VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Im new here and I need some support in my decision to become vegetarian and then vegan. So yeah I currently eat meats except for pork. It seems that whenever I go without any meat for a while, I get very fatigued and I get bad migraines. Perhaps I just need more veggie protein? Its just so overwhelming to me (all the info) and I dont really know where to start. Any help, advice, references ect would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Are you getting enough fat in your diet? This was happening to me also, until I started adding more fat in my diet.<br><br>
I used to get fat free soymilk and fat free everything, the lower the fat the better. You need fat, though.<br><br><br><br>
Here is a great website with recipes and even more support<br><br><a href="http://www.vegsource.com" target="_blank">www.vegsource.com</a><br><br>
Chef Deborah is a culinary genious!<br><br>
I love her almond-rice milk on my morning cereal, I eat her tofu burgers, and Falafel with tahini sauce all of the time. Another of her recipes I use a lot is Alternative Cookies, just like Alternative Baking Company's cookies. Many people that don't like soy milk love almond and rice milk and you can make your own almond milk/rice milk at a fraction of the cost.<br><br><br><br>
Shannon

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
hey shadowbeauty, great to hear that you'd like to give it a try! anyway, i personally believe that the easiest way to become vegetarian is a gradual change. i know that when i first started, i used to stock up on all the fake meats. you know, veggie soyburgers, veggie nuggets, veggie deli slices, and so on. some brands are certainly better than others but if taste is important to you, i'd recommend the morningstar brand, they're stuff is pretty darn close to the taste of meat (almost to the point of being scary).<br><br><br><br>
once you've done this, i'd suggest slowly working yourself off of the fake meats and onto more typical veggie foods - tofu, seitan, quinoa, hummus, etc.<br><br><br><br>
just try not to rush into it headfirst or your body might have a little trouble adapting. and be sure to eat a variety of different foods to cover everything you need. you know, veggies, fruits, nuts, beans, carbos, protein, etc. eventually you can try weening out dairy, cheese, and eggs.<br><br><br><br>
just do a little at a time and move further into it as you feel comfortable. every bit helps!<br><br><br><br>
anyway, when i first went vegetarian, i read up at veganoutreach.org. just like you, i wanted to become vegan but i started off vegetarian and didn't make the transition to vegan until a year later.<br><br><br><br>
good luck!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I've found that I get bad headaches as a result of not eating enough fat in my diet too. Try eating more peanut butter, nuts, and seeds. Eating those things usually help my headaches go away. Maybe they'll help you too.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think you might be getting migraines and feeling fatigued because your body may be going thru withdrawl symptoms.I know that when I eliminate sugar from my diet,I get headaches and feel very tired.It might be that your body is trying to eliminate the toxins that's put in meat.It may take a few days for your body to adapt to your newer way of eating.Then you should start to feel better.<br><br>
Just a thought....<br><br>
Have you read The Vegetarian Way book by Virginia Messina?It is an excellent book that also has a great meal planning guide in there to assure that you get all the right nutrients.It also has a 9 step plan chapter on how to become a vegetarian.Maybe you can get it from your library?<br><br><br><br>
Good luck to you!<br><br><br><br>
VM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts