VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking I ought to incorporate hemp into my diet - I do eat some foods for omegas (walnuts and flax, particularly), but hemp seems like a really good way to get important fatty acids.

I just went to the store and was inundated with choices - hemp oil, hemp butter, hemp nut butter, etc...

I do like margarine, and I was wondering if hemp butter is similar in taste?

What do people know of hemp food products? Any suggestions or advice on how to incorporate it into my diet

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I bought some chocolate hemp seed ice cream recently. It's quite rich, and I do think you can taste the hemp a bit, but I like it. Bonus: the chocolate and sugar are fair trade).

I've tried hemp seeds and they were pretty good, too.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have heard hemp butter and oils are pretty good and good for you. I have had hemp seed milk before. It wasn't bad. A little strange tasting.

I have also had hemp ice cream which was very rich as cookingVeg pointed out.

I love hemp as a fiber too. I have tons of hemp clothes.

Check out http://www.rawganique.com/

they seel hemp clothes, butter, oils. Lot of info on there

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Is hemp the same as cannibis? I thought it was still illegal to grow hemp. Where do all these products come from?

·
Registered
898 Posts
You use a different part of the hemp plant to produce food and clothing than the part you use to smoke with. Its the same plant.

·
seeker and optimist
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketivnilloc View Post

hemp is way different than cannibus, but hemp still can't legally be grown in the US, so it's imported.
I'm sorry I don't have the time to research this but one of the (I think) northwestern United States did just legalized hemp as a production crop. I read this in the carrot and stick section of Vegetarian Times a few months ago.

also Hemp and cannibis are NOT the same although they are related. Although a field of hemp may look tempting to your novice pothead the THC in hemp is miniscule (less than 2%) whereas other illicit varieties are upwards of 15-20% THC.

Anyone who knows more about this chime in... I may well be wrong about the percentages...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts