VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone knew how hens were as pets? also where would one find hens anyhow? we have a huge scorpion problem and I have been looking into alternative pest control other than spraying...anyhow I heard hens are great for this though I was wondering what kinds of pets they make or is this just a bad idea?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have had hens in my backyard. I don't know if I would call them pets though. They were more like gossipe friends. At first there were only two hens and a male companion named Rotertiller. They were friendly, appreciated all that we did for them and enjoyed mornings with BuddyKitty and I sitting on their porch at sunrise. I sipped my tea while we discussed what that days plans were.

We soon found ourselves overloaded with too many chickens. Neighbors would drop off older hens when I would comment on what a shame it would be to turn them into soup after they quit laying eggs. I came home to find another neighbor tossing no less then twenty chickens into our garden, thinking that I would not notice the population increase, because they were divorcing and she was not sure he would take care of them all. Lucky for us (pecking orders really do exist and they can get quite nasty) a co-worker of the prince had just bought some property and wanted a few hens and at least one rooster. Once assured that they would not become Sunday supper the prince packed up the newbies and took them to their new island home.

Raccoons ended our peaceful coexistence.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Kamila, I think you are a kindred spirit

I have three old hens in my back yard. A girlfriend moved out of her farmhouse and needed to rehome them somewhere it didn't matter that they don't lay many eggs.

They are sweet old things and often make me laugh. One is fat and thus can be picked up and cuddled. The other two can run faster than me.

They have destroyed all my flower beds and dug holes for dust baths. They eat slugs spiders centipedes and corn. Also they like grass, especially making bald patches in the lawn.

On the downside I've had several near misses with the local foxes, who were here before the hens and regard them as a snack in waiting. They sh!t all over the patio and sometimes in the kitchen. We now have rats who steal the eggs and their food and sometimes get into the attic.

A local cat jumped on one a couple of days ago, frightened the life out of us all. One hen has spurs that have to be trimmed. They crow at dawn, but luckily my neighbour doesn't mind that, as her goose was noisy too.

We don't have scorpions, never did. The hens occasionally eat small lizards and toads and I really wish they wouldn't.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i know someone who raised a chick in the house when the mother abandoned it. he became known as the house-chicken. they put him out with the others once he was big enough (mainly because he was a rooster and at that point began his rooster-ing at 5am waking everyone up)

anyhow, after he was living outside for a while you could still pick him up and pet him and play with his "waddle" and stuff and he'd just sit on your lap. they had one other also that you could pick up, a fat hen, and she'd talk to you while you petted her, very friendly.

both were hand-raised with a lot of touching and attention as soon as they hatched. if you raise hens from babies and give them lots of human contact i'm sure they'll make fine pets. you don't plan to keep them in the house though right, cause they smell

·
Registered
870 Posts
The prince built them a nice run. They had a beautiful house. It was an old one-room homestead that a friend from the forest service gave us. The prince and the boys built a beautiful nesting area near the east window and a nice nursery near the front door. At the time I had a huge garden fenced with chick wire. We let them have the garden in the winter. We had to keep them fenced, we live in hillbilly central where there are many pit bulls, German shepherds and Rot's who pack up with school children to roam freely.

The prince fixed the hen house so that even clever raccoons could not get in, but while on vacation a nephew was feeding and watering the girls and left the door open at night.

If I did hens again I would take a friends idea and build a chicken mote around my garden (or maybe even my yard). There are still weeds in the garden from the chicken feed that we cannot get rid of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts