VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The city I am in has a pet-store that is shameful. A friend of ours went to the back and saw a dog laying dead in an aquarium. They buy from puppy mills, don't separate any animals as far as sex goes and when they start to breed continue keeping them together because they don't know "what one it is thats breeding."

It breaks my heart just to drive by the sign on the side of the road. It's always filthy, with bird droppings from the front to the back and looks as though it's never cleaned up. Also, many of the animals end up sick and in quarantine at least once a month or more.

I have inquired to various forums about pet store regulations for ontario and have been told there aren't any! I think that is horrible. I thought about looking up animal rights but don't know where to start. My idea is to write a letter to the editor regarding this issue.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Write that letter! There will be lots of sympathetic people who will see it. That horrible place should get as much bad publicity as possible! You should also complain to the city. Even if there aren't any regulations concerning pet stores, you can still charge this place with animal cruelty by way of neglect.

·
Registered
385 Posts
That is horrible. Atleast keep the females and males seperate. That's a great way to prevent inbreeding and the spread of diseases that the puppies can be born with. There was a DEAD DOG?! That's shameful. Yes, write a letter and get friends to do the same. Show people, tell people, whats going on. With all that bad publicity, some one will have to get in trouble for animal cruelty. What about the ASPCA? On Animal Planet, the have a show about them. Get the ASPCA after that store!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the support in the issue, but I need facts to back up my arguments. We have an OSPCA (Ontario, Canada) but they don't do anything. Everytime I've been in there people come in to make complaints, everybody I talk to has called. It's obviously not enough. I've overheard people talking about the puppies they got from there.

They usually have about 5+ puppies of 8+ different breeds, and get more everyday. Now they have a new sign outside that says "Puppies, Aquatics" and something or other else.

I need to know what they can and can't do with resources to back me up in the letter. I don't know where to start, so any information is welcome.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Could you take pictures with a phone or something to back up your claims when you write the letter? Especially of the poor animals. Try to make it look like your not taking pictures or they will throw you out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you want something a little more direct action, handbilling the store could probably be pretty effective. Especially so in a situation where it is obviously not ethical but perhaps not illegal.

The thought of dead and mistreated pets gets at most people's conscience.

It's a little more involved and requires some research to make sure you are legally abiding by your local rules and regulations, but it can be a very effective form of pressure.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Take pictures,make phone calls,document everything,protest outside of that store with pamphlets and signs.One thing that you would have to check on is the possibility that you may not be allowed to march around outside but if you are,I would do it.I would also call the humane association in your area every day and have other people call as well.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They've been called, and don't care. I'm not the type to organize outward events (shy quiet type) which is why I'm going with the letter to the editor thing. I need help with animal rights issues that can support how wrong it is to treat these animals this way..

·
Registered
207 Posts
try and get video footage, hide it under a coat or something btu get video evedence.

Then if you have no success with what to do or nobody will help you , come back here and tell me and although I am in the UK , I will try and help with getting people who will help.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why I'm not sure. They are too busy taking the animals away from people that bought them from there in the first place I guess. You'd think they'd want to get to the route of the problem. Before I knew better I got a black-bear hamster from them. I was trying to help him because I don't like that petstore and then took him to another petstore so they could look at him. They then told me he had "wet-tail" and gave me some medication. He died two days later, but at least for those two days he had a nice big 20 gallon aquarium to run around in, toys to play with and good food to eat.

They don't give any health warrenty things, nothing. I don't understand why the humane society here won't do anything either. I'm sure people surrender sick pets to the them all the time from that place. Get to the source of the problem people! I could go on forever..

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Who exactly did you call? The local animal shelter, or the actual ASPCA? I think the first thing to do is to look up your local state, and county laws on not only animal cruelty but also sanitation and other regulations. Maybe call a local or state chapter of a larger organization such as HSUS and ask for advice. Get a small camcorder or cell phone that takes pictures or video (you can get camera and video recorders that look like pens now) and get evidence. Call local media, like your local news guy who does the investigative scandal type stories.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Thalia, now I feel I have some options for where to start beyond whats been done and without having to draw attention to myself.

Everybody has been a big help.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
The strongest weapon you have against this type of despicable business is to take money out of their pockets. They are profiting from these behaviors or else they would not be doing them. Make it bad business for them to run this type of pet store. How do you do that? By educating their potential customers. Many people feel the same way you do: they see the horrible conditions and feel sorry for the animals, and so purchase them to 'save' them. It may seem like the right thing to do, but unfortunately all it does it put the money into the hands of the pet store owners and encourages them to continue their practice. And sadly enough, the pets 'saved' are always ultimately replaced by another pet that also needs saving.

To either put this store out of business or make them change their ways, people must first express their distaste for what they see in the store. Have you talked to the store owner (not just the employees) about how you feel? You can do this by way of a letter or an email if you don't like personal confrontation. Don't attack the owner - simply state that you find the conditions in the pet store appalling and you will not support them. That hits them where it hurts - in their pocket book. You must also convince others to do the same. A good way to do that is with the letter to the editor you mentioned.

The pet store owner will likely try to tell you that they get their puppies not from puppy mills, but from 'breeders' (but yet will likely be unwilling or unable to provide the name and address of these mysterious breeders). The thing is, 'responsible' breeders (and I use the term somewhat loosely as they are still ultimately creating more animals in a world already overpopulated with unwanted pets) would never, ever, EVER sell their dogs to a pet store. Breeders who actually care for their pets would never want them to end up in that environment, which is horrible for puppies who need a lot of attention, socialization, and training, and pet stores do not usually do much (if any) screening of the buyers of the puppies (other than age, if there is a law in place).

So I strongly encourage you to write your letter. Feel free to post it here for proof reading if you are comfortable with that.

Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts