VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else buy a copy? I did after punkmommy posted about it.I got my issue yesterday. I am dissapointed in it. I found all the cussing silly (I cuss, yes but not every othe word) and the condom review was tasteless. I know the writer could have been joking about beng drunk and high but still...

What are your opinions on the magazine?

My favorite vegan magazine has to be Veg Times. I also like VRG but it is harder to find and I don't cook much so it is not all worth while for me.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Personally, I loved the Herbivore issue. My reason is because it's geared more towards things that I'm interested in, it wasn't serious like most other veg publications (I like serious stuff too, of course, just not all the time) and I didn't mind the cussing because that's pretty much how I talk with my friends.

I can certainly see how it wouldn't appeal to everyone, though.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am all for fun and games but I thought it came off trashy. Plus the products reviewed were pretty bland for a magazine trying to reach out to n alternative market.

This was the first issue...I want to see if it gets better.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Yeah. I posted about it in the other thread.

"I just got the first issue today! It was a nice change from what I am use to and I think it will be good bathroom material for my husband. I didn't care much for the Frydaddy Jr. section. I know it's suppose to be funny, but it just seemed a waste of space to me. I loved the advertising!"

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I got mine yesterday, too. Didn't have time to read a lot of it, but I did flip through and liked the ads. Now I have more options of where to shop for vegan goods.

I'm hoping it gets better with time--it's a very good idea and I like the idea of having a fun magazine about being veg*n, but it seemed to me like the few things I had time to read were mostly fluff underneath a layer of gen X angst.

I'll probably give Herbivore a couple more issues before I decide completely, but right now it's not looking like I'll be a subscriber.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Oh and I agree about the cussing being excessive. A little wouldn't have bothered me, but it seems like they added so much in an attempt to be cool. There are a lot of underage vegans whose parents will probably be put off by it.

I'm with muppet. It will get better with time.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Ok, so I went home over lunch and read the interviews (with the co-author of How it All Vegan and the guy that does Bizarro) and I thought they were both good interviews.

I think Herbivore just needs some time to grow...with any luck, the next issue will be better and it will keep on improving. Most new ventures aren't terribly successful right off the bat.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Sorry Muffcake if I had you buy something you didn't really like! I guess I should have included that I have a dark sense of humor, so what I consider funny, others might find tasteless or offensive. The cursing didn't really bother me ( I'm trying to break my husband of his constant cursing ). Maybe as the magazine progresses, some things will change. I really dug the interview with Sarah Kramer, she's such a cool woman. It just really appealed to me because of it's non-depressing subjects and non-hippy quality ( again, no offense mean to all you tree-huggers! )

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got back from my honeymoon and found the first issue in the mail, which was a pleasant suprise. I haven't read it yet, but it doesn't look bad. I'm all for supporting anything that helps to promote veganism a little more, so I subscribed for a year. For only $15, it's worth it. If I'm not very impressed with it after that, I won't renew.

Either way, I think it's great that something like this is out.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I think this magazine will only get better with time. Heck it was their first issue. I got mine in the mail the other day, flipped through it and was really glad to have come across it. I am not Vegan per se, but it allowed me to read about it more, and find out where I could get products.

I will buy more, that is for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.