VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some good news (to me) to report. Last week when my daughter had spring break and I had to work part of the week, she took a lunch to her 'after school' program. She enjoyed this so much (fresh fruits and veggies and a yoggurt, pbj sandwich) that she wants to take her lunch to school. I've posted about her continuing to be 'omni' while I am vegan...and that one of the main places she eats meat is at school since we only eat out about once a month. So...without any prodding, preaching or forcing the issue (by me of course), she has voluntarily decided to give up the 'school lunch'. She's even excited about it.

Anyway, that's my bit of good news. I've seen the school lunch at her school, so this makes me REALLY happy.

B

·
Registered
152 Posts
*bottles this thread in a time capsule for Rushabh to open in 8 years*

Quote:
Originally posted by Rushabh

I'll need to seek your advice 8 years from now when my first kid enters 1st grade.
That's really great. It reminds me how I should be teaching myself the art of lunch packing, cuz it was weeks ago that my BF said he'd like me to pack his lunch for work so he wouldn't have to just grab whatever junk he can find around there. But I still haven't tried it since I have no idea what veganfood he'd eat, an omni that want's to eat better, but is very picky about too many little things. eek. I should really work on it soon.

·
Registered
569 Posts
How exciting, B - I am going to keep your experience in mind as I work on changing my daughter's eating habits. What you packed in her lunch gives me an idea of what to fix for my daughter here at home, especially since she loves yogurt. If you don't mind my asking, do you give her reg. yogurt, or soy?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for not getting back to this earlier....Aarealskei...right now I give her regular. I'm thinking of trying soy yogurt again as I am seeing more variety but the ones we tried a few months ago (she tried them too) were disgusting.
So, I made a compromise and bought her dairy. I'm lucky that dairy in no way calls to me anymore...so that area in the fridge is just hers. She has string cheese and yogurt. Definitely better than what she was eating at school. And she's coming home with empty fruit and veggie boxes.

Oh...funny thing happened the other day, she was having some issues with the fact that many of the kids at school get 'junk'...she didn't say this, but I do know it is peer pressure. Jeesh, and she's only 5. She said, "Mom, why don't you ever put any JUNK in my lunch." I looked at her and smiled (stifling a laugh). I said, "Madison, you aren't junk, so I can't feed you junk. You are very special, and it takes special...healthy foods for you to grow up into a strong and healthy person." LOL, I in no way mean to imply that her friends ARE junk...just that all that junk isn't what's going to make her a healthy adult. Then I asked her if she liked the lunches I was making...and of course I know she is, because she asked specifically for those things. And she said she did like them and wanted to keep taking her lunch. I feel good that she's eating a LOT better than she was...and also that she isn't being offered frosted cake (on sale in the cafeteria!!!) on a daily basis...and the teachers wonder why those kids are SO hyper.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
bethanie you are a great mom!!!

My mom used to called me "the little rabbit" when she makes carrots----- and I could chew up 6 plain steamed carrots like a snap, and love them
. I was five

I wish more parents will quit the horrible habbit of buying junk food for their screaming kids in the supermarket, I bet farmer's kids only cry for peaches

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know freemouse. I think it's awful. Even if you look at the contents of one of those awful snack lunch things you can get...the lunchable. They have practically no nutritional value and are extremely high in fat and salt.

And you're right. Even though Madison isn't a huge veggie fan, she has always loved trying interesting fruits. There are so many beautiful, tasty fresh fruits to try (we're living just above the peach state now, I can't WAIT until the peach stands open up here this year!). What if kids grew up eating this stuff instead of all the junk they do eat.

You know, I was thinking last week about how my own tastebuds have changed since I started eating a 'whole' diet. I used to CRAVE salts, dressings, and other spices like msg (in a seasoning I used OFTEN)...a few weeks ago I inadvertently oversalted something at the table because I hadn't added any salt on the stove, and it was literally bitter to the taste. Same with dressing, now I add just a little dressing instead of using a third of the bottle (I literally used to do this). Madison's tastebuds are changing to. She will now eat sliced raw green pepper with a little dip. I can't imagine that happening a year ago...NEVER. LOL.

So I agree with your theory that we learn to love what we're exposed to. Parents think theyr'e doing their children a favor by letting them eat junk...when that is so much the opposite of the truth.

Anyway...puting away the soapbox.

B

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Bethanie,

That's so awesome! Some parents who know I'm a vegetarian will come up to me and tell me, "Hey, my daughter likes vegetables" or "My toddler won't eat meat", to which I'll usually respond, "Great! Keep up the good work, and let your child be a healthy vegetarian if s/he wants to be!" It's really kind of funny that people will just tell me these things, and I'm not at all an "evangelical" vegetarian.

Right now I'm really quite enamored with my new neighbors- the 6 year old and 4 year old twins cannot get enough fruits and vegetables! Their dad thinks it's great. These kids turn down ice cream and brownies in favor of more green peppers and cucumbers. I wish I had that kind of dedication!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
You really are an awesome mom, Bethanie. Your daughter is so lucky! I know if I was brought up in a household with healthy food and food attitudes, it would have made a huge difference in my life. Keep up the good work!

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
0 Posts
Bethanie, there is a new thing at natural food stores for kids called "The Good Lunch." It looks like Lunchables, tastes like lunchables, BUT IT ISN'T! It has organic crackers, Yves veggie "turkey" or "bologna" and soy cheese, and a package of organic cookies that I think taste even better than oreos! Try that for her lunches.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks porcelina I'll look for that.

Tonight she ate SALAD! I asked her if she wanted some salad and she said, "Yes, Mom that would be great!" I nearly passed out. Not a salad fan, that one. So she ate some of it.

I really like how this is working. I think one big thing is that we're actually growing some things now...tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers, and we're also visiting the local farmer's market together where she gets to pick things out by herself.

B

·
Registered
0 Posts
Bethanie - wonderful work! I know that my one granddaughter hates eating meat and throws a fit if anyone puts it even NEAR her veggies. I have told my son (who has custody of her part of the year) to not force the issue.

At my house, she gets her fruit, veggies, yogurt and loves string cheese. I am not making an issue out of her eating dairy - she is SO skinny and so very picky, so any food she eats is good enough for me.

I found that I love having her around - makes things SO much easier for me!

What an awesome mom you are!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts