VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I just made a huge decision to go ahead with the vegetarian lifestyle. It's a great decision and I love it. I know I'm young and some would say too young to make this decision but I'm happy with it. I turn 17 next week. I haven't told my mom yet but I'm sure she'd be behind me for this. I'm really nervous though. She has 8 people to feed and I really don't want to be a burden on her with my diet. One day I want to go full vegan. The more research I do on the subject, the more I want to do it. I won't go vegan for a while because I don't want to put so much stress on me and my family. I'll eat as vegan as I can though. It's all a process and I'm excited. I tried being vegetarian a few years ago but I was young and didn't really know why I was doing it. Now I do and I have done my research. I'm excited to meet people with a like mindset who can support me and help me through this. I can't wait to meet you all!!!
Cheers, Johanna

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice to "meet" you too!

Hello Johanna, congratulations on going vegetarian! I know lots of people who became a vegetarian when they were 14 or even younger (like 8 or 9 years old) so I know that it can work out.

I was still living with my mother when I first went veg and I actually started shopping for and cooking my own food to make it easier for her. I think that's one of the main reasons she's still so accepting of my (now vegan) lifestyle nearly 9 years later.

Hope that that helps you out and if you have any questions definitely feel free to ask!

Best,
Tabitha

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Hi Johanna and welcome! :hi:

It's never too early to go vegetarian! :) I believe we have one member here for sure who was born and raised vegetarian and has never eaten meat. We even have a teen subforum here if you scroll down the forums a bit.

I went vegan from omnivore but much older...38...so I don't have any personal experience with transitioning as a teenager. I think it is fantastic that you are doing this now as a young person! You are way ahead of most people with your thoughtfulness and world concerns. I applaud teens for making any effort they can! So great to have you here!

·
Lifelong vegetarian
2,617 Posts
:hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi:

W e l c o m e

:hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi:
-
-
-
-
-
-

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Welcome! I agree with Tabithashabitat- if you're concerned about making extra work for your Mom (and that's definitely something to think about), try learning some simple but tasty and nutritious recipes and making them. Your food won't even necessarily be more expensive than what the rest of your family is eating, although vegan and vegetarian convenience foods can be expensive. (But actually, convenience foods in general can be expensive- have you noticed how much breakfast cereals cost per pound these days??!!)

Sometimes it will be simple. For example, when my family was having spaghetti for dinner, I would take a few spoonsful of sauce for myself before they added meat to it.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
Hello and welcome!

I went vegetarian at age nine and never looked back. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made!

I agree with the others that you should learn some simple recipes to make yourself or share with your family. If your mom is supportive, maybe the two of you could bond by learning to cook vegetarian food together. She could serve vegetarian side dishes with the family meals and you could eat those.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Welcome! I agree with what some others said. It would definitely be good to start learning to cook and grocery-shop, if you haven't already.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts