VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not had a period since Oct. of last year (FYI:I'm only 35), and thanks to the wonderful work of my reflexologist, I got one on Sunday. When I woke up this morning I thought I was going to die. Don't mean to be graphic, but the flow is heavy and the cramps are hideous. I feel so bad that I have no intention of even leaving my house today. In fact, I just barely took a shower and now, I'm starving, but don't have the desire to get up and go to the kitchen to make something to eat. My poor daughter has been left to fend for herself today. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cope with this problem? Are there any herbal teas that may be soothing? Help, I'm open to any suggestion.

Thanks!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Heat always helps me. A heating pad or a warm shower. I also got a free sample for these disposable heating things with adhesive on them that you wear on your belly right inside your panties. I have never bought them but the sample seemed to work well when I had bad cramps.

Hot tea helps me just because it's soothing. I like peppermint when I'm not feeling well.

Oh, just stay in bed with lots of snuggly blankets and a heating pad! Hugs and hope you feel better soon!!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you pickletatertot - I'm so hungry right now that your name is making me salivate.
I didn't even know they made such as thing as disposable heating things. If I didn't feel so lousy, I'd run to the drugstore and look for some. I have some chamomile tea, blueberry tea, some eucalyptus tea, and some really strong stuff from Africa. I am going to assume that it would be best to avoid the African tea, but maybe the chamomile or the eualyptus one? Oh...if only the hubby were home or a friend were around to help me. I could force myself to go to the store, but I'm lying around with double pads on and a loose dress and i don't feel like changing clothes. Sometimes I hate being female...... Thanks for the hugs...I need one.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I just read that to decrease cramps, ensure you are getting enough EFAs (essential fatty acids). Also check your zinc intake, and be sure you're getting enough.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i'm all about warmth when it comes to cramps... taking a nice warm bath, curling up with a warm rice pillow, drinking warm tea or soup, they're all of my best friends for a few days.

in the menstruation thread somebody mentioned catnip in pill form did wonders to tame periods down, but it takes a while to take full effect so it probably wouldn't help much right now.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi Aarealskei - I know just what you are talking about.

First of all - you really need to see your doctor. There could be a problem and you don't want to discount that. But - what has worked for me is Kava Kava and there is a wild yam cream which is a progesterone cream. It's a completely natural form of progesterone without all the nasty side effects of taking a pill!

Also - cut down on caffeine products! they are bound to make things a lot worse and this isn't what you want.

hope this helps!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, all, for the kind words and the wonderful suggestions. As it turns out, I had a double whammy. Last night, I started to run a fever and became sick at my stomach. Turns out, I've managed to catch a bug. I think this may have compounded my problems with my period. I took today and basically stayed in bed or laid on the couch. I haven't even taken a shower, but my fever is gone, and I'm feeling some better. I'm just going to take it one step at a time. Thanks again.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, Dee. It's funny...when I didn't have my period for 6 months, I knew that wasn't good, but once I got it again, I've hated having it. It's one of those "d*mned if you do and d*mned if you don't" situations. You know it's not healthy to go without, but it's not something you really miss. Thanks for the sympathy...let's hope the catnip works.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I loved it when I didn't have mine! But, I know what you mean: It worries you because you know you should have it! Unfortunately, it was because I was under *extreme* stress that it arrested. When my stress went away, it helped it to come back; but it took an iron supplement to jump start it. It started immediately -- like the next day! -- after I took the iron. A doctor told me I had an iron deficiency, and with the stress, it really did me in.

I hope you feel better soon. Cramps are awful. And stay away from caffeinated teas too!

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
Go to the Dr. The old body clock is supposed to still be working right at your age. At least find out if there is anything structurally wrong. Calsium in great quanities eases pain. Ibuprofen helps greatly. Stay very warm. Try to sleep.

·
Registered
0 Posts
White willow bark, in veg capsule form, is a pain reliever akin to aspirin. In fact, white willow bark was the natural stuff that the synthetic aspirin was modeled after. You may try to find some of that. It's mostly helped me with harnassing headaches... I typically don't have rough periods, but I have had a few that left me feeling totally destroyed.

There is a yoga position designed for the relief of period pains. I'll try to describe it as best as I can. Lay on your side (it doesn't matter which, but let's just say it's your right side). Cradle your right arm back under your head, like a pillow. Curl your knees up toward your chest (seed pose). Loop your left big toe around the achilles tendon of your right foot. (Your left big toe on one side, your left second toe on the other.) Focus on your breathing and on relaxing/letting go as you breathe. I hope that wasn't confusing.

This is what my old yoga instructor told the women in the class to do...

Also, red raspberry leaf is brilliant stuff for your girl parts. Keeps everything ripe and healthy. This won't help you immediately, but if you drink red raspberry leaf tea regularly throughout the month, it makes those repro parts happy.

I hope you're feeling better!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been to the doctor regarding my periods numerous times and I've yet to find someone who really gives a hoot. Some docs tell me that it's no big thing to not have a period, while others try to place me on birth control pills. I've done the BCP thing, and those only make me sicker. I've had a couple of exploratory surgeries and a couple of D&C's, and yet...the problem continues. My reflexologist is the first person who actually looked at my thyroid problems, my depression, my diabetes, and my abnormal periods and related all of this to hormone problems. She is working at treating me for this. I appreciate all the wonderful advice, especially the ones that suggest natural treatments. While I know we need modern medicine, my experiences with it has been less than favorable, so finding alternative treatments and using herbs, etc. is a real plus for me. Thanks everyone!!!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
My periods have been really irregular, too. When I get them, they're either light or very heavy. I've noticed that having a lot of stress or being depressed impacts them. I've also noticed that keeping different sleep and eating schedules throws them off, too.

My last period ended a week ago and before that I hadn't had it for two months! I had been under a lot of stress and was worried sick about my husband. He was on sick leave, getting short-term disability, so it was mostly up to me to come up with the money for rent, bills, and food. Once he went back to work, I had my period the next day. It was like a huge weight that had been taken off of my shoulders.

There have been other times that my period has been off like that. I noticed at the time I wasn't keeping the same sleeping schedule, eating at the same times, exercising, or sleeping in the same bed at night (there was a time when half the week we'd stay at our place, the other half at my mother-in-laws). That changed again when I started working. I only had problems again when another huge stress entered my life, which was my husband's seizures due to his diabetes (which was why he was on sick leave).

My period has also taken a vacation when I've been ultra depressed or unhappy with myself. When that happened, I found that being true to myself (by living according to my values and morals--which I hadn't been doing at the time) and taking care of myself (improving diet, exercise, sleep, and my emotional support) got me out of that depressed slump.

If your schedule hasn't been the same, my biggest suggestion is to go to bed at roughly the same time every night (even weekends) and wake up at roughly the same time every morning (no more than an hour difference). I'd also do the same thing with meal times. It doesn't seem like much, but our period is a cycle and for it to work the other cycles in our life have to be working properly. Also, make sure you're eating enough calories and getting enough nutrients. If you're not, your body will go into starvation mode and won't have a period because it wants to hold onto everything.

If you've been depressed, talk to a friend. Get professional help if you need it (it sounds like you've done this). Get outside to enjoy the sunshine. Do the things that make you happy. If you're stressed out, do what you can to remove stress. Sometimes we try to do too much without asking for help. Maybe your husband or a friend could watch your daughter for an hour or two while you have some time for yourself to read a book, go for a walk, or whatever. Meditation/prayer/breathing also help with stress a lot. Sometimes letting go of a friend, job, or other stressful part of your life is what you need.

Wow, I've rambled on a lot.
A lot of this stuff isn't easy to do, but sometimes sorting all this stuff out is what it takes to not only have a regular period, but to have a healthy body and mind.

·
Registered
0 Posts
starhawk is a pretty reliable source if you're into this kind of thing. some people would say you can't modify the way my notes suggest and some people would say do it however you want. either way you might find it helpful. good luck!

0k . file

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tearhsong2 - I can't believe I just finally read your post. What you have said hit home to me. I have been under a tremendous amount of stress and my depression couldn't be worse. My eating habits are out of whack - I eat at weird times. I don't sleep much anymore and I never end up in the same place to sleep in my house, either. I haven't felt happy in ages. Just the other day a friend of mine mentioned to me that she noticed that I never seem to have time for myself. She is right. Even when I go to the gym, I take my daughter and lately, I've also been taking a neighbor girl who doesn't have a way to the gym without my help. We end up working out together, so my usual workout routine is also off right now.

Wow...I guess I have a lot to ponder over. Thanks for sharing the info. that you did.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.