something like this is to find a large idea to keep your focus on it. It's difficult to trudge along with the idea, "I want to be a vegetarian", so put your sights on "Vegetarian/veganism is the most ethical thing I can do" or "Not eating meat means I cause way less pollution". Essentially, the concept that will pull you through isn't that you're overcoming something for yourself, it's that you're becoming "part of the solution" - and that's bigger than your day-to-day struggle.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Quote:

Hey first things off i am not a vegan or even a vegetarian for that matter but i am considering it and want to find out what it would be like
You don't have to be a crazy new-age hippie with 20 cats who worries over what everyone else is eating... I promise.

What you are craving is "comfort food." Flavors and textures that your brain has imprinted on from a very early age. You'll eventually have comfortable go-to meals for feeding yourself, and favortite dishes. Just take it one meal at a time.

Don't overwhelm yourself with too many new things at once. Stick to accidentally vegan meals, and only try something new once a week or so. Spaghetti is a good go-to meal.

When you DO really really really want some non-vegan thing, just Google it. I guarantee you that other vegans are craving the same things, and have dedicated a great deal of time in replicating it. Google: vegan cheesecake, vegan meatloaf, vegan fried chicken, vegan fried eggs. It's out there...trust me.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Quote:

Hey first things off i am not a vegan or even a vegetarian for that matter but i am considering it and want to find out what it would be like
Do it this way.
Go and find some of the recipies that are listed on the site, and ones that you can find with a simple google.
Make it a point to try some different veggie dishes. Dont worry right now about giving up the meat 100%. Do a couple nights a week veggie, if you find something that you really liked, replace a meat night with it and keep looking for more veggie things to try.
You will either discover that the change over was easy, in which case you can become a vegitarian, or you will find that you only eat meat 2 or 3 times a week instead of 7, and even though its not the perfect thing as far as the animals go, it is much better. or, you decide that its not going to work for you and nothing was lost other than a few meat meals.

The most important thing is for you to come up with your own good reason for doing it, and not let someone else try to talk you into something you dont want to do. Your choice, at your time.

Being one that went from meat 2 or 3 times a day 7 days a week to no meat at all, I have faith that if you think its right, you can do it.
If not? Im not going to give you any crap about your choice of foods.

Good luck with the experiment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.