VeggieBoards banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrodolfox View Post

I am not a fan of cultural appropriation.

I am from Latin America, and I think it is great that people who have Scottish roots wear kilts. However, I do think it is a bit strange for people who aren't Scottish to wear kilts.

It just reminds me of when those Bolivian/Inca style hats came into vogue (those hats that cover the ears) after a RHCP's "Under The Bridge" video came out. All these people who knew nothing of Andean Culure were appripriating the "look" to be stylish.

I think that kilts are ver nice looking on many men. I just feel a bit of trepidation when taking clothes from other cultures and appropriating them.

I don't think that this kilt trend is part of cultural appropriation. However, it goes too close for me to feel comfortable wearing a kilt. They do, however, look comfortable, and seem to be rather flattering.
my husband is half scottish, but besides that, i disagree that wearing a utilikilt is akin cultural appropriation or cooption. it would be one thing if my husband was wearing the tradtional tartan patter or colours of a particular clan from scotland that he didn't belong to, or taking bits and pieces from their traditional rituals or celebrations. but he's not. this particular item of clothing has no cultural history in scotland or anywhere else because aside from the fact that it is a skirt, it has nothing in common with the traditional customs surrounding kilts and tartans of that culture.

i completely agree that cultural appropriation is problematic, but i don't see it being relevant in this case. i know you qualified your statements at the end of your post by saying you don't believe the utilikilt actually IS cultural appropriation but then you contradict yourself by saying you wouldn't wear one because it's "too close" to c.a. for you to feel comfortable. personally i think you're missing out.

also, i don't really see the harm in people adapting or borrowing certain "looks" from other cultures unless there is some kind of real religious or cultural signifigance to them. but i think that some things especially certain items of clothing that have practical applications in certain kinds of climates don't really qualify as "cultural appropriation". i think that trying different things and wearing different things that are beautiful or flattering or functional makes sense. i think that cultural isolationism can be just as harmful and prejudiced as cultural appropriation.

can you tell me what signifigance the hats you refer to have in andean culture?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,887 Posts
xrodolfox- I can see how some forms of cultural appropriation can be forms of misappropriation, but I do personally believe that we all have a lot to gain from exploring and borrowing from other people's cultures. Humans have been doing this since the dawn of time. The dispersion of ideas, technology, fashion and people have allowed us to experience more than we would be able to on our own. I also believe it promotes healthy cultural interaction, as long as people are careful to appropriate in respectful ways.

I'm Irish, and I love when I see people who are not Irish incorporating celtic designs, traditions and rituals into thier lives.

It's about Sharing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,791 Posts
I think "cultural appropriation" is not a problem, unless someone makes it one. I don't see many people claiming to be something they are not. More than not I see people sharing what they perceive to be positive about other cultures. It is inevitable and harmless at the worst and beneficial at best. Maybe I am missing something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrodolfox View Post

I am not a fan of cultural appropriation.

I am from Latin America, and I think it is great that people who have Scottish roots wear kilts. However, I do think it is a bit strange for people who aren't Scottish to wear kilts.

It just reminds me of when those Bolivian/Inca style hats came into vogue (those hats that cover the ears) after a RHCP's "Under The Bridge" video came out. All these people who knew nothing of Andean Culure were appripriating the "look" to be stylish.

I think that kilts are ver nice looking on many men. I just feel a bit of trepidation when taking clothes from other cultures and appropriating them.

I don't think that this kilt trend is part of cultural appropriation. However, it goes too close for me to feel comfortable wearing a kilt. They do, however, look comfortable, and seem to be rather flattering.
I sort of agree. Like what if Turbans were the in thing? I would expect a member of the Sikh religion to be discontent with someone wearing a Turban, while not knowing anything about it's meaning. However, like you said, this utility kilt trend is not part of cultural appropriation. It's not a traditional kilt. Also, it narrows the gap between traditional gender norms. Men should be able to wear skirts too!

I personally think the trend is retarded and would laugh (to myself) if I saw someone wearing one of these. But, if that's what they like, then so be it.

I should look into desiging some utility Turbans, come to think of it. It could have slots for your hammers, measuring tape, and a cell phone! I'll get Ewan MacGregor to wear one at the Oscars next year, i'll make a mint!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by newstars View Post

I personally think the trend is retarded and would laugh (to myself) if I saw someone wearing one of these. But, if that's what they like, then so be it.
if you saw the type of tough guys that were buying and wearing the utilikilts in and around seattle while i was there, you'd better keep your laughing to yourself. they all looked like hell's angels to me. seriously.

i think that it takes a certain amount of self-confidence for a guy to put on something that leaves him open to mockery and immature snickering.

ftr, my husband says the kilt is more comfortable than any pair of pants he's ever worn. he's really looking forward to his vacation when he can abandon his work uniform for a few weeks and wear the kilt whenever he wants.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

i think that it takes a certain amount of self-confidence for a guy to put on something that leaves him open to mockery and immature snickering.
Oh I agree. I grew a Mullet for a 1 and a half a few years ago, fully aware of how funny they were. It was the funniest thing i've ever done, but ya, it was nasty looking. And I was subject to so much snickering and jokes. I even dressed the part sometimes. The joke was one them though.


THAT takes self-confidence.


But ya, I don't find kilts on men funny because they're "skirts". I just think they're dumb looking. It would be immature to laugh out loud and make fun of some guy you don't know to their face, just because they're wearing a kilt, but i'm sure we all laugh at things (not openly) that people wear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
so what kind of cut should a manskirt have in order for it to not look dumb to you?

would you wear a sequined mini?

or an a-line?

or maybe an ankle length dark blue velvet number with marabou edges?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newstars View Post

I personally think the trend is retarded and would laugh (to myself) if I saw someone wearing one of these.
Please dont use the "retarded" word. I work with Down folks. Its a word thats not even in use now, in fact the school system I worked for in MI could terminate you for using it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

so what kind of cut should a manskirt have in order for it to not look dumb to you?

would you wear a sequined mini?

or an a-line?

or maybe an ankle length dark blue velvet number with marabou edges?
Haha, i'm not sure. I guess i'm too conditioned by society's traditional gender roles. I would have to say that I'm not man enough to wear a real skirt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
There are some things in life that just shouldnt be trifled with...polar ice caps, earths orbit, Don Kings hair, and bd wearing a kilt.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
559 Posts
you have to be a certain kinda guy to pull the skirt thing off, but if you can, ohhhh yeah.

hippie wrap around skirts on guys work as well
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
559 Posts
hm, i agree with xrodolfox to an extent though.

it is pretty lame when everything is in the name of the in fashion whatnot crap a lot, like thos what are they called, mucklock (??) bookts are something that i think maybe Inuit initally?

i'm tired.
 
61 - 77 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top