VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are cigarettes vegan??

Hi all you there!!!

I was wondering if anyone of you could help me, because i heard the other day that cigarettes are not vegan, is that true?? and , if so, why ???
i'm just really curious about it.
Hope someone can help me. And if you know any site where i can find info about this, please, tell me.

THANX!!!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've kinda been wondering this myself, thanks for the think cookingveg, i'll read the thread when I'm done with this reply.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I've always failed to understand why someone so concerned about the welfare of animals or their own health would continue to smoke. Maybe you could shed some light on that for me/us.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Cigarettes are overwhelmingly of vegetable origin, as opposed to mineral or animal origin, and thus if you buy them and use them however you want, this doesn't make you not fit the definition of vegan.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
epski writes:

============

I've always failed to understand why someone so concerned about the welfare of animals or their own health would continue to smoke. Maybe you could shed some light on that for me/us.

============

*patri* said nothing about being concerned abt the welfare of animal, or their health, or about smoking. There is no reason for you to assume these things were what he were asking, or to reply to him as if it was. All he said was that "I am just really curious."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mmmmh! yes, i was just curious about that fact, didn't even think about them testing on animals or anything like that, i was just like " cigarettes not vegan?? WEIRD!!! "
But now i know and understand, thanks you all!

And also, Thanx soilman!!!!,
you are totally right, i didn't said i smoke or anything like that, in fact, i used to, but i quited
really proud of myself i am. And, what if i smoked?? it's my own choice, like people living vegan or being omnis or whatever....it's just about being respectful about what other people chose to do w/ their lives, isn't it? At least that's the way i think.

Again, thanks!!!

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
*patri*, being vegan or vegetarian is a positive choice for someone to make. Smoking, however, is not, and it impacts everyone/everything the smoker is near when he/she smokes. I'm quite allergic to tobacco and am impacted on a daily basis by those who are insensitive to everyone around them when they smoke. And keep in mind that smoking was a choice for each smoker initially, but it quickly becomes a chemical addiction. P.S. I'm not trying to alienate any of the smokers here
And, BRAVO *patri* for quitting!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, yes, i know that smoking is harmful and it becomes an addiction..... but there are so many other different things like that and that people don't really think about or care about...... i just really don't like people making up thoughts about me from the nothing ....

and again, i really think all is about respect, i mean, of course smokers should respect non smokers and vice-versa, and so on..... See, it might be loads of people that are complaining about smokers, and saying they do really care about the planet and stuff like that, and that is just so ok w/ me, but again, respect, because maybe they are not even thinking about themselves driving cars and all the pollution it produces, or the clothes they might be wearing which might have been made by children .....

It just gets on my nerves that people won't let the rest of the world to have heir own choices...it happens when you talk about vegetarianism/veganism, you are just talking about it without any other hidden intention, and people start yelling and saying stupid things just because it's not their choice, and , of course, it does happen the other way around (some vegans when talking to non vegans....or something like that). And i think that is what is really sick, people should know how to listen and to have a conversation and of couse people need to respect other individuals choices....

and, wow, this is a pretty tough sensitive huge topic i'm writing about, and i don't even know if i have explained myself , it's quite hard, it's just all this stuff in my mind but i just can't seem to write (type) it all down correctly......

and, mmmmh, sorry if my english isn't that good...my spelling is usually horrible....
SORRY!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
there it goes......
well, i, from my point of view, think that is not a stupid question, and i think it might have been useful for some people......

stupid question?? oh well.....so, what?? you are totally unpolite.

QTDN X AHI!!!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by soilman

epski writes:

============

============

*patri* said nothing about being concerned abt the welfare of animal, or their health, or about smoking. There is no reason for you to assume these things were what he were asking, or to reply to him as if it was. All he said was that "I am just really curious."
I didn't assume that he was asking those things, nor did I reply to him as if he was. I think you read into it what you wanted to. I never even implied any criticism of patri (or anyone) for smoking.

What I did assume was that because patri was asking whether or not cigarettes are vegan, she is a) vegan and b) vegan for the animals and/or for health. If that was an incorrect, I expected her to let me know, but that's between myself and patri, and I don't see how you enter into it.

At any rate, I've met other vegans who smoke, and it didn't occur to me to ask them at the time why they smoke, so when it occurred to me here, I thought I'd take to the liberty of asking my own sincere question, which is a perfectly legimate activity, so butt out, soilman.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i think this was a very good question.

i was asking this same thing to my sister and her husband recently as i was hoping to gain some extra incentive to quit smoking.

and yes, as you guys stated, and as my sis pointed out to me today with some rather gruesome pictures and articles.

they aren't vegan at all.

i just don't see why people do animal testing.

especially with something like cigarrettes!!!

WE KNOW WHAT THEY DO TO YOU. IT IS OBVIOUS.

10 trillion humans are afflicted every year with endless health problems caused by smoking these things.

that's 10 trillion willing test subjects that all show the same thing: SMOKING CAUSES LUNG CANCER, HEART DISEASE, EMPHYSEMA, BIRTH DEFECTS, etc..

the same thing it says on every pack.

WHY TEST

grr.

sorry,

i'm just a bit angry

·
Registered
604 Posts
I don't smoke since its illegal for 13 year olds to smoke but I think it was a good question and congradulations on quitting smoking. Did you use the patches, gum or go cold turkey?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Maybe this all just got out of hand ...... mmmh! it wasjust a question..... oh well, hope that at least i didn't "hurt" anyone's feelings and i also really hope i wasn't unpolite or rude

and i just did quit, didn't need any help to do it...

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I don't think it was a stupid question at all. There are lots of veg*ns who smoke and I think it is an important question. I never thought about cigarettes not being veg*n until I saw a thread similar to this back on vegweb.

It's very easy to find info on the health risks with smoking, but not so easy to find out whether they're vegan or not.

*patri*--I think your English is fine. No need to apologize for that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts