VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have who big troughs in front of my new place approx. 4'x3'x3' (LWH) and was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what to put into them. I was thinking about putting herbs in the back and aesthetic plants in the front of them so they are functional while still appealing to visitors. I was thinking of flowers and some crawlers for the front but I don't know what kind. I know it's better to combine plants that mature in different seasons so it looks good year round but have no idea what. Any advice?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
where do you live,and what zone are you in? Annuals will grow anywhere, and your best bet would be to contact your local cooperative extension and/or garden center who can direct you. If you're in a warm enough climate, you may be able to keep perennials and bulbs in your troughs.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
plant things that are native to your area.

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
Yes, we would need to know where you live (as well as the issue of annuals versus perennials, some plants can take a good deal of heat, others can't) and how much sun the area gets.

Most herbs are pretty as well as being functional, so they don't necessarily need to go in the back. If both sides of the troughs are visible, tall plants should go in the middle. If only one side of the trough is visible, tall plants should go in the back.

These are all things we need to know before being able to give any advice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I live in northern illinois so it is pretty much dry hot summers, wet sunny springs, cold rainy fall and freezing snow/ice winters. What I wouldn't give for a constant temperature -.-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts