VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Dennis is 16 months old. From the very beginning he has had a lot of energy and has always tried to get away with doing whatever he wants. I have watched other little kids (I see lots of them everyday) the same age or very close to it just stop when their parents tell them to. That or they are just calm kids in general. Dennis has this mountain of energy and wants things his way. It's that simple. No, I don't give into him when I tell him no. I'm trying to teach him he can't have everything he wants. I'm just tired and frustrated waiting for it to seem like he actually understands me. I can tell that he is really trying to test my boundaries now. Ugh, I'm just tired. Anyone else?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've got the same in 2 boys 3 and 4. They are non stop all day long. I hate to break it to you, but they never stop testing you. Just don't take it personally. If he startes a major temper tantrum, and he dosen't stop after a couple of mins, I give 1 or 2 warnings, then it's time out for 2 to 3 mins. Time out works very well. They have to know that you are not going to backdown when you say NO. My kids will nag me about something for a couple of mins about something, and when they see that I won't back down they simply give up. Don't get into arguments with him, he will think he's won. Also the 1, 2, 3 Magic system works very well too. If he want's something and you say NO, and he start's an argument with you say "that's 1". If after a couple of seconds he continues to argue his point say "that's 2". Wait a couple of seconds, and if continues to try to argue with you say "that's 3", and give him a time out. Simply put him in time out, and don't get into an argument over the time out. It shuts down the argument, and save's you alot of frustration and aggravation. If you decide to use this method it will take a couple of week's for it to really work, but once it does it will save you alot of frustation. Don't give up, and never give in, as once you do he's in control, not you. Kids will argue the point to death if it means that they might get you to change your mind. They never stop testing the boundaries you give them. Good luck, and I wish you the best.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I appreciate that. I definitely plan on using that, we're just not to that age yet. Like every kid is different, I just know with him at this point using a time out won't work simply because he won't understand why he's there. I don't think he'd make that connection right now, and yeah right like I'd be able to get him to stay there. I can't get him to sit still for five minutes...so church is more than difficult. He won't even let me change his diaper without seriously having to wrestle him.

Today he has just really worn me out and my back hurts so I'm kinda down.

·
Registered
113 Posts
What I do is put the child in the room, not in a chair or a corner. Some people would say that it's defeating the point, but it's also effective. Even trying to get either of my boys to sit in a chair at their ages for a time out, would be world war 3. They are too active to be asked to sit for 3 to 5 mins. They know that when I put them in their bedroom for timeout they know that they've done something wrong. They still play in their bedroom alot, despite using it for timeouts on occasion. My best advice is to stay consistant. The second you are not is the time where the kids are in control, and you have to start from scratch again. I don't backdown from what I say unless I decide that the request is reasonable and fair. Nobody is perfect. Their are so many parenting books out there in the marketplace these days, that it almost makes people question whether they are good parents. There is no golden rule to parenting, and what is right for one person may not be for another. All you can do is be consistant and fair, and give the child lot's of love and affection. If you can do this then goal as a parent has been achieved. There is one more rule to the 1,2,3 Magic I forgot to mention. If your child hits, kicks, or bites people, is cruel to household pets it's an automatic "3" and timeout. Do not tolerate this. If you let these types of behaviours continue you are going to have major problems when he reaches preschool age. And it's best to squash these types of behaviour early, so they don't become a problem later on.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I totally agree with the hitting and whatever other violent behavior. I won't tolerate that.

Because it's all been in the same day today and it's just been a crappy day....so sad for Dennis. He managed to get his hand stuck in the door (the part it hinges on) and I was totally freaking out. He kept crying and I was trying to figure out if he broke any of his fingers! Man, it was just horrible. I'm all rushing around trying to figure out what will help him calm down. We finally ended up with him playing with his hand under the cold faucet. I seriously thought he broke at least one finger. When he cries like that it just breaks my heart...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.