VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever seen those poor little hermit crabs at the mall with tackily decorated shells crawling around with no water to swim in while they wait for some annoying kid to come pick them up and kill them?

commence Operation FREE THE CRABS!!!!!!

i'm leaving to go to daytona beach in 1 week and 4 days and my best friend (VeganChick15) and i have always wanted to set all those crabs free and nows our chance!!! this weekend (hopefully) we're going to go to our mall and buy as many crabs as we can and take the stupid stuff off their shells. then im going to take them to daytona beach with me and set them free in the ocean!!!! yay!!!!

tell me wat u think or if there are any catches in this plan that i in my excitement have forgotten to take care of

·
Registered
151 Posts
hehehe i love the plan!!!! but im worried about all the ones we wont be able to buy!! its like we would be deciding who got to live or die almost( cause living in that stupid cage there whole life would almost be like death and i'm sure those panits cant be good). and even if they got bought it would be like living in the wild. or would they even survive in the wild. but i still want to help themreally i do!! i just don't know if it would work

·
Registered
820 Posts
We have a similar kiosk at the mall in Boise that sells them. It makes me cy every time I have to walk past.

The thing is, if you buy them all and set them free, isn't that just allowing the vendor to turn a profit, that he will in turn use to purchase even more crabs?

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Please don't put the hermit crabs in the ocean! They are terrestrial crabs, not aquatic!

There's a reason those stores don't keep them in aquariums. You *might* not drown them, depending on how deep it is, but they will be much happier and safer if you release them on the beach.

(edited to add this) Oh, and *please* do some research before you try this. Only release them where hermit crabs live naturally. If you let them go in a habitat that they don't belong in, they could a) die of starvation or exposure, or b) wreck havoc on local wildlife that is not used to having such a predator around. Use your brain before you try this stunt, please!

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I found a page on hermit crabs just now, and it says that the hermit crabs sold in the US are from the Carribbean, or from Ecuador, and normally live in trees. It also says that it causes them great stress to be immersed in water. The author went so far as to say that being dipped in water is terrifying to them. So unless you can take the crabs to their native Ecuador or Carribbean islands, and let them go in a safe area in the trees, I strongly suggest you don't try this.

·
Registered
151 Posts
ok we probably wont try this. please dont think were crazy. all we really want is to help the animals and its so sad when you see the poor crabs in those cages. i guess we'll have to think of another plan.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by VeganChick15

ok we probably wont try this. please dont think were crazy. all we really want is to help the animals and its so sad when you see the poor crabs in those cages. i guess we'll have to think of another plan.
I don't think you're crazy at all. I think your heart is in the right place.

Maybe you could educate people about hermit crabs. One of the sites I was just reading says that they can live 25-30 years in the wild, but in captivity, only about a year. It's terribly sad. People don't know how to keep them healthy.

This is one of the sites I found: http://www.hermit-crabs.com/index.html

I had a couple of them when I was a kid. I took care of them as best I could, but looking at this information, I wasn't doing the right things. The internet didn't exist then, and I couldn't find any useful information from my library. But now that these resources exist, people who want to keep them as pets can at least take care of them properly. Or maybe even decide not to keep them (I don't like the idea of keeping any wild animals as pets). Maybe you could put people in touch with the information they need.

Just a suggestion...

Sorry to come down like a ton of bricks... I was just worried about the poor crabbies! I know your impulse was good, though.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I also hate the carts in malls that have the "water babies" or similar theme with the betta fish or the frogs in a three inch by three inch little cup of water with a plant and some rocks in it. It always makes me so sad when I see it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Wow - I just read that whole site. What a great site for information. I really respect hermit crabs a lot more. They're fascinating, and so is the woman who has all of this knowlege.

Cool.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EquiPro

Wow - I just read that whole site. What a great site for information. I really respect hermit crabs a lot more. They're fascinating, and so is the woman who has all of this knowlege.

Cool.
I really wish that information had been available to me as a kid. I'm sure my poor hermies didn't have adequate humidity, and I didn't know I shouldn't give them tap water. They only lived a year and half or so. I didn't know any better.

R.I.P Orville, Wilbur, and Hawkeye

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
okay no saving the crabs till the caribbean or ecuador...wow thats a good site. i never knew people cared so much about hermit crabs!!!

·
Banned
261 Posts
I have hermit crabs--21 of them. I do know a good bit about them, unlike most people who have them as pets, I've taken the time to research a proper living space for them when you keep them as pets. I don't agree with keeping them in captivity--after all, they don't even breed in captivity so people take them from the wild to make a profit, but I still find myself shelling out money for them because I would rather me end up with them than some snot-nosed 6 year old who sticks them in a tiny plastic cage alone, letting them die in a month. I have a really large aquarium...hmm I forget how many gallons, it's like 4 feet long, filed with lots of sand and toys. I would upload the picture if I had my digital. I go to Daytona Beach for vacation, too, and I've been known to stand at the places they sell them for hours and educate little kids who want to buy them. I've often considered setting them free (they DO live in Florida, not just Ecuador, Carribean or Australia...these are just different species, Ecuadorians are the most different and also most lively, Australians tend to be the "red" guys, and Carribean and Florida's are usually "Purple pincers"), but I've thought about it and realized that these little guys may have contracted some disease in captivity, and I wouldn't want to spread it to free, native hermit crabs and wipe out a population! this is why I have never done this. I think the best thing to do is, if you're willing to invest a lot of time and money into it, buy a huge tank and lots of "toys" and sand, set up your own crabitat, and "rescue" crabs from the local pet store, while making sure you leaflet, educate, and call the stores. Ever since I started doing this at the local Superpetz there's been drastic changes in their policies and the way they take care of hermit crabs. Sometimes the places that sell hermit crabs can hae the worst conditions...way too many in a small cage, no substrate, food, water, or sponge, dead ones left lying in the cage, oh it's awful. If FMR (Florida Marine Research) is their hermit crabs and supplies provider, you can call them directly and complain. they tend to care about the welfare of the crabs, and they'll call the store manager and talk to them about your complaints. Also, if you ever have crab "emergencies", you can call FMR and they will help you as well. Aside from the fact that they put wild animals into captivity, they're a good organization. They understand hermit crabs have lots of needs--mainly, companions--hermit crabs are incredibly social beings and have actually been known to die of lonliness, lots of shell choices, fresh, pure water and a natural sea sponge, good, fresh food, lots of stuf to climb on, companions, and they reccommen occasional baths (no, crabs are typically not terrified of being submerged in water--many enjoy a warm bath with some aquarium stress coat, it helps to re-moisten their gills and body, clean out their shells, and it reminds them of the ocean. Sometimes if you leave a somewhat deep pond in the tank they'll go walking around in it), humidity and temperature requirements, substrate depth and preference, isolation and calcium needs for when they're molting, etc).

So, basically, it might not be the best idea to let the little guys go wild, anywhere. Sad but true, they're in captivity for good. I've known people who've taken the time to put care into their crabbies and last I checked a woman has had one of them for 25 years and he's still going strong (one of hers died around the 25th year
) Hermit crabs, if I remember correctly, can become INCREDIBLY old in the wild--up to 100 years, I do think...

Well, if anyone wants more information on hermit crabs, I belong to a group of fans and guardians of the little guys, a great support and help group-- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hermies . I'm petty much a lurker there but..I am a member! It's a great group, so, if you have any further interest, check it out. (edited to say) And, by the way, Christa Wilkin, the author of that site--www.hermit-crabs.com ---she belongs to this group too.

Cassie

·
Banned
261 Posts
Oh yeah and if anyone's interested I made up a really extensive care sheet a bit back that has all the things you need to know about hermit crab care on it, so if anyone planned to stand around at stores and give out information I have those if anyone wants them..I can email them to you.

Cassie

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Wow, thanks vegancherrypie! That was amazingly informative, and must have taken a good while to write. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. It's good to know that hermit crabs have such friends!

·
Banned
261 Posts
Hermit crabs have got to be some of the most abused and misunderstood animals out there. I just really feel for them because they each have their own personalities, and they can be so friendly and cute, with their little beady eyes and excitedly waving antennae, but people don't care about them enough to learn this. It's a shame that since people haven't learned about them they are mistreated, a lot like the deal with the goldfish you get at a carnival...so, whatever I can do to help people learn about them I will...

Cassie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts