VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we should all take ads out in our local newspaper offering to cook a vegan dinner for any family that is interested. Most people just dont know how to do it. I did a demonstration in speech class today on how to marinate Tofu and most of my classmates wanted to go home and try it, and they are all meat-eaters!!! WooHooo Woo Hoo!!!!

We could take ads out and go with a friend for safety., do the cooking for free and just require that the family buy the groceries.

If anyone thinks this could actually work or has any more ideas, please let me know.

I want to change the world!!

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
This is a really great idea!! I wish someone from this board who was interested lived near me so we could do it together.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Wuuurrrrhhhooo!!!!!!! thats a very direct approach, and yes taking a friend for safety if you're a woman would be sensible.

[EDIT: Sensible~ Period: according to vegancherrypie
] You never know cooking Tofu might cause people super-delectation and sensory over-ride!!!
WOooOoH00oO00Ooo00 Lets make

"Tofu-heads" out of our entire neighbourhood, district, village, town, everywhere!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right on!! Tofu colonies will be springing up all over America, England, Austria!! We will hippify the world with our nutritious delicious ways.

·
Banned
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by VegAnaconda

and yes taking a friend for safety if you're a woman would be sensible.
Hey! Lots of woman can kick ass better than a scrawny male, and there are many of those, and males can be assulted as well, even if it isn't necessarily as common. Better wording next time--don't make such large generalizations! How about "taking a friend for safety is a good idea PERIOD"?

Anyways, I think this is a great idea. I'd do it, I don't know anyone in my area though (central PA), and being a 16 year old female I think I'd definitely want to have someone else around for safety.

Cassie

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay guys, just a little note, if anyone does do this, even though you may be efficient at "ass-kicking", please PLEASE get some backround info on the people, like a drivers liscence, picture and let someone know where you are going to be and with whom. I have seen some wierdness in my life and would hate for anyone to be kidnapped over one of my ideas. So if you are going to actually do this, do it the safe way.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I'm actually going to be doing this, although it's for my mom. She's going to be living on the same street as me, and because of her busy scheduele, I'll be making vegan dinners for her every night (along with muffins, cookies, ect). She'll be paying me, and I might even "cater" for her when she has her dinner parties and friends over.

I would cook for other people too, but not in their house, too many things to bring, I like to use "vegan" cookware (no meat having been cooked in them) and storage space.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Punkmommy

Thats really cool that you're doing this, and getting paid tboot!

I think the idea about having the people actually buy the groceries and then show them how to prepare it is good because they will have the groceries in their house afterwards and know what to do with them.

About using their cookware; I understand not wanting to cook in pans that have been used to cook dead animals, but for this type of thing, I think it would be ok, since you would be showing people how to cook with their own utensils. If the person was required to go out and buy all new cooking gear before even really getting into it, i think they would be less apt to try it. The easier you make it seem, the more people I think would try it..

Think of this as a kind of a Vegan outreach program to educate your community, thats why I like the idea of the ad in the paper because lots of people who would never consider this might; especially if you volunteered to do it for free!!

Maybe those people might actually go out and do the same thing for other people and a snowball effect would take place.

I would want to make it easy for people of all income levels, and a low income family may not have the resources to buy new pots and pans.

I did a survey about Veganism, and my findings revealed that alot of people claimed they would try veganism if it wasnt so expensive and knew what to eat. I would want to eliminate the myth that vegan diets are really expensive and teach people that a vegan diet can be abundant in available foods and cost effective.

If anyone else has any ideas to add to this thread I would love to hear them

·
Banned
261 Posts
I don't think a family of really ANY income would want to go out and buy new pans simply for someone to come in and demonstrate vegan cooking. I think this is a really good idea, so I wouldn't mind going into someone's house and using their nasty pans if it meant they'd be more open to vegan cooking and maybe even start doing some theirselves.

Cassie

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd like to set something up to hook people in the same locations up, if you guys want to email me your locations and such and ill try to do some matching up, im at [email protected]. Please dont send me any photos of your naked veggie buts or your sister getting dressed, i get enough junk mail!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What about the vegan restaurants? I mean, of course, it varies with location, but if you have a vegan restaurant near you (WooHoo life and light, Newton MA) then you could just order from there. You'd be surprised, there are vegan/vegetarian restaurants in almost every major city. The best resource for finding a veg*n restaurant in your area is www.happycow.net, roxors. But the vegan cookerie thing is a good idea if you don't have a veg*n restaurant close by.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
ummm.... Would any of you really invite a stranger into your house to have them cook dinner for you?!?!

it's a nice thought, but I can't see anyone actually doing this for someone they don't know. there'd be no way in heck I'd respond to an ad like that! you wouldn't know what kind of person you're inviting into your house, or what ulterier motives they may really have, or what they would do to you. and if someone took you up on the offer, you wouldn't know what kind of house your going into, or what ulterier motivers they have for inviting you over, or what they would do to you either. it's a nice idea, but I couldn't see this happening.

some alternative ideas... bring vegan dishes to your church potluck. bring vegan dishes to your local homeless shelter. offer to take care of the whole meal at the homeless shelter, and maybe even hold an information class afterwards. something public anyways.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i think it will work if you're selective about the ads. For instance, we have a vegetarian newletter in our area (for veggies, vegans, etc)--and that would be a place for it, because it is a freebie available at libraries and such. . .and non veggies and people interested in vegetarianism pick it up. Also, we have a yoga magazine in our area (also free to the public)--so it would probably go well there.

your church bullitin or a similar club newsletter--school newspaper and so on are also great ideas!

So, be selective, and you're likely to get more responses.

Also, don't just leave them hanging. You'll need to provide materials for them. For instance, if you make a vegan meal, bring copies of the recipes that you used. Put together a book of recipes and meals, and then offer to sell it to them for a small cost (like printing cost). That gives them a bit of a basis--a reason t continue and try new things!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I'm not too sure people would let me into their house- some people are put off by tattoos. I think it would be cool to go shopping with someone, and show them what to buy that is affordable and healthy. After the shopping trip, give them a cooking lesson, focusing on one area, like dinner. Then maybe have a follow-up lesson on vegan desserts and baking.

Maybe putting up an ad in your local HFS would help too. There are many people who would love to eat better, but don't have the knowledge or the time. I did this with babysitting. As an at-home mom, I babysat for veggie/vegan kids and cooked for them, ect. so their mom's knew they were eating well and having fun!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
How about holding a vegan dinner in a community space of some kind, making it free or cheap (e.g. $5), holding other events of interest to draw attention (such as kids' activities) -- and stacking recipe cards next to every dish for people to take home.

For that matter, anytime you are invited to a community potluck of any sort, have free recipe cards on hand to pass out so they can go home and make the delicious new treat they just tasted.

I've gotta say I'm with Kpickell; no way I would invite a stranger into my home to cook. Even if they did have good references.

Also, bit of an aside, but I don't think it's necessarily a great idea to start omnis out on food they probably find really weird, such as tofu. (Heck, I'm not broken in on tofu yet!) I delight the omnis all the time with food that has recognizable (for them) ingredients -- just in combinations they haven't thought of before.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts