1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I skimmed over the important parts that jumped out at me. It's quite lengthy. The guy seems to know what he's talking about and I like how he drives the point home repeatedly that vegans should be taking our B12. That's a critical statement that needs to be heard by more vegans, because there's a lot of pseudo science and downright lies that lead people to believe supplementation is not needed.

I'd supplement the article you posted with these two shorter and easier to read ones in case someone is pressed for time:

What every vegan should know about B12

Vitamin B12 supplements - how much is enough?

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I think I'd rather supplement than eat my feces!!!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

I think I'd rather supplement than eat my feces!!!
yeah, you think????? ewww.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
That was the first time that I had read that we actually produce B-12 in our lower intestine. It was a very interesting article - thanks for posting.

Low energy from a B-12 deficiency is no fun. It not just being tired, it's feeling all heavy and emotionally dull - at least in my experience.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Yeah I neglected B12 for the first little while I was vegan but thankfully I came across good, science based arguments for B12 fairly early on and prevented any permanent damage.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I happened to see an article on calorielab this morning that basically said vegans are at risk for heart attacks etc and its based on a "review of articles published over the past 30 years".

It suggested we eat eggs, salmon, fortified milk, etc for our b12 and omega 3 fatty acids...

I am unsure where to get vegan salmon....

here is the stupid article if anyone is interested:
http://calorielab.com/labnotes/20110...m_medium=email

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Such beliefs are based on the flawed conception that nutrients like B12 and Omega 3 are exclusively derived from animal ingredients. Some doctors actually make it through 15 years of medical school and believe such drivel.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Such beliefs are based on the flawed conception that nutrients like B12 and Omega 3 are exclusively derived from animal ingredients. Some doctors actually make it through 15 years of medical school and believe such drivel.
My previous doctor was one of those. He was always telling me that one day I would realize that I was killing myself with my silly fad diet, but by then it would be too late and I'd die and all because of my misguided belief that I shouldn't eat animals.

Needless to say he is no longer my doctor.

I was surprised though, since he was young, I guess I would have expected it more out of an older doctor that maybe didn't keep up on nutrition.

I do try to make sure I get enough of all the vitamins etc that I need and I do understand the importance of them. I am sure there are days when my diet is lacking, but I think most of us are aware of what we need or where to find the information on what we need.

I guess I just assumed doctors would also know where to get the information.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
M.D.s are required to take fewer than 40 hours of clinical nutrition during the course of their education, and those classes are heavily tainted by the lobbying groups of the Dairy, Egg and Meat councils. (Who are ironically also co-chaired by some members of Big Tobacco, which lets you know what this really boils down to and it ain't health. It just might be the Benjamims.)

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Less than 40 hours is nothing! That is very very sad.

I always think about some of the diseases that friends and family have had to deal with and it makes me wonder if some of them could have been prevented or at least had the effects lessened with a better diet....one that wasn't so heavily dependent on meat & dairy products.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirrlup View Post

Less than 40 hours is nothing! That is very very sad.

I always think about some of the diseases that friends and family have had to deal with and it makes me wonder if some of them could have been prevented or at least had the effects lessened with a better diet....one that wasn't so heavily dependent on meat & dairy products.
Maybe they could be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPJbYAYzP04

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Maybe they could be
I had never seen that before. That is awesome. Now I need to check out the website. Thank you!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I include B12 in my diet and I think health-conscious vegans ought to do the same. I get my B12 from fortified foods and/or supplements. I have found that for my family, encouraging the consumption of fortified foods is the easiest, simplest way to ensure that they receive adequate amounts of B12 and other nutrients without any fuss.

However, I don't like being told what I *must* or *should* do with my body. I don't like the current scare-tactics of some vegan advocates who act like you're going to fall over and die tomorrow if you don't take B12 every single day. That's just not going to happen. It's not going to happen from lack of B12 or lack of omega3s or even lack of vitamin D.

And I actually think that being an alarmist about these issues doesn't help many people because you tend to simply "preach to the choir" and/or annoy people. I know I hated being nagged to take my B12 when I first went vegan because the person nagging me made it clear he did not think I had a big enough brain to do my own research and come to my own conclusions about things. The nagging made me disinterested in him and in participating in other vegan activities.

Nagging about B12 certainly doesn't help any animals, either.

Instead, I prefer a more calm approach wherein I inform people that an adequate vegan diet should include B12 supplementation, but that's just one of many issues we discuss and I certainly do not nag them to take their B12. They can take the nutritional information I offer and do what they want with it.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Thanks for the article. I sometimes have been lax about my B12 supplementation because I simply forget to take it. I'm going to put the bottle of tablets in a more visible place so that I make taking it more of a habit.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Ok, I am being nosey here, but, for those of you that take B12 supplements, do you take pills, liquid drops or sprays? There are so many different kinds now.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
last week i met a doctor on the adkins diet. some have cautioned me on being vegan. it's amazing how little some of them actually know about nutrition.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts