VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what you guys say when you DON'T want a witty comeback, but, rather, an influential tidbit of info.

When meat-eating folk say all of these lovely things, such as:

I could NEVER be a vegetarian.

I LOVE meat.

I would be a vegetarian, but I can't cook.

I would miss my _____ too much.

How do you get protein?

I work out too much, I couldn't get enough protein/iron/_____.

It costs too much.

There are no vegetarian foods at my store. (
)

etc., etc., If you want to be HELPFUL, and actually give a response that will help them see your way, or at least make them think - - what kinds of things do you say? To make people think it's a GOOD idea?.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
I really like this question. I love trying to be a little educational when I can.

For "I could never be a vegetarian", it all depends on who is telling me that. If it's some coworker or someone in a store that I know I am never going to have a significant amount of time with, I usually tell them that I, like them, really used to enjoy a good 17oz prime rib, steak sandwiches, and was generally of the "more cheese is better mentality (since I am vegan)". I did not stop eating meat because I did not like it. I stopped because (select ONE easy reason to talk about: it's better for the environment, it's better for my health, my belief is that an animal shouldn't die for me to eat it.) Any of these topics could become long and complex and that's exactly what you don't want. You just give them a little tidbit, and they usually nod. Sometimes, they will tell you that they have nothing against what you're doing, but they just could not do it. You're trying to leave a tidbit with them -- not get them into a headlock and bend their pinky back until they scream they'll become vegetarian. I usually just smile and say, "EWell, that's why I am a vegetarian." If they see you again, they'll probably have some questions about something they saw on TV or a current event that they're sure would interest you. If you present your information in a friendly manner, oftentimes, a door will open.

If it's one of my friends, I usually just smile and bring them familiar foods occasionally. Potato salad for the barbecue, chocolate cake with normal looking frosting. If it looks like something they've eaten all their life and it looks good, after a while, they will dip into it.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

I didn't think I could do it either, it's surprisingly easy

I LOVE meat.

It's amazing how after not eating meat for a while it just doesn't seem like food anymore

Refer to vegetarian cookbook

See answer 2

How do you get protein?

From vegetables mostly

You could always try supplements, but you probably won't need to

It costs too much.

You don't actually need to buy any expensive meat substitutes

There are no vegetarian foods at my store.

Is your store a butcher? Anything that isn't meat is vegetarian

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Great thread!

I don't mind "showing by example" but I have never, ever had good luck with anyone actually listening after they ask a question like the above however...

In my experience most people aren't asking because they want education, but because they want a reaction out of me or are feeling guilty.

In those cases, if my answer is more than three or four words, I've lost them.

Do they WANT to know what I eat for protein? Probably not. Do they WANT to know it wasn't that hard to be vegetarian? I doubt it. Do they WANT to know what I can order in restaurants? Not usually. In my experience anyway.

Not saying it's not worth a shot though.

Probably why I started the "Witty responses..." thread. I need short and sweet for the people I come in contact with.

Then again, I educate people all day long. When I get to the grocery store or the restaurant, maybe I'm just sick of trying to be "educational".

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

I was just wondering what you guys say when you DON'T want a witty comeback, but, rather, an influential tidbit of info.

Of course you can. Just don't put meat in your mouth, chew it up, or swallow it.

It costs too much.

Vegetables are cheaper than meat. Being a vegetarian isn't expensive if you don't center your entire diet around special-made vegetarian TV dinners and meat substitutes.

You mean, there's no vegetables, rice, bread, fruit, nuts, beans, at your store, and that everything has meat in it? Man, that's one messed-up store!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts

Sure you could. All it takes is a little will power and motivation and anyone could be a vegetarian.

I LOVE meat.

I used to be a person who loved meat and ate a lot of it, but being educated and willing to change myself showed me that there are tons of other foods to love that don't include suffering and death in the processing aspect.

I could cook before I went vegan, but I invested in some cookbooks and took some time to learn. Practice makes perfect. Besides, you don't have to be the next Emeril Lagasse.

I thought the same thing until I found substitutes and other many delicious foods to love.

How do you get protein?

You can get protein from all sorts of grains, soy, tofu, beans and legumes.

If you eat right, you can plenty of all of these essentials on a veg*an diet.

It costs too much.

It doesn't really cost more than being on a omnivorous diet. At Olive Garden, you could spend $20 on the Tuscan T-Bone, or $8 on some yummy Capellini Pomodoro.

Actually, there was recently a law passed forcing every large chain grocery store to put in a veg*an section.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
I've tried being nice on so many occasions and I end up being made fun of or something worse. Even when I'm calm about my response and VERY nice, I get people rolling my eyes at me or stopping me. I've been surprised about the rudeness I've experienced. I still try to be nice though as much as I can. Here are the responses I use:

-Why not? It's easy, inexpensive, and delicious!

I LOVE meat.

-I used to as well but once I found out where it came from, I couldn't stomach it anymore. They do have meat substitutes that are amazing!

-You don't have to be able to cook to be a vegetarian. It's really no different than eating meat in terms of convienence.

-They have a substitute for that.

How do you get protein?

-From anything. Meat isn't the only protein rich source. Vegetables and meat substitutes are full of protein. Nuts too.

-You absolutely could. Just because you eat meat, that doesn't mean you're getting enough nutrients in your diet. Supplements wouldn't be a bad idea if you felt you were lacking.

It costs too much.

-Actually, I disagree. Vegetables are a lot less expensive than meat. Plus, the cost on your body isn't worth it.

-That's not true. Almost every store sells frozen meatless products. Plus, fruits and vegetables are meat-free. I know your store sells those. There are vegetarian soups, cereals, rice, etc.

·
Registered
139 Posts
One comment that I get that's not listed is

"You mean you can't eat _________" or "Don't you wish you could eat _________".

I always politely say "I can eat anything I want, I chose not to eat ________" or if they push I'll say "If I honestly wanted to eat _____ I would ."

Or I've heard "Isn't it hard?" and I'll say "No, I think it's fun" (it is fun finding new recipes and trying out new foods).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Whats funny about this is that i can get a box of baca burger and a box of baca chicken pattys on sale 2 for $5 at giant. thast 8 meals right there, rolls are a buck. So 8 meals for about $6. Thats cheaper then a big mac meal. As to where a pack of chicken brest is $6 for 2lbs which is like one meal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

Of course you can. Just don't put meat in your mouth, chew it up, or swallow it.

It costs too much.

Vegetables are cheaper than meat. Being a vegetarian isn't expensive if you don't center your entire diet around special-made vegetarian TV dinners and meat substitutes.

You mean, there's no vegetables, rice, bread, fruit, nuts, beans, at your store, and that everything has meat in it? Man, that's one messed-up store!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I've tried being nice on so many occasions and I end up being made fun of or something worse. Even when I'm calm about my response and VERY nice, I get people rolling my eyes at me or stopping me. I've been surprised about the rudeness I've experienced. I still try to be nice though as much as I can.
I've had that too. Someone on here once told me (about trying to get others to give vegetarianism a try) "you catch more flies with honey" - so now whenever I am asked about my diet I try and give informative answers and try not to get too frustrated with the responses I often get from omnis. Some people are just plain rude though, but I try and ignore them!

·
Registered
685 Posts
"Where do you get your ___________?" : From plants. (Or, same place other herbivores get them). _______________are a particularly good source.

"I work out too much..." : Tell you what, let's each get a bicycle and race to (name some spot about fifty miles distant). The winner gets to have her diet accepted as nutritionally adequate for athletes.

"I LOVE meat" : Yeah, I did too, but all things considered it just wasn't worth it to me. Lots of other good stuff to eat.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
great thread!

I could NEVER be a vegetarian. OR I LOVE meat.

"I used to think that too. I was such a carnivore before I went veg. But I feel that this is the right thing to do, so I did it anyway. I don't miss meat at all now.
"

"You can cook as well as I can. Trust me.
"

"have you tried [insert veg replacement product here]?" or alternatively, "oh well, I find that meat looks less appealing the longer you've been veg."

those are some of the ones I have used. I don't think it's ever made anyone vegetarian, but it's alright for shutting people up if you can't be rude for whatever reason.

·
Registered
326 Posts
"I could NEVER be a vegetarian."

I used to say that.

I LOVE meat.

I used to say that.

It's easier to cook vegetarian than not. If you undercook chicken, for example, you could get very sick. But if you undercook broccoli, well, it's still okay.

How do you get protein?

Protein is like fat - too much is bad for you. Now, everything has protein. Protein is the building block, the very definition, of life. Therefore anything that was ever alive, like a plant or an animal - or YOU - has protein.

How much protein (or whatever) do you need? How much is too much? How much are you getting now? (they don't know the answer, heehee
)

·
Registered
330 Posts
How is being a vegetarian more expensive? If anything, I find it cheaper. Adding meat to dishes [especially in restaurants] increases the price of it. So I find it alot cheaper.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I'm with TNS on this one. It just seems that most people say the first thing that comes to mind, just to say something, not because they really want to start a conversation. So if it takes you more than a few words to give an answer, they stop paying attention. Besides, if you give a serious answer, they might think you take yourself too seriously.

That's why I really think that just cracking a joke is the way to go. Show them that veg*ns aren't all humorless extremists. This is why I like the witty responses thread. Maybe follow up by asking if they really want to know.

--Fromper

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseHerName View Post

How is being a vegetarian more expensive? If anything, I find it cheaper. Adding meat to dishes [especially in restaurants] increases the price of it. So I find it alot cheaper.
Quote the price of tofu at them. I buy it for $2 per pound at a normal supermarket. That's cheaper than any meat.

--Fromper

·
Registered
927 Posts
I think TNS and Froggie are on the right track here. Most people who ask these kind of questions are not looking for information or persuasive feedback. They are nervous or perhaps a little defensive and trying to diffuse those feelings by making conversation.

I think some of the other suggestions here look good in writing on a vegetarian message board, but would probably evoke a contentious reaction in real life.

"I could never be a vegetarian." -

- "Maybe so, but it works for me!"

"I LOVE meat."

- "Yeah, I know what you mean."

"I would be a vegetarian, but I can't cook."

- "Yes, I did have to change some habits."

Acknowledging the other person's point of view diffuses tension and lets them no it's not "dueling diets". When they relax, some may just drop it and move on to a different subject, and some may actually ask something thoughtful to which you can give a more serious response. If they persist prodding after you give good-humored and understanding responses, then they are probably just trying to get a rise out of you, and it won't really matter what you say (or don't say).

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenx0x0 View Post

I've had that too. Someone on here once told me (about trying to get others to give vegetarianism a try) "you catch more flies with honey" - so now whenever I am asked about my diet I try and give informative answers and try not to get too frustrated with the responses I often get from omnis. Some people are just plain rude though, but I try and ignore them!
The thing that usually gets people is when I tell them I lost 15 pounds in 2 months after giving up meat. They usually stop after that. I wonder what a person would say if I mumbled "Stupid omnivore" and walked away. *hehe* I'm going to try it during my next rude encounter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts