VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 18, but I have a nephew who is sixteen. We went out to eat and when the waitress approached us she asked "What do you two lovebirds want."

I kinda gagged and without thinking a said in a voice that was not yelling(but not exactly an inside voice) that "He's my nephew not my boyfriend!" Her eyes bulged at this and we ended up getting a few looks from the other tables.

Here's some background on my family, women on both my parent's sides have unusually long fertility times and both my grandmothers had children in their 40's completely naturally and my mother had me at 42, unplanned. Because of this we have very unusual age differences in our families. My father also had an uncle who was two years older than him.

To make it even funnier my nephew looks like he's in his early 20's, while I am often mistaken for 14 or 15. I was really embarrassed when it happened, but now I just think it's funny.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
People can be so thoughtless. Maybe you should have a T-shirt made up that says "he's my nephew, not my boyfriend" and wear it when you go out to eat with him.

·
Registered
580 Posts
My dad has nieces and nephews older than him. He was #12 of 13 and his oldest sisters were having babies before he was born.

Assumptions are annoying, but there really was no way the waitress could have known. A male and a female of approximately the same age out to dinner WOULD look like a couple. I think a little more patience in this situation is called for. A simple "oh, we're actually related, not dating" would suffice.

·
Banned
841 Posts
LOL! There's a 6 year age difference between me and my twin nieces, a 12 year difference between me and my youngest niece, and a 14 year difference between me and my nephew. People are usually very shocked when the twins introduce me as their aunt, especially if we're out drinking.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
A pretty damn uncomfortable situation, was when my Sister was getting married and since her boyfriend worked downtown, he was going to meet us at the courthouse. Main reason for me going along was to take some photos. So, my Sister and I get there and there's a long line and we figured we better get in line right away. Her boyfriend took a good 20 minutes or so to arrive. My Sister is 12 years older than me, and I was 18 at the time. My Sister couldn't help saying : "people are going to think I'm robbing the cradle ! " out loud.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Haha! Age gaps can be funny, I have counsins the younger than my boyfriends neices and nephews! It's not unusual to have newphews that are of similar age for plenty of reasons, I understand your reaction - it sounds like a knee-jerk "ew! no!" kind of thing. I can see why she'd assume you were boyfriend and girlfriend, although if you were - and you were on a first date of something - I'm not sure I'd like to be called "lovebirds" anyway, seems kind of patronising!

I used to have a friend who at about 14 had a little sister who was just born, and when she took her to town or whatever people would tut at her! In your instance it was an innocent mistake but to be so rude to someone based on an assumption like that, I thought was so awful! Infact even if she was 14 with a baby, people tutting at her in the street wouldn't really be an acceptable way to behave anyway.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

I used to have a friend who at about 14 had a little sister who was just born, and when she took her to town or whatever people would tut at her! In your instance it was an innocent mistake but to be so rude to someone based on an assumption like that, I thought was so awful! Infact even if she was 14 with a baby, people tutting at her in the street wouldn't really be an acceptable way to behave anyway.
I have gotten this!!! I was 15-16 when my brother and sister were born and whenever I would go to the store or anywhere in public with them I constantly got dirty looks and rude comments for people assuming I was a "teenage mom". It was awful
. People were beyond rude to me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I have gotten this!!! I was 15-16 when my brother and sister were born and whenever I would go to the store or anywhere in public with them I constantly got dirty looks and rude comments for people assuming I was a "teenage mom". It was awful
. People were beyond rude to me.
Oh my goodness! I feel so bad for you two. I would never even treat someone who I knew was teenage mom like that.

*Hugs*

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Strangers assume all kinds of things about two people sitting together. I have had dinner with a few of my single (male) friends and have been looked upon as if we were a gay couple. I have also been out with my niece and I'm sure some may have thought I was her boyfriend. No one ever directly said anything like "love birds", but sometimes I think that was what they were thinking. I don't care. It's none of their business and if that's what pops up in their minds, then that's their assumptions. I don't have to explain why I'm hanging out with someone else. But I guess being called love birds is stepping a bit over the lines. Rack it up to something you guys can laugh about in the future.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Pain in the butt. My oldest nephew is like 8-9 years yonger then me and my sisters are 16-18 years older. One sister was always thought to be my mom when she went out with me as a baby. I also get worried that my nephew's friends will hit on my and they have.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna_m View Post

Assumptions are annoying, but there really was no way the waitress could have known. A male and a female of approximately the same age out to dinner WOULD look like a couple.
Why does it have to look like a couple? They could've just been friends or even brother and sister. Unless they were holding hands, kissing or doing something else that made it obvious that they were a couple, it's weird for a waitress to walk up to her customers and start calling them "lovebirds" with no prior knowledge of their relationship to each other.

·
Banned
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Why does it have to look like a couple? They could've just been friends or even brother and sister. Unless they were holding hands, kissing or doing something else that made it obvious that they were a couple, it's weird for a waitress to walk up to her customers and start calling them "lovebirds" with no prior knowledge of their relationship to each other.
Seriously! Although one experience I've had often, which bugs me more than anything, is with a particular gay friend of mine. I live in Georgia, which is still very racist, he's black and I'm white, and interracial relationships here are still very much frowned upon by most, even to this day. We've gotten a lot of dirty looks and comments when we've been hanging out in public by people assuming we're a couple, people usually don't believe us if we mention that we're just friends, and of course we're not going to mention his sexual orientation to just anyone, as here, that carries a major threat of violence towards him.

Whether it's this friend or anyone else though, it makes me mad when people assume.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
A number of years ago my girlfriend and I were on the first floor of her condo. She had called in a painter to do some work. We were talking for a while, and then my GF stepped outside. The painter then turned to me and asked some question about the job, like "Will your mother want (this kind of paint or that kind of paint)?"

I had to explain that she was not my mother but my GF.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts